[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Wood trim
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Wood trim

Wood trim

Postby QuickSEV6 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:37 am

Dont tell me to search, because I already did and all I found was a thread from 2001.
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php? ... =wood+trim

I need to restore my interior wood trim. The sun had faded mine a couple of years ago and I just pulled it out. Now, I want to replace it.
Not sure if I want to go OEM or be a little stylish and upgrade somehow.

Does anybody have experience replacing the wood trim?
I'd like to get real wood if possible. That way I wont have to worry about fading.
I'd be grateful for any input.
QuickSEV6
Solara Driver Extraordinaire

Postby Solorange » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:34 pm

If your just talking about the trim that goes around the dash to the doors (some people have it outling everything on their dash) I say have a body shop paint it the color of your car. I personally hate wood trim and Im planning on doing that next time I need something painted on my car. (cough: TRD kit)
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: Wood trim

Postby PXLpainter » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:42 pm

QuickSEV6 wrote:Dont tell me to search, because I already did and all I found was a thread from 2001.
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php? ... =wood+trim

I need to restore my interior wood trim. The sun had faded mine a couple of years ago and I just pulled it out. Now, I want to replace it.
Not sure if I want to go OEM or be a little stylish and upgrade somehow.

Does anybody have experience replacing the wood trim?
I'd like to get real wood if possible. That way I wont have to worry about fading.
I'd be grateful for any input.

Keep watching your avatar and you'll get some REAL WOOD!! :up:
LOL! :lol: :rofl: :drinking:

Sorry - no serious response here... all I've seen are what you find with Google searches and not much info on how its made at that. :-?
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby QuickSEV6 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:49 pm

Solorange wrote:If your just talking about the trim that goes around the dash to the doors (some people have it outling everything on their dash) I say have a body shop paint it the color of your car. I personally hate wood trim and Im planning on doing that next time I need something painted on my car. (cough: TRD kit)

I never even thought of that. Thanks.
No, I wouldn't have wood everywhere. Just the highlights. Strip across dash, around stick shift, window controls on doors and around center cluster. Thats about it.
Actually, I've been thinking about getting the TWM gold weighted knob. If I get blue highlights on my dash, that just might look pretty good. It sure would match my exterior. Thanks for the idea.

PXLpainter wrote:Keep watching your avatar and you'll get some REAL WOOD!! :up:

Thats why she is my avatar. I think she is incredibly attractive.
I think she is hotter than many playmates of the year. Just my opinion.
QuickSEV6

Postby DrLove » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:26 am

I love wood on SOlara, it makes the center console and headunit looks 10X better, also the door looks nice. I dislike a bit the tweeter and handle wood. I ordered yesterday wood dash kit for $50 (40 pieces). Im waiting it.
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby trd628 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:36 am

if your interested in a carbon fiber and wanted to paint it I've got a kit for sale on ebay. It is at http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=38390 or http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 49840&rd=1.
trd628
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Solorange » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:44 pm

QuickSEV6 wrote:
Solorange wrote:If your just talking about the trim that goes around the dash to the doors (some people have it outling everything on their dash) I say have a body shop paint it the color of your car. I personally hate wood trim and Im planning on doing that next time I need something painted on my car. (cough: TRD kit)

I never even thought of that. Thanks.
No, I wouldn't have wood everywhere. Just the highlights. Strip across dash, around stick shift, window controls on doors and around center cluster. Thats about it.
Actually, I've been thinking about getting the TWM gold weighted knob. If I get blue highlights on my dash, that just might look pretty good. It sure would match my exterior. Thanks for the idea.

