[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Oxygen (02) Simulator Installation
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Oxygen (02) Simulator Installation

Oxygen (02) Simulator Installation

Postby Mcthings » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:59 pm

First off, I would like to give a HUGE thanks to CASTRO for telling me how to do this. I had no idea how to do this until he showed me, so I take zero credit for this. I'm just doing a write up of the information that he gave me.

This DIY is for Camrys and Solaras, 1997 and non-california spec. 1998.

I did mine on my 1997 Toyota Camry, v6 (1mz-fe) XLE.

Let's get started.

Unplug your battery. (don't skip this)

The ECU is located behind the glove box. Open the glove box, and unscrew the 5 screws. The first 3 are easy -- the are on the top middle, top right, and top left. The other 2 are a little bit more hidden. One is on the bottom left side of the whole glove box unit (you can get to it with the glove box closed, I belive.) and the other is just opposite of that. Bottom right, near the door sill (if I remember correctly, this one is hidden a little bit).

The glove box, after the screws are taken out, is connected to the dash by simple snap clips. Give it a good tug (make sure there are no more screws still on!!) and it should come out.

There will be a wire hookup thingy on the top left of the glove box as you pull it out. Instead of unclipping it, i just removed the whole clip unit from the glove box, that way I made sure I wouldn't have a loose connection.

This is what you should see:

Now, you'll need the TRD ECU Diagram:

The wire we will be tapping into is on clip E7 and is Pin 18. Is the the pin that I highlighted RED in the diagram.

Please also note that the diagram has an arrow showing you where the top of the clips are. They are in verticle formation, so really that diagram should be rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise.

Your ECU clips should look like this:

I have greyed out everything BUT the ECU clips, and the red shaded clip is the E7 clip. Once you have located this E7 clip (the very top one), just count <-- 1 pin, and up 4 pins. There should be a wire there. I think mine was black (or a really dark color). THIS IS THE WIRE YOU WILL BE CUTTING IN TO!

Now, grab your 02 Sim. Take a look at it. It has 3 wires. BLACK is the ground. GREEN connects to the half of the wire (after you cut) that runs all the way back to the actual 02 sensor. PURPLE connects to the half of the cut wire that goes directly into the ECU, through the plug.

Go ahead and cut the black tape that should be wrapped around that clips wires so you can better get at this pin18 wire. Once you can see the pin18 wire enough to cut it and work with it, do so. Just grab some wire cutters and snip it, making sure that you have enough room on both sides of the wire to connect GREEN and PURPLE.

Then, do just that. Remember:

BLACK- Ground (we'll deal with that one later)
GREEN- half that runs allthrough the car to the 02 sensor
PURPLE- half that goes directly into the ECU through the wire clip.

The easiest way I have found to connect small wires like this is simple -- twisting them, and then wrapping them in electritions tape. I'm sure there are better ways: heatshink, soldering, etc. If you can/know how to do that, do it. It's probably better than my basic twist and tape method.

So connect the 2 green and purple wires by the method of your choice, and we'll move on the the last wire: the black ground wire.

Go ahead and stick your head down under the dash, and look to your right. You should see a fairly thick wire running along the wall to the right, and then it goes to a single bolt connected to the body frame of the car with a ring type terminal. It looks like this:

Just unscrew this bolt enough to wrap the wire around the bolt (come from behind, up, and down, just like if yoyu were screwing the wire onto the bolt). Then tighten the bolt. If you put the wire behind the bolt correctly, it should just keep wrapping itself around the more you tighten the bolt. Make sure it's snug, but I don't see any reason to tighten it too much and risk breaking the wire or something. Snug.

Find a place to put the Simulator box, and you're good to go! I put mine between my factory amp and the ECU clips, but if you can find a better, more secure place, then use your best judgement.

Snap on your glove box, screw in the screws, and reconnect your battery.

You're good to go!

Again, I want to thank CASTRO for helping me. He taught me how to do this, and I'm sharing it to you. If you have any questions, you can ask me, but CASTRO is really the guy that knows what he is doing! 8)
Mcthings
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Paladin06Greg » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:59 pm

So why did you install the simulator? What happened to your OEM simulator and what benefits are gained?
Paladin06Greg
Torqued Solara
Torqued Solara

Postby CASTRO » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:41 am

WOOT! very good writeup, great pics too. couldnt have done it better myself. glad it works.

Greg- we instaleld O2 simulators cause we ordered Dats Y-pipe with an option to use a cat converter or test pipe. The simulator prevents the CEL for us non-cat guys.
97 Camry XLE S/C V6 -- 07 "New Formula Red" S2000 -- 07 "Milano Red" Fit Sport
ImageImage
CASTRO
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Paladin06Greg » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:53 am

I thought that was the case. Cool and good luck with it.

CASTRO wrote:WOOT! very good writeup, great pics too. couldnt have done it better myself. glad it works.

Greg- we instaleld O2 simulators cause we ordered Dats Y-pipe with an option to use a cat converter or test pipe. The simulator prevents the CEL for us non-cat guys.
Paladin06Greg
Torqued Solara
Torqued Solara

Postby Mcthings » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:22 am

yeah, I probably should have made refference to the y pipe, haha

I just noticed last night that the spot I put the simulator (the actual box, between the clips and the amp) may not be the best place. I didn't secure it, I just kinda stuffed it in, and now it rattles a little bit.

just wanted to throw that out there
Mcthings
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Paladin06Greg » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:38 am

So where did you get this sensor simulator?
Paladin06Greg
Torqued Solara
Torqued Solara

Postby Mcthings » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:40 pm

http://urdusa.com/

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php? ... ba9e3b2dd4

I could have sworn that I put that in the DIY, but I guess not. I must have accidently erased it or something
Mcthings
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mcthings » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:27 pm

Just FYI I put this tutorial in my cardomain page (page 2)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2286658/2
Mcthings
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Akfahad » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:30 am

I'll definitely be using this write-up when I install mine. It's a big help, thanks.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby RDKamikaze » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:35 am

Hey, where did you get that TRD wiring diagram? I can't find one for my Gen2 Soalra. Any information would be great, thanks!
RDKamikaze
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Akfahad » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:06 pm

started doing this and my ECU is different (99 of course). Anybody have the diagram for 99+? My ECU is displaced vertically as in the pictures, but I have three columns instead of four, which is what the diagram shows.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby hskrsolara » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:55 pm

^^same here, the 99 diagram would be very helpful.
99 DWP SEV6 5spd 6.5psi+Meth, Tein+Tokico, EricSol+Brembos+EBC, OBX Headers+OBX 3" Exhaust, Supra MAF & 330cc, Spec 2+, Fidanza, TRD lip kit, Injen+Ext, Optima Red, Infinity 60.5+693.7i, 2 Kappa Perfect 12 VQ's+iPod+JVC DVD...etc
hskrsolara
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby DaTwUnKrAziEpInOy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:59 pm

Oddly enough I need a diagram too for a customer's car that I'm working on.
DaTwUnKrAziEpInOy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Akfahad » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:17 am

Bump....nobody who's installed this on their solara's can help me out?
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DaTwUnKrAziEpInOy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:40 pm

I could probably have an answer for you Akfahad by this weekend. Imma get a Haynes manual and do some reasearch and install it.
DaTwUnKrAziEpInOy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5