[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Are these signs of my Power Steering Pump Going out?
Stock talk about Solara

Are these signs of my Power Steering Pump Going out?

Are these signs of my Power Steering Pump Going out?

Postby Solorange » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:59 pm

This morning when I started my car up to go to work it started pretty rough. The engine turned over just fine but immediatly as it ramps up the rpm to idle it took it a second to catch itself. The engine vibrated and shook the whole car and you could hear each cylinder move. Basically there was a lot of friction action going on (not the fun friction either :lol:). Almost like if it didnt have any oil in it. The Car drove normal the whole 40miles to work.

Then leaving work the car started up just fine. But when I was pulling out of the parking lot I had no power steering. It took a good 30seconds for the power steering to kick in. It drove the 40miles home just fine.

The loss of power steering made me think that the hard startup in the morning was just the power steering pump putting a lot of strain on my engine.

In the driveway I was playing with the steering system and when I turn the wheel all the way to the right or left the power steering pumps squeals really loud when you hit the stops.

I checked my power steering fluid level and it is actually slightly above the maximum mark. The hoses to the pump have no signs of leaks. The belt is good and tight. The power steering pressure switch seems to be working ok too because the engine rpms increase as you turn the wheel.

Just curious is this a sign that my power steering pump is going out? If so will it just progressivly get worse? Or will it just go out all together? My car has 170k on it.

Thanks
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: Are these signs of my Power Steering Pump Going out?

Postby Solorange » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:08 pm

Guess nobody knows cause toyotas are so reliable uhn?
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Black Bob » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:08 am

Pretty much sounds like the power steering pump and would be the first thing to check. (Not sure exactly how to check it while still attached.) The PS belt being tight and visually looking okay is one thing but the key to belts is not just outward surface cracking but the condition of the "ribbing" underneath. Did you replace the power steering belt when you had the timing belt changed?
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby Solorange » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:18 pm

yes i did change the belts when the timing belt was changed. Its been running ok for now. Maybe it was just a little hickup. Well see though.
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Black Bob » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:58 am

Hey, just thought of something, I woke up to our first frost that morning. Not sure how low the mercury dipped on you "mid-southerners", maybe your baby was just cold and just needed to get used to the upcoming deep-freeze. :D
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby Solorange » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:44 pm

It could be because its been working fine since that little fit. It was cold out that day too.
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Toyota Solara OEM