[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Oil catch can installed less than $20
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Oil catch can installed less than $20

Postby Midias » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:57 am

SleeperSolara wrote:
Akfahad wrote:that CPE shield is perfect for it!!

I know. :D

Very true guys I am not sure where I would have mounted it otherwise.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby bassthrive » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:05 am

are all those adapters and clamps truly necessary?
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby Midias » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:26 pm

I can think of 2 ways to get rid of adapters. One is get some new tubing that is a tight fit for the valve cover and the intake then clamp it very well on the catch can. The other way is to epoxy the adapters to one side of the larger hose and then to the small hose and just use one clamp to go to the valve cover and intake. That would get rid of 2 clamps.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jakecallun20 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:32 pm

Well, so far my concerns are the mounting of my can, I don't have a CPE, So I can't mount it on the heat shield...So far I've found a good spot (I think) by the Brake booster, over in the far right corner, My questions are....How far from the valve cover and the intake box outlet is too far? Does it really matter how far it is?

-Jake
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:51 pm

Jakecallun20 wrote:Well, so far my concerns are the mounting of my can, I don't have a CPE, So I can't mount it on the heat shield...So far I've found a good spot (I think) by the Brake booster, over in the far right corner, My questions are....How far from the valve cover and the intake box outlet is too far? Does it really matter how far it is?

-Jake

Distance doesn't matter.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby TRDSleeper » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:55 pm

^ Good to know that distance doesn't matter because I plan to get an oil catch tank in the future and route both the hose from the front valve cover and the one from the pcv to it using a y-adaptor. will there be a problem with this?
TRDSleeper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Dawgz » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:33 am

TRDSleeper wrote:^ Good to know that distance doesn't matter because I plan to get an oil catch tank in the future and route both the hose from the front valve cover and the one from the pcv to it using a y-adaptor. will there be a problem with this?

im pretty sure the pcv feeds into the intake manifold and not the intake alone....
--=Black on Black=-- (Sold)
Dawgz
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby TRDSleeper » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:17 pm

^ I agree, How about if I use 2 y-adaptors? One adaptor will get the incoming vapors from both the pcv and front valve cover. The other adaptor will output the cleaner air to both the intake tube and intake manifold. This should make the setup just like stock.
TRDSleeper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Midias » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:22 pm

I am not sure about you method but I can tell you that 3/8 inch brass Ts from the help section of autozone or advance auto will work for your application and the hose that comes with this.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jakecallun20 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:22 pm

I got my kit today, and I have a question. Is the piece that goes into intake supposed to block off the air from the intake from the can? The piece featured in Midias' 5th pic.
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:52 pm

As you can see in the picture there is no block in one of the adapters so no. Blocking suction from the intake would defeat the entire purpose of the system.

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jakecallun20 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:25 pm

Alright.......One end of my connector is blocked off solid. I guess I'll either drill it out or just not use it. Heres a pic of each end.

Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:05 am

i just did not use the block offed one that came with my kit.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby D-money » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:17 pm

I know this is an old thread but the place where this catch can is installed is an intake port if air flows out of it you got a problem. the proper place to put that can is in the passenger side upper upper left corner where the pcv actually enters the intake.I have a catch tank there with glass beads to condence the moisture back into liquid and it lets the burnable gasses continue through.so like i said nothing is supposed to come out of that port.
ImageImage
01 SLE V6 (Pic Edit Done by Garrryyunit)
D-money
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:14 am

^ Not sure what you are trying to say your post is quite hard to read. But the place I put the can is the exit for crank case gases before they renter the manifold to be burned through the PCV system. The stock setup uses the manifold and intake system to draw gases through the opening in the valve cover and burns them off in the engine. On their way through they leave all sorts of nasty deposits on the throttlebody and in the manifold. What I have done was install a can to help the deposits fall out of the gas before they enter then manifold so they are no left on the walls of the manifold or the butterfly plate.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5