[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Rear rotor surface not smooth on one side
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Rear rotor surface not smooth on one side

Rear rotor surface not smooth on one side

Postby HydroponiK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:58 pm

About 6 months ago, I got my rear brake pads and rotors replaced at the dealership. They started squeeling pretty loudly so I took it back to them about a month ago however they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Then I noticed that of the rotor's surface was still rusty after driving in a rainstorm. The rust eventually went away, however on the inner and outer edges, you can tell that the pads aren't applying b/c it's not smooth/shiny like the other rotors.

I went back to the dealer today but they said they couldn't find anything wrong, and the caliper is still working properly. They also said I needed to get my front pads replaced even though it's only been like 25k since my last job. Fortunately they couldn't do it today b/c they needed the "shim hardware" so I'm scheduled for later next week.

This is the 3rd time I've brought it back to them without any resolution, what could be wrong in this situation? Does this sound like BS or are they telling the truth?
HydroponiK
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Gibson99 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:13 pm

the pad doesn't touch the entire surface of the rotor. seeing a line of rust around the outside and inside edges of the friction surface is normal.

however, 25k on a set of fronts is a little short unless you do a lot of stop n go, a lot of hard braking, or drive it hard.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:27 pm

Are the brakes adjusted correctly? My dad's Accord had premature worn brake pads once because the dealer did a bad job of adjusting the brake system, the caliper was actually riding on the rotor. I have to ask my dad more on this but this is what he told me.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby HydroponiK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Gibson, sorry if i wasn't clear. I don't mean on the edge, but about an inch from the edge to the middle. The other rotors are smooth on the whole surface, this rear rotor isn't which leads me to believe something is wrong.

DriDed, I'm not sure, as far as what the dealer is telling me, everything is all good.
HydroponiK
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DriDed » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Is there another Toyota dealer close by? Sometimes different dealers have different styles of handling things. Maybe you can have another dealer check it out.

The wack job that one Honda dealer did on my dad's Accord was fixed by another dealer.

Don't trust them when they say everything is okay, its your money.
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby HydroponiK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:09 pm

I have a dealer by my work, maybe I'll get a 2nd opinion there...will they warranty another dealer's work though?
HydroponiK
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DriDed » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:29 pm

HydroponiK wrote:I have a dealer by my work, maybe I'll get a 2nd opinion there...will they warranty another dealer's work though?

Probably not, but I would ask anyway.

Hopefully someone here can help you out, since a checkup at a dealer can cost you an arm and leg. Don't they charge around $90 for checkups?
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby HydroponiK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:38 pm

This dealership said they looked at it, but how can I be sure when I still have the same issue.

I'm at the point where I think I need to contact corporate and get this straighten out. if I do, I probably can never use this dealership again tho so I got to weigh my options.
HydroponiK
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby System_Crash » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Take a picture! before you do any thing else TAKE A PICTURE! and picture of the other rotors / make sure you use a time/date stamp on the camera.
Go back to the origional dealer that put them on.
demand they remove the tire atleast to check the pad sizes(inner and outer). (you do not feel SAFE to drive the vehicle with this condition) and speak to a Service Manager (the manager will most likley do all of this free if you use the words SAFETY and LAWSUIT. Good luck with getting this taken care of.
Pearl White 2004 Solara V6 90,000 miles

System_Crash
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby HydroponiK » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:04 pm

For a point of reference, these are what the rotors look like. I'm probably going to call and try to get the service manager but does anyone know what may be causing this? This only happened after they took the brakes apart to see what was causing the sound.

Right rear (the messed up one):

Left rear:
HydroponiK
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby solara90 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:51 pm

looks like the caliper isnt moving like its suppose to. could be caused my rusted parts or non lubed caliper bolts. Can you see the back side of the rotor at all, does it look the same way?
02 solara 2az

solara90
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jetbtkng » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:59 pm

if the dealership thinks thats normal wear they have brain damage, take it to anothe place ................ :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby HydroponiK » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:10 pm

The back side of the rotor looks fine, it seems the outer just isn't moving.

I can't take it to another dealr, b/c the one I've been going to was the one who did the job in the first place. I'm trying to get this fixed under warranty.

Currently I have an appt next week to do the fronts, but I think I'm just going to call on monday and try to get the service manager and explain the situation. I'm probably going to pass on getting the fronts since it's only been about 20k since the last time I got them done.
HydroponiK
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jetbtkng » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:14 pm

all toyota dealerships honor warranty work,............... :drinking:
jetbtkng

Postby HydroponiK » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:27 pm

My car isn't under warranty, what I meant to say was since this dealer did the rear brakes, it will be under warranty from them.
HydroponiK
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5