[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Shooter's On The Water (Cleveland, OH)
Ever have a bad experience? Well here's the place to discuss things.

Shooter's On The Water (Cleveland, OH)

Shooter's On The Water (Cleveland, OH)

Postby Black Bob » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:50 am

This rant has been coming for a long time. For those not familiar with Cleveland we have a Flats Entertainment District (actually it's a shell of it's former self) which is lined with clubs and restaurants. The district lines the mouth of the Cuyahoga river which infamously caught fire over 10 times from being so polluted (haha--silly tourists only rag on us for one fire in 1969). One particular patio-slash-club-slash-restaurant is called Shooter's On The Water--prices are average for the environment. One rant I've been concealing is that some of the bartenders are hired only because they look good in a short-skirted uniform. Needless to say I have no problem with that but I do have a problem when you ask for a "Seven & Seven" and they ask you what's in it. Or when you ask for a shot of Jack and have to argue with them that a Marachino Cherry doesn't go in it.

But I digress, the real reason for my gripe is their "18% gratuity on parties of six or more" rule. Hear me out before you stop reading and rush to judgement--I have no problem with an 18% tip automatically added to a big party eating and drinking it up, no problem whatsoever. I do have a problem when they charge 18% tip only to one person (me) who's eating or utilizing the server.

Here's my case: My sister's birthday was yesterday on Shooter's patio deck and her guests are all milling around a table. A server comes around and usually asks if you want to order food. Drinks can be ordered from the server or you can go to the bar on your own. Also, you can just sit at the table and not order anything at all and just listen to the band. I order a basket of fries and a Sprite (yeah, I know, but I'm hungover, I do drink later tho). I'm the only one ordering from the server and everyone else is boozing it up and running to the bar for their own drinks--i.e. no one else is using the server. The server hands me a bill for $4.50 and tells me he already added the 18% tip because we are a party of 6+. I argue that he only served one person (me) and even the check states "ONE GUEST" (me). I'm told by the server that is the way it is. So my obvious problem is that he served only one person and is charging an automatic gratuity as if he served 6+ people. The other is NO WAY IN HELL this is the first time this situation popped up, the server had to have this situation occur before and should have clarified the policy to prevent misunderstandings.

On a final note, for those keeping up with the math my check came to $4.50 with the 18% gratuity added which equals to 81¢ as a tip. C'mon, I can drop $400 at a dancing pig stripclub on any given night, no way in hell was I gonna tip 81¢--so I gave him $7 on a $4.50 tab. Thus making the practice of serving a single guests a small meager meal and then automatically adding the an 18% tip just plain stupid. I used to bartend as some very Draconian (i.e. strict) clubs and this is stupid beyond even them.

And, oh yeah, the food sucks!!
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:54 am

that's pretty weaksauce. 18% gratuity because one person in a larger party ordered food. I'm sure this case has upset many a customer not as patient as you, bob.

Reasonable rant.
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Black Bob » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:30 pm

I felt the need to rant but really I can't be pissed off about it to the point of impatience because if some person/establishment feels the need to "nickel & dime" me (literally in this case, 81¢) they are hurting themselves more than me. In fact, one could say Shooter's fails at "nickel & diming". Nowwwww, discussing getting "nickel & dimed" by banks is a thread that could go longer than Donnie's "Song Game Part 1".....hell, it might crash the server and might bring thoughts of suicide.
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby Chinky420 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:16 pm

i agree with david that this is a reasonable rant.

i will happily tip 20% as my standard (single person, multiple people, drinks, food, both...etc). 20% is where i set the bar, and from there it usually can only drop (unless it's exceptional service, which warrents 25% or more).

but when it comes down to a server trying to be unreasonable, or stubborn, well, that shouldn't be part of their job description.

i woulda let the server end it with the 18% on 4.50, done the math on the receipt, went to the bar, asked for change for a dollar, TIP THE BARTENDER a couple bucks (in a very obvious and offensive way for the server, and tipping them for nothing but the changing of a dollar)...and then personally hand the server the 81 cents while very loudly saying either "you obviously need this more than i do" or "you would have gotten at least _____ if you didn't insist on charging gratuity on a single person"

....but i'm kinda an arsehole like that....
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby QuickSEV6 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:09 pm

I once working in the food service industry.

I know how waitstaff relies on tips, so I am generally a big tipper.

Shame on the company for automatically adding such a high tip regardless of service.

To
Insure
Proper
Service

There is a Papa Johns here which automatically adds $2 for every order as a delivery charge.

I guess thats society today. Nickel and dime everyone to death.

By the way, Bob. I was in that district a couple of years ago. There are a couple of gentlemens clubs there that I visited. I really enjoyed my time there. ha ha
QuickSEV6
Solara Driver Extraordinaire
Solara Driver Extraordinaire

Postby Black Bob » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:41 am

QuickSEV6 wrote:By the way, Bob. I was in that district a couple of years ago. There are a couple of gentlemens clubs there that I visited. I really enjoyed my time there. ha ha

Hmm, if I was a bettin' man I'd say you went to Christie's Cabaret and Diamond Men's Club. Visited both this past weekend, no rants coming from me on that topic :D

...gotcha--you thought it was gonna be a FAIL, naw we got pros here dawg.
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Horrible Dealer/Service Rants