[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 1999 Solara 5 speed V6 oil leaks
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

1999 Solara 5 speed V6 oil leaks

1999 Solara 5 speed V6 oil leaks

Postby PTSOLARA » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:21 pm

I have addressed a number of oil leak issues in my car recently. Last week, I had my mechanic replaced/resealed my Upper valve cover gaskets (front and back since it is a V6). I will also have him replace the oil pan gasket since it too is slowly seeping oil out.

However, my mechanic did mention that there is a seal/gasket between the engine and the manual transmission that also leaks. But it would be too much work since he would have to dismantle the transmission in order to get to it. Since it is only leaking a bit he is ok for me to delay the work on this. Does anyone here have the same problem?

I have to refill about 1/2 quart of oil per month. Not too excessive at the moment.
1999 Solara SE V6 Red 5 speed Sports Ed.
Tokico/Eibach Whiteline FSB/RSB Ingen
PTSOLARA
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: 1999 Solara 5 speed V6 oil leaks

Postby dinoxor » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:34 pm

The stealership told me that my front valve gasket cover were leaking as well but it would cost at least $500 to get it resealed D:
but it's not too severe, I've been driving for 6000 miles since my last oil change and I would check the dipstick periodically and it is now halfway.
But I usually get an oil change before it gets too low.
other than that, that's the only oil leak I know of.

My 2000 v6 solara's mileage is around 140k
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ftw » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:25 pm

PTSOLARA wrote:I have addressed a number of oil leak issues in my car recently. Last week, I had my mechanic replaced/resealed my Upper valve cover gaskets (front and back since it is a V6). I will also have him replace the oil pan gasket since it too is slowly seeping oil out.

However, my mechanic did mention that there is a seal/gasket between the engine and the manual transmission that also leaks. But it would be too much work since he would have to dismantle the transmission in order to get to it. Since it is only leaking a bit he is ok for me to delay the work on this. Does anyone here have the same problem?

I have to refill about 1/2 quart of oil per month. Not too excessive at the moment.

That's your rear main seal. Eventually all of that oil will contaminate your clutch disc and you will start to have slipping. It depends on the car or manufacturer, I have seen some people have a leaking main seal and the clutch works fine for a long time and others would have bad slipping and have to change clutch and seal.

Maybe someone else here can chime in since when I changed my rear seal at 166K and it wasn't leaking so I don't know how our Solaras behave with leaking rear main seals.
New Daily: 2005 Corolla XRS
SOLD: DWP 1999 SE V6| Eibach/Tokico| Super Pro Dogbone Bushings, FSB Bushings| Energy Suspension Front Control Arm Bushings| Injen Intake
ftw
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PTSOLARA » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:41 pm

How much did it cost you to replace the rear seal when you had it replaced at 166K? I had to drop $200 for the top valve cover gaskets (thought it was not too bad consider the amount of work involved). Now i wonder if it is going to involve a lot of work with the main seal.

I am trying to keep my car till it gets to 300K miles. I currently have 245K and it is still going pretty strong.
1999 Solara SE V6 Red 5 speed Sports Ed.
Tokico/Eibach Whiteline FSB/RSB Ingen
PTSOLARA
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dinoxor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:53 am

I had a thread about this a while back when I was a baby hopefully this helps and you can pm some members for more info if needed.
or if they're still active.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51509&hilit=

but man 245k?!?!
miles or km?!
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5