[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Custom TRD stainless exhaust with vids
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Custom TRD stainless exhaust with vids

Custom TRD stainless exhaust with vids

Postby Midias » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:32 pm

Well I finally got around to making my full stainless exhaust using my trd muffler. I ended up using 2.5 inch mandrel bent piping and 2 perforated resonators. Everything is stainless including the flanges and I used 309L for the filler rod. Basically I learned 2 things one stainless is hard to weld and two I currently suck with a TIG welder. My friend Ken helped me put it all together it took about 8 hrs to cut fit and weld everything with a lunch break. Also I had to fix the Y pipe I got from Dat because it cracked. I think this is because the end near the flex pipe was too close to the frame and was hitting from time to time. So I fixed the crack and cut the pipe and re welded it with a download slope. Tomorrow I will hopefully get some sound clips and better pics.

All together it was about 250 dollars and i can say after all the hard work that went into it I am glad no one opted to order one for 300 + shipping.

Here is the original thread with everything I bought to make it.

http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php? ... hlight=trd

I ended up only using one of my 5 foot sections of pipe. Basically in the end I needed

2 45 degree bends to make the 1 S bend 409 stainless
2 Resonators perforated 18 inch body 22 inch overall 304 stainless
1 Stainless highflow cat OBD2 compliant 11 inch tip to tip 409 stainless
5 feet of straight 409 stainless
1 90 degree bend for right before the trd muffler 409 stainless
4 flanges 2 for the catback and 2 for the highflow cat all 1/2 inch 304 stainless steel.
1 hanger rod 3/8 409 stainless
1 O2 sensor bung 304 stainless
3 FEL-PRO 60496-1 gaskets

To start this is the old exhaust lots of rust because of NY winters and salt. You can also see it has been repaired about 4 times after it fell apart many times. I also used lots of clamps because I could not weld to the massively rusty pipe.

TRD muffler with new flange the old one was way too rusted so I added a 3/8 mild steel flange (1 winter old)

Here is the dat Y pipe not too bad looking after a couple winters

here is the crack outlined in green

Fixed by me and my first time with a TIG

Here is Ken working on my new highflow cat.

Now on to the exhaust

Here it is all put together on the lift

And on the ground it sits nice and high and that makes me happy

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Last edited by Midias on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:04 am, edited 10 times in total.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby akora12 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 pm

That crap is hot...now on with the sound clips!

I'll back you up on the difficulty of tig. I always have a grinder handy when I attempt it.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Nice man. 8)
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby DatSRBoi » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:02 pm

OMG... a crack.. how? That does not look like a stress crack nor a weld failure crack.. how?
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby PhreakdOut » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:21 pm

DatSRBoi wrote:OMG... a crack.. how? That does not look like a stress crack nor a weld failure crack.. how?

Most likely thermal fatigue. One pipe expands in one direction and the down pipe from the rear manifold expands in another direction. Repeated heat and cooling stresses the edge of the weld heat zone. Add in the occasional thermal shock of rain water from driving through puddles and the stress is accelerated.

Using mismatched weld wire can also cause this. (Mismatched to the pipe material = differential expansion)
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby atclate » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:13 pm

I've always wanted to see it. The piping looks good, fits like stock.
For sale: Injen SRI, Randy's CAI extension, TRD Supercharger, TRD RSB, Jim's Torque Rod, 2003 Solara SLE with TRD Body Kit
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Midias » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:48 am

PhreakdOut wrote:
DatSRBoi wrote:OMG... a crack.. how? That does not look like a stress crack nor a weld failure crack.. how?

Most likely thermal fatigue. One pipe expands in one direction and the down pipe from the rear manifold expands in another direction. Repeated heat and cooling stresses the edge of the weld heat zone. Add in the occasional thermal shock of rain water from driving through puddles and the stress is accelerated.

Using mismatched weld wire can also cause this. (Mismatched to the pipe material = differential expansion)

Very true but I still think part of it may have been a occasional hitting of the frame from engine movement. The crack it self was across both pipes and through the weld. But I have fixed that and the repair welds should be plenty strong. Also the original repair welds (to move the flex) did not crack and are still in good shape. As for the filler I used I used 309L rod which was widely recommended by message boards and different shops around here including the welding supply store my friends gets his stuff from and the shop I use to work in. Hell the owner even gave us a dozen rods free both 3/32 and 1/8 just because it was being used on a car and he is a major car guy.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Pogs » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:57 am

To start midias, amazing job. I do have a question though, is there anything you would have changed now that your complete...not so much of something, to much, bigger piping, ect. I'm sure you still need to let it break in some but I was just wondering. Thanks
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Solarizona » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Looks awesome. How about some audio/video clips...
TRD Bodykit, Eibach, Tokico, BBS, OBX headers/y-pipe, Custom 2.5" Magnaflow/Dynomax, PowerStop, Goodridge, AFE.
Solarizona
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Jakecallun20 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Awesome job Midias, I'm sure your 1MZ is going to be much happier with that setup. 8) Can't wait to hear it
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:17 am

Jakecallun20 wrote:Awesome job Midias, I'm sure your 1MZ is going to be much happier with that setup. 8) Can't wait to hear it

Yes the new exhaust flows much better than the old but no surprises there.

Pogs wrote:To start midias, amazing job. I do have a question though, is there anything you would have changed now that your complete...not so much of something, to much, bigger piping, ect. I'm sure you still need to let it break in some but I was just wondering. Thanks

If I had to change anything I would change the flanges and make them 3/8 not 1/2 because it was a little harder to find stainless hardware that went all the way through the 2 1/2 inch flanges Also I would go with a 1/2 inch hanger instead of 3/8 because it would fit the rubber a little better.

Other than that i would leave the pipe the same size. I have already tried 3 inch and was not as big of a fan I just don't spend enough time in the high end to justify it. As for the resonators I would probably make them a little shorter because at 22 inches each it was a bit of a tight fit to get them both in. Other than that I love it and it will probably stay on the car until the solara dies.

Yes I will get sound clips soon I am sorry for the wait but I have been busy working out things with the new wife like house shopping and name changes ect...
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:52 pm

Here is the video I will try to get one of the car moving.

I think I had the camera a bit too close so I will make a new one later.
Last edited by Midias on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Well sense the first vid sucked here is a second I will get some help and get a WOT vid tomorrow. Let me know what you think

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby PhreakdOut » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:23 pm

The garage is beautiful. The exhaust may not be pretty ... but who looks under the car ... right? :wink: (Besides an exhaust geek like me)
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Midias » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:31 pm

Here are my most current vids 8/19/2008 my wife took them bless her heart and understanding. So let me know what you think now that it is under load.

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5