[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - CEL P0171, sensor questions.
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

CEL P0171, sensor questions.

CEL P0171, sensor questions.

Postby sethster » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Hello. I have a 2003 Toyota Solara, equipped with the 2.4 liter 2az-fe engine, and it is in California so I imagine it is a CA model. I have been getting a CEL for over a year now. It is code P0171 too lean (Bank 1, Sensor 1). I have noticed that the car does have some spark knock at low speeds and uphill every once in awhile too.

I am trying to figure which sensor is (bank 1, sensor 1), and whether it is an air/fuel ratio sensor, or an oxygen sensor. I have called Autozone, the local Toyota dealer, small Autoparts stores, and they all give me different answers. Here are some pics:

Which sensor is this?

And which sensor is this?

And, is there another sensor after the catalytic converter? If so, which is it?

So far I have replaced the spark plugs, tested for vacuum leaks, cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the Fuel Injectors, Cleaned the Throttle Body, and still the CEL comes back on after about 250 miles of driving after resetting it.

Does anyone have an answer to my questions or some guidance here?
sethster
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Akfahad » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:46 am

use the search function, I'm pretty sure this has been talked about...but if I'm not mistaken, your first picture is an A/F sensor, the second pic is an O2 sensor.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby sethster » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:49 am

Thanks but I have searched extensively on here and I could not find what I was looking for. Every thread I bring up is for a different generation or engine. Im just looking for some set in stone information because like I said everytime I call the dealer or Autozone I get a different answer.

The guy at Toyota actually told me that HE WAS 100% positive that my car did not have a sensor after the catalytic converter. Now, everyone I seem to talk to says that thats impossible in California. Autozone said I have one there too. Thats why im asking here.

But, if nobody knows here either then I guess I am just SOL and will have to look elsewhere. The mystery continues
sethster
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sethster » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:12 pm

Well I failed to realize that this car has two catalytic converters. The one in the first pic is Sensor #2, and the one in the last pic is sensor #1.

I replaced the b1s1 today, I will update if the code comes back again.
sethster
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sethster » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Just an update. I have driven approximately 1000 miles so far and no CEL anymore. I replaced the B1S1 with a Bosch brand one (not OEM). This must have fixed my problem.

The only other thing I did at the same time was clean and re-oil my K&N Drop in Air Filter, and then I cleaned the MAF after driving 100 miles or so in case any of the oil got on the sensor.
sethster
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby steffknee » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:34 am

You probably have a bad MAF sensor.

P0171 isn't necessarily an O2 sensor. And I would have to say usually when your O2 sensor is bad, it's just bad and the light won't go on and off over such a long period of time.

Try cleaning out the MAF sensor and See what happens.

Oh, and I believe the first (second picture, top sensor in the cat) is an O2 sensor and the second (first picture, sensor after the cat) is an A/F sensor.
1997 Toyota Celica ST--my baby/money pit
1999 Toyota Solara SE--now my sister's car
1994 Toyota Celica GT--Beams Swap
steffknee
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5