[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Valve cover gasket replacement time!
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Valve cover gasket replacement time!

Valve cover gasket replacement time!

Postby solaraluv » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:25 am

Whats up everybody, i just purchased the front and back gaskets for my car I seem to be getting a little leak from the valve cover in the rear. I was just wondering if anyone had to replace thiers and is this a expensive fix? Not to mention i also have to do my oil pan next.
Loved by few hated by many
solaraluv
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby unbalancedwood » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:36 am

I also bought one and will try to find time to actually do it. The front is the easy one to replace, as for the rear its one of those things that should only be replaced if your mechanically inclined.

Midias wrote up for replacing the front:

Step 1 take off plastic cover with 5 or 6 mm alen wrench. Step 2 remove 10 mm bolts holding on valve cover. Step 3 remove old gasket and install new one in valve cover apply gasket maker if called for by instructions in gasket package. Install is reverse of removal. Total time required about 30 min.
unbalancedwood
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:44 am

Yeah the rear one would be a bit of a squeeze, but I just replaced mine too (under extended warranty, not DIY).
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DatSRBoi » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:56 am

Rear will be easy once you get the manifold and all the hoses and wires out.
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby solaraluv » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:29 am

so im probably looking at 2 - 3 hours you think?
Loved by few hated by many
solaraluv
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby anttarz » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:55 am

it might be a good idea to take care of other maintence when replacing the gaskets, pending your mileage and maintence history.
1999 Solara SLE V6 - Complete TRD Suspension (Struts, Springs, RSB, & FSTB) - OBX Headers, Random Tech w/ TRD Exhaust, 18" Kosei K1 TS, HIDs
anttarz
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bronzemaxell » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:53 am

solaraluv wrote:so im probably looking at 2 - 3 hours you think?

if you do it the first time, probably more hours, also consider replace the intake plenum gasket (metal gasket) and while you are at it, very easy to change the rear 3 spark plugs, also require an 8 or 10mm hex key to remove the two bolts for intake plenum.
Diamond Pearl White V6 SE 5 Speed Manual Transmission, Pure Black headlight with RS6 Bixenon HID projectors retrofit
bronzemaxell
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby unbalancedwood » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:40 pm

yes, bumping a new thread.

I'm about to change my valve cover gasket but wanted to see what type of 10mm bolts anyone has used to replace the old ones...people say that its a good idea to use new ones because they use 'crush washers' and it might be good to replace them so they dont break.

So would toyota have these bolts, or anywhere else, part # etc I should be looking for.
unbalancedwood
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Solorange » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:47 pm

I just got my car back two days for the same job. Ive had a horrible experience with it, because I had to take it back to the dealerships 4 times. So far so good, but time will tell if the 4th time took care of it.
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby AllShowNoGo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:52 pm

When i replaced both valve covers at 170,000km. I saw no reason to replace the bolts, all of them were in good condition.
AllShowNoGo
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby 99sle » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:08 am

I just got the 2 valve cover gaskets and the plenum gasket for about $38 from the dealer. Are there any tricks to make the job of the rear gasket on a v6 easier? Also, should I change the spark plugs now with the car approaching 110k miles? What kind of plugs to use? I was thinking denso. It is the wifes car. Thanks in advance.
99sle
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5