[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE 2000 SOLARA V6 AUTO
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE 2000 SOLARA V6 AUTO

TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE 2000 SOLARA V6 AUTO

Postby JAYDEE23 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:53 pm

I noticed a request for this and i just did my 2000 solara v6 so here ya go

-Buy gasket/filter kit and fluid. you need a dexron III type fluid (5 qts). i like all mobil 1 fluids and there are two option for filter kit.
you can buy just the gasket (about $8.) and not change the strainer aka filter or
you can buy the gasket and filter in a kit(about $20). this is the prefered method as most auto stores do not sell just the gasket and why go through all this and not change the filter

-Drive car to heat up fluid (drains faster and carries more sediment). i prefer to let it sit an hour so it is not super hot but thats up to you.

-Jack up car and use jack stands for saftey or blocks of wood or what have you.

-You need to first drain fluid of course. the pan is located on the drivers side and uses a 11mm? (i forget) allen head screw. If you are not changing filter/strainer proceed to **** below

-After you drain all fluid you will need to remove all the bolts that hold the pan to the car. A good method is to leave the four screws closest to each corner tightened and remove the rest. Then you can remove the remaining corners. Loosen either the front two or rear two at a faster pace than the others so you know what end the fluid in the pan will start seeping from. After fliud has drained from pan revove it.

-Clean pan out. Clean magnets in pan and place them back in the same vicinity as you got them. Clean any old gasket residue off pan to ensure a good seal w/ the new gasket.

-Remove old strainer/filter and replace w/ a new one. This is pretty straight foward. Above the pan you will see it held in place with only 3 screws same size as pan screws except longer.

-Re-attach pan. Place gasket on the pan and push through the bolts. This will allow the gasket to retain the bolts as you place the pan back and the screws wont fall out on you while you are trying to start them. Tighten bolts in an even fashion. Criss cross is the prefered method i believe for this.

_Thats it add fluid. \3.5 qts. is a good start as that is probably what came out maybe a bit more. Start car and move shifter up and down the gears. Now i had a real hard time determining what i had in there as the fluid gets deposited on the stick as you pull it out so be carful.
JAYDEE23
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby toyotaholic » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:42 pm

is this the same as a tranny flush?
life's bubblelicious
toyotaholic
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Nyyankees3511 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:52 pm

No its not but if your fluid is still red it keeps it fresh. A whole flush takes around 12 qts.
1999 SLE Red metallic/black interior
TRD RSB, Jim's Torque rod, K&N, Interior leds
Nyyankees3511
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby rec » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:38 am

do solora's have the one screw to drain first ?
Mine is black.......
rec
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Eye8Pussies » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:25 pm

^ yup...but as a correction to what jaydee said, it's a 10mm allen head...and make sure you get a strong key, since the drain bolt is held in tight
HaHa

Ripped...and the girls are loving it. ;)
Eye8Pussies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby bassthrive » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:15 pm

is the filter replaceable? i thought it was just a mesh screen that could be washed out and replaced.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby Somedude » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:19 pm

Wouldn't it be kind of dangerous working with boiling hot transmission fluid? Is it okay if I did the drain and refill while the car's engine is not hot?

thanks for the tutorial.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity,
but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power". -Abraham Lincoln
Somedude
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby rec » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:48 pm

im going to leave mine off for atleast 1 hour. i have to drive about 15 before i do the change
Mine is black.......
rec
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby rec » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:35 pm

i did the transmission oil change today and my car runs like a mercedes nice and smoothe, compared to how it was before i did it. I bought the filter and the gasket. It was really hot :X thanks alot jaydee this tutorila helped me alot so did the video tutorial. you saved me $50 :)
Mine is black.......
rec
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Midias » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:44 pm

Any one know about howmuch fluid would be needed for a 99 4cyl camry.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE 2000 SOLARA V6 AUTO

Postby Got2XLR8 NYX » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:31 pm

I know I'm bumping this from 2006 but... is this pretty much the same for the 5 Speed trannys? did a search and didnt find anything...
5Speed 2000 SC V6 @ 4.5PSI
TRD Lip Kit : TRD Exhaust : TRD RSB : TRD SC : TSW REVO 17x8
CAI Extention : TWM Short Shifter : Injen Intake : DIY Black Housing : Renova Grille : ACT 6 Puck : Jim's Fuel Mod : Walbro 190 : JIC FSTB
Got2XLR8 NYX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5