[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Hydrogen kits (HHO cells) REALLY WORK!! Over 50mpg in CITY!
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Hydrogen kits (HHO cells) REALLY WORK!! Over 50mpg in CITY!

Hydrogen kits (HHO cells) REALLY WORK!! Over 50mpg in CITY!

Postby RDKamikaze » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:03 am

Hey everyone! I have been doing a huge push towards alternative fuels and stuff recently, like adding an e85 conversion kit (review on forum, do a search) and now this hydrogen kit.

My HHO generator is the water4gas one and I bought my first one (made more for the family) on ebay for $60. I also constructed my own adjustable MAP/MAF sensor fr about $5 and also have an o2 gapper on my o2 sensor for a cooler reading.

After the initial install of my HHO kit (VERY time-consuming at first, but now it's easy!), I took the car for a spin and started the MAF tuning process. I got everything running well and went driving again. My guage was reading over 54mpg in the city!! I thought to myself "WTF, is my guage broken?!" You bet it wasn't! After I turned the generator off to make sure I didn't kill something on accident, sure enough the car was going back down to reading about 30mpg in the city. So I started to watch my tank.

One one normal tank of gas (15gal), my Solara gets about 310 miles before empty. After installing the kit and tuning it, I got over 400 miles on that very same size tank! I thought to myself, "Man, this stuff really DOES work! I gotta make more," so I get cracking. I got some plans from one of my friends and now I'm making more kits. It's stuper eay and a WOnDERFUL project to embark on! I think by now it's already even paid for itself at least once! Go me!!

If you would like to follow up on my progress, question, support, and other information about my hydrogen kit, please visit this link"
http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php/topic,1573.0.html

This is an online forum for ethanol owners, but we talk mainly about my kit in this thread. My results are spread out near the end of the thread (pg.4-5?). There are also pictures that I'm attaching now. Enjoy!!

And a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_os5b2GshpM
RDKamikaze
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby no_escape » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:23 am

I'm gonna watch this thread and your progress. I want to see the long term difference. 3 month mark, 6 month mark, 9 and 12 month mark. Not that I don't believe you. I just want to see the long term results.
SC 4psi - 305cc - Jims Fuel Upgrade - AFC NEO - 190 Walbro - Tokico/Eibach - Short Throw Shifter - FTB - RSB - K&N Filter - Greddy Evo II catback
no_escape
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby woa_its_j3ff » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:12 am

I would hate to be you if that jar blew up ...
where many hate, few will love,
But for those who love,
they'll see what it's like to live.

SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby philosophicaljt » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:22 am

I am fully interested in this. Please keep updating. How about power increase/decrease?
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PXLpainter » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:55 pm

Okay - I've been reading up n this for the past couple months - just wondered how it worked with our ECUs and stuff... did you build it fromt eh plans yourself or did you buy a pre-made kit?

What measurable results have you found so far?

And Jeff - that's a jar of WATER bro - it ain't gonna blow up - LOL! :D
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby RDKamikaze » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:06 am

Well technically, if you're an uber retard and you don't install the kit correectly so that it shuts off or turns on only when the engine is running, you could get a huge buildup of HHO gas and the pressure could cause it to explode. Again, this is pretty much the worst case scenario with the whole "explosion" factor. It's not going to ignite and become some crazy hydrogen bomb though, if that's what you're looking for :p .

As for a power difference, I'm actually noticing a little increase! HHO gas is 3 times more potent than regular gasoline and has an octane rating of 150. That's a HUGE difference! This means that just a little of this gas produced could make the usage of gasoline a lot less for the same, if not more, power. That is why people are always advertising (or claiming like I am) around a 20-60% mpg increase as well as an HP increase.

I have only been able to go through two tank-fulls so far and here are my results:
Regular gas: 306 miles to a tank
E85 gas: 314 miles to a tank
E85 gas + HHO: 341 miles to a tank
Reular gas + HHO: 426 miles to a tank

*Please note that my driving conditions HAVE NOT changed! I drive the same way almost all the time. I was sure to be treating my HHO experimentation as I would normal gas or E85 for best comparable results.*

I guess the reason why my HHO kit is not liking being mixed with ethanol is because e85 has an octane rating of 105 so I have to re-tune everything I guess. This gives you more power and better burning, as well as cleaning out your engine while it burns. More on ethanol can be forund on my thread about e85 conversion kits.
RDKamikaze
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gnegroni » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:17 am

RDKamikaze wrote:Regular gas: 306 miles to a tank
E85 gas: 314 miles to a tank
E85 gas + HHO: 341 miles to a tank
Regular gas + HHO: 426 miles to a tank

I thought that ethanol had a lower energy content than regular gas, which doesn't show on the first two comparisons, but it shows up on the last two comparisons where regular gas + HHO goes farther than E85 + HHO combination. Still, your video seems nice, but its cut off.

I tried to read the other posts, but got lost. In brief, why did you splice the MAF sensor temperature wire? Is the relay just for turning on and off the system with the engine? If so, what is the switch for?

BTW, congrats on a system as simple as yours. Web videos show very complicated systems with a lot of bar plates and different spacing theories.
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Down2TheC » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:12 pm

woa_its_j3ff wrote:I would hate to be you if that jar blew up ...

Oh crap!!! I have a glass of water next to me! It could blow at any second!????

That's pretty slick man. But that forum is wack! Reverse numbering on the pages so a post on pg 4 yesterday might be on pg 5 tomorrow. That would totally give me a headache.

Let us know how often you have to fill the jar. Oh... and what happens if you run dry? Do you end up with 20A arcing and sparking? Or is there a safety built into the circuit. (Beyond blowing your fuse... or your jar if the last bits of HHO are present.)
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby gnegroni » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 pm

I think the arcing would occur if you had a very high voltage running...don't think 12v will do that; might behave like an open circuit, but don't hold me up to my word.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Down2TheC » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:01 pm

Depends on the proximity of the plates/poles in the jar I guess.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby gnegroni » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:35 pm

According to this AC calculator High Volrage Arc Gap Calculator minimum safe distance for 4000 AC volts is 3.02mm. I know our applications are DC but that reminds me... When do you have a visible arc when reconnecting a battery terminal? Its a perfect example...You have to get it pretty close, right? I think its safe to say for our purposes we won't have arcing. :)
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kingkakyle » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:44 pm

just wondering but how is that getting over 50mpg city?

ive been able to get over 34 mpg with no mods at all
but that was strictly highway driving....so unless u get up to the 700s i dont think ur getting 50mpg
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RDKamikaze » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:20 pm

Lots of questions wee!!

First off, the whole E85 gets better gas milage than gas thing but less than HHO attached thing is because I haven't tuned it specifically to run with E85 and HHO at the same time yet.

How often I have to refill the jar is about every couple weeks. I fill it when it gets to be a little under half way and try to keep it around 3/4 when possible.

The whole 50mpg in city thing is true, I'll even take some vid of it if you would like. The reason why it's not like 800 miles or w/e to the tank is because streets have lights, which means stop and go traffic. Don't forget I also travel on the freeway every once in a while, and mpg ratings go down to about 40mpg because I have it tuned for city driving more than highway right now.
RDKamikaze
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gnegroni » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:58 am

How goes this tunning go?
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RDKamikaze » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:27 am

Hahaha, I just got home from California a minute ago! Sorry for the two-day delay, my friends and I decided to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain because we could just for a spur-of-the-moment trip. We didn't take my Solara though because it wouldn't fit five safely, so wee took one of the Sequoias instead.
RDKamikaze
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5