[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - crispmongo air filter = HP!!!
Post pictures or videos of your Solara and Camry!

crispmongo air filter = HP!!!

Postby Fletch » Tue May 15, 2007 5:59 am

Nice work. Now fab up some kind of heat shield and leave enough distance from the heat shield to the filter.
I have thermocouples and a simple control box at work. It would be fun to measure air temp by the intake while driving with and without "said" heat shield.
2006 Legacy GT spec.B

(Totaled) '99 SE V6, TRD S/C, 5.5 psi Pulley, Jim's Fuel Upgrade, TRD Shortshifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Lightweight Flywheel, Tokico / Eibach, TRD RSB, 2.5" Custom Y-Pipe, Greddy Cat-Back
Fletch
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Tue May 15, 2007 8:10 pm

Fletch wrote:Nice work. Now fab up some kind of heat shield and leave enough distance from the heat shield to the filter.
I have thermocouples and a simple control box at work. It would be fun to measure air temp by the intake while driving with and without "said" heat shield.

If I build the box, I'll take you up on the thermalcouples... 8)

Does anyone have an "overbored" throttlebody on a late model Solara?

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Sebas007 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:58 am

I received THE mongo bongo !!

What is the hints to avoid battery bracket...do I have to take off the battery...install the oversize filter...get the battery back ?
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby crispone » Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm

Sebas007 wrote:I received THE mongo bongo !!

What is the hints to avoid battery bracket...do I have to take off the battery...install the oversize filter...get the battery back ?

Yup... I suppose you did it by now?

Any changes for you?

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Sebas007 » Fri May 25, 2007 4:58 am

I didn't test it enough to talk too much. I notice however a better response between the end of a gear and the start of an other. It fits pretty tight I wonder how it react with the engine displacement when we gun it. I'll tell you more about it later. Next step would be to do something to avoid sucking this hot air.

To do a great job...the battery has to go in the rear trunk ! My buddy made his home-made CAI extension for his '98 Civic Si. I'll go see the diff with him. I calculate that the gain from fresh air would be around 2% to 3% more power. I used only the temp factor...since all the other parameters will remain unchanged (barometric pressure, humidity, etc...)

I'll surely do the 2.5" piping...to fits our next headers + Y-pipe to have a complete solution !
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Fri May 25, 2007 6:34 am

^^ Ditto. Already planning on getting a CAI setup created for mine once the headers/Y are done as well. Will refer to JP on the cat-back situation. from what he told me before, it's only going to change the exhaust note and not affect performance much, but we'll see.
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby crispone » Fri May 25, 2007 6:37 am

Sebas007 wrote:I didn't test it enough to talk too much. I notice however a better response between the end of a gear and the start of an other. It fits pretty tight I wonder how it react with the engine displacement when we gun it. I'll tell you more about it later. Next step would be to do something to avoid sucking this hot air.

To do a great job...the battery has to go in the rear trunk ! My buddy made his home-made CAI extension for his '98 Civic Si. I'll go see the diff with him. I calculate that the gain from fresh air would be around 2% to 3% more power. I used only the temp factor...since all the other parameters will remain unchanged (barometric pressure, humidity, etc...)

I'll surely do the 2.5" piping...to fits our next headers + Y-pipe to have a complete solution !

You noticed the SAME thing I notice! The SHIFTS are a little "harder" between gears! (This MUST be an indication that there is a little more power at the shift points, right? Perhaps less "drop-off" of power at the PEAK RPM just before the shift is initiated?)

I wonder too, if the increased "aggressiveness" during the shift point is due to VACUUM that is stronger because of the increased flow at the high RPM points leading into the shift?

Either way, I believe there is a bit of gain... and I'm sticking to that story after a couple thousand miles since my crispmongo filter mod!

Keep us posted on your thoughts, Sebas!

PS What do you think about the sound? (Not quite so loud, I think... but a little "lower frequency" and a little less "sucky", perhaps? 8) )

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby crispone » Fri May 25, 2007 6:41 am

PXLpainter wrote:^^ Ditto. Already planning on getting a CAI setup created for mine once the headers/Y are done as well. Will refer to JP on the cat-back situation. from what he told me before, it's only going to change the exhaust note and not affect performance much, but we'll see.

Yeah, me too... but I want to see someone elses BATTERY RELOCATION ideas! (I'd like it on the RIGHT rear side... so less weight is on the DRIVER side, and better RIGHT/LEFT balance overall. Same for the SUB if I get the "stealth/molded" enclosure like some of you have...)

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Sebas007 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:32 am

crispone wrote:
PXLpainter wrote:^^ Ditto. Already planning on getting a CAI setup created for mine once the headers/Y are done as well. Will refer to JP on the cat-back situation. from what he told me before, it's only going to change the exhaust note and not affect performance much, but we'll see.