Your Welcome! :D Remember Wood = Bad - lol on many different levels (I could just see that statement going somewhere So I beat you all to it)
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby QuickSEV6 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:53 pm

Solorange wrote:Your Welcome! :D Remember Wood = Bad - lol on many different levels (I could just see that statement going somewhere So I beat you all to it)

Actually, I always liked the wood. Only as a highlight. I think too much wood is bad (get your mind out of the gutter).
The factory wood looked great. I liked the look, but your idea of changing it to match the exterior might be pretty cool. I'll go to a body shop soon and see what something like that wood cost. (thats not a typo. I did that on purpose)
QuickSEV6

Postby DrLove » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:52 am

8) Wood and chrome is the only way
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Wood Trim

Postby Donnie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:24 am

I looked at some trim kits for my 2000 then decided to print my own. I have a graphics shop where we do custom print & cut graphics and full body wraps. I printed the Burlwood pattern this morning, looks killer. Very high resolution. Tomorrow I'll laminate it then put it on. I plan on posting some pictures. I'm also thinkng of taking my factory rims and covering the flats on the spokes with Burlwood just to see how it looks and how long it will hold up. My wife has a 99 Buick LeSabre Custom and her center caps were peeling. I sanded them down and covered them with a lite metallic silver. Looks great and you can't tell the difference. Been on there about 8 months and no problems. The simple trick is using quality vinyl.
Donnie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Wood Trim

Postby QuickSEV6 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:42 am

Donnie wrote:I looked at some trim kits for my 2000 then decided to print my own. I have a graphics shop where we do custom print & cut graphics and full body wraps. I printed the Burlwood pattern this morning, looks killer. Very high resolution. Tomorrow I'll laminate it then put it on. I plan on posting some pictures. I'm also thinkng of taking my factory rims and covering the flats on the spokes with Burlwood just to see how it looks and how long it will hold up. My wife has a 99 Buick LeSabre Custom and her center caps were peeling. I sanded them down and covered them with a lite metallic silver. Looks great and you can't tell the difference. Been on there about 8 months and no problems. The simple trick is using quality vinyl.

I wanna see!!!!

Please post pics.
QuickSEV6

Wood Trim

Postby Donnie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:25 am

What's really cool about going digital is you can do any pattern you want, it dose'nt have to be just wood grain. I've got some killer Carbon patterns. We're really working on taping into new ideas for custom graphics at my shop. It's a whole new adventure.

www.elitesigns.us Sites way in the construction stages but there's some vehicle graphics we've done on there.
Donnie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DrLove » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:58 pm

Im starting to install my "wood" trim since yesterday.
It was cheap ($50) and it's finally a "vinyl", when I asked the guy it said that ti was just like others wood trims on ebay.

when it's well apply, it looks good, but it would be easier if it was more thick. But in same time if it's thick, it will look fake and like a big bubble sticker on it.

For now I did the door buttons, the center headunit, etc..

I try on the HVAC but it looks BS and very stupid, so I removed it, also it looks stupid on the air traps.

Im gonna send pics of the result soon as I can, for now I do it at my lunch time ,when there is sun, with an airdryer (it's under 32F here).

It looks great on the auto-shifter and the headunit bezel.

So it's cool, but if you miss on your first try, it stick a lot and then it do some scratches on the wood effect and wave on the finish.

You get what you paid for.
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Donnie » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:44 pm

DrLove, I just posted some pics of my dash I did today. Sounds like you got what most e-bay graphics are, crap. My cardomain name is GetGraphics and I'm also in Solaraguy's Cardomain page. There's a lot that goes into doing something like this and quality FILM laminated repositional vinyl is the first step. You're not gonna get that on e-bay.
Nameless faceless people on there dude. Once I have time to learn more about posting pictures on here I'll try and come up with a tutorial for dash vinyl installs. I gotta tell you though, it took me about 2 1/2 hours just on the dash, had to do it in 3 pieces making sure the seams were hidden and I've been working vinyl for 18 years. But hey man, we're Solara Guys, I'll help however I can. Best thing about my wrap is it's a total wrap, not just the flat spaces on the face of the dash.
Donnie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DrLove » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi Donnie, where have you posted your pics?

After 2 hrs inside the car, I finally did the job...

I try about every pieces of the kit, but some wood pieces were not fitting perfectly so I removed them, others were looking stupid (like the piece surrounding the e-brake and cups...looks so stupid and fake to be there.)

This is what pieces I've put:

Im gonna take some pics soon. It looks good and make the car feel more luxuous.

However, I would not recommand this product, this cheap vinyl is just like the tape we use to wrap box, like 1mm thick. I would prefer thick one with 3M tape.
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5