[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Fuel Pressure Regulator Mod - FREE
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Fuel Pressure Regulator Mod - FREE

Fuel Pressure Regulator Mod - FREE

Postby JoeB » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:58 am

As you start moving to positive pressure (boost), you need to increase the fuel pressure to compensate. You may have heard of pressure increasing FMUs? Toyota came up with a fuel pressure that was best suited for the stock engine and fuel delivery. When you supercharge or turbo the engine, as the pressure goes above 0psi, you should raise the fuel pressure proportionally so that is best. However, there is another way that is free if you are mechanically inclined at all and it helps to have access to a air compressor.

After supercharging my engine and raising the boost to 7psi, I checked my fuel trims in closed loop and was shocked at the difference between bank1 and bank2. At this point, I decided to overnight Jim@ForeignAffairs' fuel kit and figured that alone probably wouldn't be enough. I was also convinced I would need more fuel pressure. So I took this apart thanks to Jim's instructions and watching Gadget replace my pump with the Walbro 190lph. I still wasn't sure, I'd know the regulator when I saw it or where I'd need to push in on it. So for those of you who are more visual like me, here is a pic of the assembly I am talking about. http://users.adelphia.net/~jbailer/Regulator_mod.jpg

To start with, you need to access the fuel sending unit assembly. It is under the rear seat. Grab the front of the seat and pull up and the seat will lift out. On the driver's side, you'll see the acccess door to the sending unit. It is stuck down with some black sticky stuff (the technical term :D ). Just pull up and it'll come off. Next there is an electrical connection. Unplug it, it's a little tricky but you'll figure it out. Next unclip and unplug the fuel line. Have a rag handy, fuel WILL come out. Not a lot but you don't want gas running all over in there. Then there are about a dozen screws holding the sending unit in. Although they have phillips heads on them, do yourself a favor and do NOT use a screwdriver, use a nut driver or socket for this job. Also be VERY careful not to drop them or you probably won't get them back. Have a bucket handy when you lift the sending unit out of there, you'll be dripping gas everywhere. Put the sending unit straight into the bucket, THEN take it out of the car to a suitable work area.

In the pic, the blue arrow points to the regulator and more specifically to the area you need to push on. You have to take the regulator off the assy, 2 screws. I took the head (part you would put the socket on) of the 1/4 inch socket wrench and put it in there. I put the other side of the socket wrench up against 1 side of a bench vise and put the other side of the regulator up against the other side of the vise and tightened. It's difficult to say exactly how far to press it in, my guess would be about 1/8". You can't push it too much or it looks like you'd mess it up. Hope the pic help. There is a spring right behind that hole. What you are doing is increasing the tension which changes the pressure the regulator opens up and allows fuel to flow. This is where the compressor comes in handy. What you want to do is push it in a little bit at a time until it gets to 59psi. If you push it to far, you can't pull it back out (at least not easily) so go carefully. Use an air nozzle and blow the air in the direction the fuel would go. When it just allows air to pass through right at 59psi, you know you have it pressed in right. I didn't have my compressor hooked up yet when I first did this mod so I just pushed it a little and guessed. Later I pulled it apart to check it and readjust if necessary but found it was exactly 59psi (got lucky).

While waiting for my fuel mod kit, I did another OBD2 scan and this made a HUGE difference. The 2 banks are much closer now. The extra pressure must have helped even things up. When I finished the job with Jim's fuel line kit, the difference was within 1%. -JoeB[/url]
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby StockSolara » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:33 pm

nice DIY thanks man. . . :D
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6
2000 Lexus GS400
StockSolara
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Fletch » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:31 am

2nd...

Thanks in advance
2006 Legacy GT spec.B

(Totaled) '99 SE V6, TRD S/C, 5.5 psi Pulley, Jim's Fuel Upgrade, TRD Shortshifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Lightweight Flywheel, Tokico / Eibach, TRD RSB, 2.5" Custom Y-Pipe, Greddy Cat-Back
Fletch
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Astro » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:29 am

--1LOKEDOUTSLE-- wrote:JoeB, I brought this back....... Im going to do this, but could not see the pics on that link... Do you still have the pics if so please post them or PM me.... Thank you Milt

There's a little more info on CamryMan. Let me know when you do this Mlt, I'd like to do this too.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Jackass-Jeff » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:49 am

I wanna watch you two do this and laugh if you're running extremely lean =D
1GR-FE ftw!
Jackass-Jeff
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby JoeB » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:03 am

Hmmm, I posted a reply to this a while ago but somehow it didn't make it. Someone just brought this thread to my attention and I wanted to follow up on it.

I would NOT recommend you do this mod. Within about 6 months after doing this mod, I started having trouble with my fuel pressure regulator. It was difficult to trouble shoot because unlike most pressure regulator problems where they just stop holding pressure all together, mine started varying. I didn't notice until I got a fuel pressure gauge. One time the car would be at 59 psi exactly, the next it would be at 38psi under the same condition.

As you could imagine, that makes it very difficult for the car to run right because now there is a substantial change in fuel volume in the chamber. I told my mechanic about it and he said that was common to have early regulator failure after doing that mod. I'm sure there will be varying results and some people will say it works fine while others don't even realize problems they are having is due to an inconsistant or changed fuel pressure. I'm just sharing my experience and recommendation.

If you think about it, raising the fuel pressure is just a bandaide to getting more fuel out of the injectors (more pressure behind the same size opening =more fuel). With the right sized injecors, this mod doesn't help. In reality, you want the stock pressure on the low end or even a little less since we are using larger injectors. Then using a pressure rising FMU, have more pressure on the top end to match the opposite pressure from boost (air opposing it). The only problem with that is a rising rate FMU requires a return fuel line and we don't have that. I've decided to stick with the stock regulator and just use larger injectors and it is working great for me. Sorry this didn't show up when I first posted it. -JoeB
Please stop by and rate my ride.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jbailer
JoeB
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5