Yeah, me too... but I want to see someone elses BATTERY RELOCATION ideas! (I'd like it on the RIGHT rear side... so less weight is on the DRIVER side, and better RIGHT/LEFT balance overall. Same for the SUB if I get the "stealth/molded" enclosure like some of you have...)

Tacti did a good job...he has more space to play with. He has the 4 banger. He turns the battery to the other way. It is a bit near the engine tho but he succeed to do his CAI !

For us...let see but in my opinion...I only see the trunk has a good place. I saw a good setup on Turbo Gen 1 at Mid Atlantic meet last year. A casing bolted in the trunk . Very clean setup !
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Midias » Fri May 25, 2007 10:59 am

Just make sure if it goes in the trunk it is a sealed battery such as an optima you don't want it venting in your car.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:35 pm

PXLpainter wrote:Injen is way smaller diameter (2-1/2" dia I believe - but I'd have to measure it to be sure).

That filter is comical Chris! :D

I'm going to eventually go CAI with my setup this Summer - looking forward to actual MEASURABLE difference there as well! ;)

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby iinokturnolii » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:01 am

i think gen 2's Injen SRi is 3" in diameter

http://www.injen.com/galleries/products ... ctions.pdf

can anybody vouch?

so im going through K & N filters site and found these smaller/similar "crispongos " and wonder if they would fit on the Injen SRI?

-here's the "Crispmongo" specs:
E-0773 Product Specifications

Product Style: Round Straight Universal Air Filter
Flange Inside Diameter: 3.625 in (92 mm)
Flange Length: 0.75 in (19 mm)
Flange Type: Centered
Height: 7.25 in (184 mm)
Outside Diameter: 5.813 in (148 mm)
Top Style: Rubber
Top Material/Finish: None
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.76 oz (52 ml)
Weight: 1.4 lb (0.6 kg)
Product Box Length: 11 in (279 mm)
Product Box Width: 6.5 in (165 mm)
Product Box Height: 6.5 in (165 mm

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... rod=E-0773

-the one closest to crispmongos specs:
E-0774 Product Specifications

Flange Inside Diameter: 3.313 in (84 mm)
Flange Length: 0.75 in (19 mm)
Height: 7.25 in (184 mm)
Outside Diameter: 5.813 in (148 mm)
Inner Wire: No
Weight: 1.4 lb (0.6 kg)
Product Box Length: 11 in (279 mm)
Product Box Width: 6.5 in (165 mm)
Product Box Height: 6.5 in (165 mm)

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... rod=E-0774

-and this ones a little smaller and has a flange:
RU-2820 Product Specifications

Flange Inside Diameter: 3 in (76 mm)
Flange Length: 0.625 in (16 mm)
Height: 6.5 in (165 mm)
Outside Diameter: 5 in (127 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.15 oz (34 ml)
Flanges: 1
Inner Wire: No
Weight: 1.2 lb (0.5 kg)
Product Box Length: 7.88 in (200 mm)
Product Box Width: 6.94 in (176 mm)
Product Box Height: 7 in (178 mm)

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=RU-2820

what do you guys think would the "E-0074" filter be too big for the Injen piping? cause i notice the crispmongos was about .125" larger than the CP-E piping.
iinokturnolii
Exotic Herb Sampler
Exotic Herb Sampler

Postby Midias » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:24 am

Injen = 2.75 cpe = 3..5 ebay = 3 Without the maf customizer from CPE you cannot use more than 2.75 that is why the ebay intake makes things worse.

I also doubt you would see any gains changing the injen filter (non of the above will fit you need 2.75 inlet). The filter that came with it is already designed well and should be more than adequate.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby crispone » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:16 pm

Well... not to dig an old thread up for NO REASON...

...but I thought I'd give an update on the crispmongo air filter!

I wore the original CP-e afe unit for a little under 10,000 miles, and had to oil it nearly EVERY 2,000 miles to stay "blue"! (It DRIED OUT so FAST!)

I also noted "more sucking sound", which was indicative of restriction, methinks...

The "crispmongo" has been on for over 15,000 miles now, with ONLY ONE minor oiling awhile back. NOT NEARLY the drying out of the afe, and a "lower" deeper pitched intake "grunt", that is more pleasing to my taste.

Car now has over 75,000 miles, and everything is running PERFECT at the moment!

BTW, just this past FRIDAY, I BOUGHT the car at the END OF LEASE timing! (ALWAYS my plan...)

I'll post another thread on that, thought! :wink:

-crisp :evilbat: :drinking:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Jakecallun20 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:05 pm

Anyone installed one of these on a Gen 1 yet?
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Pictures and Videos