[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Oil catch can installed less than $20
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Oil catch can installed less than $20

Oil catch can installed less than $20

Postby Midias » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:50 pm

After the newest oil catch can thread I became curious about how much crap I might collect on a 160K mile engine. So I picked up this oil catch can on ebay for only $15.

EBAY LINK

First off here is the kit as delivered. Quality seems fine I am sure it was made in china but it should work just fine.

To make it work for the solara you only need is 4 extra hose clamps a length of 3/4 in hose a little smaller than the stock hose about 2 or 3 inches long and a 3/8 adapter. Use the 3/8 adapter on the blue hose and 3/4 hose to go to the valve cover

Then I mounted the tank to the CPE heat shield

Then I used this hose size adapter it came with for my CPE intake

Finally I just cut the hoses to length and it was all done

Last edited by Midias on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby lilm » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:09 pm

nice write up :drinking:
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ptballer » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:33 pm

lilm wrote:nice write up :drinking:

x2
Volk_RaysEngineering_SSR_Work_5Zigen_RacingHart__Kosei_Enkei_Toyo_Falken_BFG_Bridgetone_Yokohama
ptballer
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby funboy102 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:44 am

Ok, this might be a dumb question, but I don't know about this particular part of the engine. But which way does air flow in this schematic? Does air come from the intake, into the oil catch can, and then into the engine? Or does dirty air come out of the engine, into the oil catch can, then into the intake pipe?

I'm thinking the latter?
1999 Solara SE V6 5-Speed PICS! http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=43759
funboy102
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:18 am

crap goes from the engine to the oil catch can then clean air goes to the intake or at least that is the plan.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:27 pm

Nice man.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby funboy102 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:28 pm

so If i had a breather filter on there, the dirty air would just get collected by the filter before going into my engine bay area then?
1999 Solara SE V6 5-Speed PICS! http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=43759
funboy102
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:34 pm

^^ In general breather filters are a bad idea because the do not adequately vent the gasses in the cylinder head like a vacuum system does. There is a reason toyota and every other company uses the manifold vacuum to draw those gasses out.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jakecallun20 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:21 pm

Forgive me, But I'm a little slow on the uptake of this idea. Does the oil catch can not actually hold oil? or is it just another way of filtering out air from the valve train? I really have no idea what an oil catch can does or what it can help improve.

EDIT: I just did a quick bit of research and I somewhat realize what it does, Takes the oil vapors from the line running from the valve cover outlet to the intake system, thus taking it out of the air which would go into the intake cycle and cause possible detonation. Now I have a few questions, I understand that it actually catches oil from the engine, well does this oil need to be poured back into the engine or thrown out when you change the oil? Could this process possibly catch enough to starve the motor of oil? I use AMSoil and I don't change my oil every 3-5k like you conventional/blend guys. So I'm curious to find these answers as I'll do whatever I can to get as much life out of my car's engine as possible.
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Akfahad » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:06 am

that CPE shield is perfect for it!!
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:12 am

Jakecallun20 wrote:Forgive me, But I'm a little slow on the uptake of this idea. Does the oil catch can not actually hold oil? or is it just another way of filtering out air from the valve train? I really have no idea what an oil catch can does or what it can help improve.

EDIT: I just did a quick bit of research and I somewhat realize what it does, Takes the oil vapors from the line running from the valve cover outlet to the intake system, thus taking it out of the air which would go into the intake cycle and cause possible detonation. Now I have a few questions, I understand that it actually catches oil from the engine, well does this oil need to be poured back into the engine or thrown out when you change the oil? Could this process possibly catch enough to starve the motor of oil? I use AMSoil and I don't change my oil every 3-5k like you conventional/blend guys. So I'm curious to find these answers as I'll do whatever I can to get as much life out of my car's engine as possible.

I don't think enough oil comes out to starve the engine and I doubt it even needs to be emptied all that often. I think if that much oil was going into it you would already be having serious engine problems. The big reason I installed it was just curiosity to see what was coming out of my 160k mile engine. I figured for less than 20 dollars I could check the amount of oil coming out and filter the gases going into my intake manifold and keep that clean so why not.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jakecallun20 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:49 am

I think ima get the same kit, but does it have a drain plug? and does the oil that is caught inside need to be funelled back into the motor after a few weeks?...sorry for all the questions.

-Jake
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:45 am

Yes it has a drain on the bottom and I doubt you would ever have to dump it back in considering the oil that usually comes out is burned in the cylinders and sent out of the exhaust pipe. Also after a few weeks I doubt there would even be a teaspoon in the can.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Jakecallun20 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:05 pm

Alrighty then, Thx for answering my questions. I think I'm going to hook one of these guys up, seeing as I'm not far behind you in mileage at 147k.
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:38 pm

Akfahad wrote:that CPE shield is perfect for it!!

I know. :D
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5