[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - CEL- Code PO446
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

CEL- Code PO446

CEL- Code PO446

Postby Solorange » Sat May 13, 2006 8:31 am

I was driving home to my parents house this weekend up to Toledo and my CEL came on like two exits before I got home. I ran the code today at autozone and it came up with PO446. Dont have my hanyes manual with me so I ran a search to see if you guys got this code before. You guys got like every code but mine. LOL! But I did find this

P0446 – EVAP System - vent control malfunction
· Same as P0441

P0441 – EVAP Control System - incorrect purge flow
· Open or short in VSV circuit for EVAP
· VSV for EVAP
· Open or short in vapor pressure sensor circuit
· Vapor pressure sensor malfunction
· Open or short in VSV circuit for vapor pressure sensor
· Malfunction in VSV for vapor pressure circuit
· Vacuum hose blocked, damaged, or disconnected
· Charcoal canister malfunction

Just wondering if you guys had this problem before and didnt post it. Your help would be greatly appriciated. If I can fix it myself it would help my broke @ss out. The guy at autozone told me to clean out my fuel system first to see if it goes away. I havent put fuel injector cleaner in for like 6 months so I figured why not. I dont think that will solve the problem. But well see. I did run my fuel tank to just under a 1/4 tank so maybe it sucked something up.

Also whats the VSV?

Any Ideas on how or what to check first would be great. Thanks Hopefully my drive back to Cincy will make it go off.
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: CEL- Code PO446

Postby siennasc98 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:13 am

VSV - Vacuum Sensing Valve
siennasc98
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Re: CEL- Code PO446

Postby siennasc98 » Sat May 13, 2006 7:49 pm

siennasc98 wrote:VSV - Vacuum Sensing Valve

siennasc98
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Solorange » Mon May 15, 2006 1:48 pm

Thanks! So I drove it back to Cincy and the light is still on. I got on it pretty hard on the entrance ramp today and I could smell something. My car smelled like a car that has the Cat removed. So Im smelling toxins that should be contained. Any Idea on were, I should start? Ive got that list but have not idea on were to start. Should I just replace the VSV or the Vapor Pressure sensor? Does anybod know if they cost a lot? As what vacuum hose it is talking about in the list? The one in that diagram or are there several? Thanks in advance, I know I have a bunch of questions.
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Fratsgotasolara » Mon May 15, 2006 5:43 pm

um like i said the canister is most likely the cause and you cant get the two vsv's that fail separatley but the smell is probably just extra sulfur content in the fuel you bought its common in the ohio area fuel we get alot of complaints, but the canister is around 200
"You may not know me, But your girlfriend does!" -Delta Chi OSU
Fratsgotasolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Solorange » Mon May 15, 2006 5:52 pm

Fratsgotasolara wrote:um like i said the canister is most likely the cause and you cant get the two vsv's that fail separatley but the smell is probably just extra sulfur content in the fuel you bought its common in the ohio area fuel we get alot of complaints, but the canister is around 200

I just saw you other post in the other thread. I must have made two posts by accident. Sorry about that. Im gonna do some quick vacuum hose checks first and if thats not it I guess ill pick up a new canister. I didnt expect it to cost that much though. Are you from lima? Im from Sylvania if you heard of that area.
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Fratsgotasolara » Mon May 15, 2006 7:03 pm

well im not from lima but i am going to be here till june 15 06 as i graduate from college, but no i have never heard of sylvania but then again ive never been to cinci either...... ive only been here for two years.... but whats the production date on your car i can get you my price tomorrow if i have that then possibly arrange something
Fratsgotasolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Solorange » Mon May 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Well I have a 99 V6. I actually found time now to go over my chiltons manual. IT actually explains everything really well on how and what to check for. So im not totally convinced that I need to replace the canister. There are other valves that could have failed as well as the canister. Im just wondering what makes you say its the canister? Im just trying to do this fix as cheap as possible cause i dont have that much money. Also are you sure I have to remove the suspension to get out the canister. I checked underneith the car and yes its under the rear crossmember, but there is a gap I think it can slide through towards the driver side. If its not any trouble for you, I still wouldnt mind a price. Also when will you need to know by whether or not I want you to order me the part? Thanks for your help! If this message comes off to you like im mad at you, Im not. I apprciate your help!
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Grazi07 » Mon May 15, 2006 8:26 pm

I had it happen to me... I never had a funny smell and if I didn't have to go for emissions, I probably wouldn't have bothered to replace it. It's actually a very simple repair, but I had difficulty finding the part.
Team Nex-Gen: The new breed of speed!

Check us out at www.teamnexgen.net
Grazi07
SolaraGuy UConn Guy
SolaraGuy UConn Guy

Postby Solorange » Mon May 15, 2006 9:13 pm

Grazi07 wrote:I had it happen to me... I never had a funny smell and if I didn't have to go for emissions, I probably wouldn't have bothered to replace it. It's actually a very simple repair, but I had difficulty finding the part.

What did you repair? Your Charcoal canister?
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Fratsgotasolara » Tue May 16, 2006 12:05 pm

well i say due to experience that the two codes together equal a canister, if you want to spend the extra time to come up with the same thing its your deal, but like i said it just my experience that pushes that diagnosis, and i need the month/year production date to give you an exact price but its 170-180 dependant on the exact one instead of the 240-250 walk in customer price
Fratsgotasolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Solorange » Tue May 16, 2006 7:31 pm

Built 7/98. I checked the VSV for the Evap tonight and it was ok. I also disconnected the battery to reset the light. Well see if it comes back on. If it does I think when I get off work tommorrow im gonna pull out the canister and test that since that is most likely the problem. If I dont check it tommorrow or thursday I definatly do it Sat. And I almost forgot one of my Fraternity brothers just got a job as a salesman at a Toyota Dealership so he can get the part at cost for me which is probably the same price as you unless if you have better hook up. That way I dont have to hassle with the two hour drive each way to meet up. Thanks again for you help! Ill keep you posted.
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Coconut » Wed May 17, 2006 9:38 am

Fratsgotasolara wrote:well i say due to experience that the two codes together equal a canister, if you want to spend the extra time to come up with the same thing its your deal, but like i said it just my experience that pushes that diagnosis, and i need the month/year production date to give you an exact price but its 170-180 dependant on the exact one instead of the 240-250 walk in customer price

I got the OBDII Autoscanner and performed diagnostics on my Solara. The same code as the thread starter showed up (showed twice). Do you think I also need to replace the canister?

My cover gasket seal is worn out, and I will be replacing it this weekend, might be the reason?

I was reading on MSN, that the Charcoal Canister/Evaporative Solenoids are very prone to go out. http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Relia ... y%20Solara
Coconut
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Coconut » Wed May 17, 2006 9:50 am

Error description (from codetrack.spx.com):

The main function of the Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) system is to minimize hydrocarbons (raw fuel vapor) from escaping into the atmosphere.

The EVAP system is a closed/sealed system that traps and stores fuel vapors using a charcoal carbon activated canister. These vapors are then introduced into the combustion chamber to be burned when conditions permit.

The powertrain control module (PCM) controls this process, by opening and closing the purge solenoid and using engine vacuum to retrieve the gas vapors.

The system may also monitor the oxygen (O2) sensor and fuel trim to determine quantity of fuel vapors retrieved, to avoid excessive fuel.

The main components in the EVAP system are the canister, fuel tank, filler cap, pressure sensor, purge solenoid/valve, vent solenoid/valve, etc.
Coconut
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Solorange » Wed May 17, 2006 5:14 pm

Wow! Good find Coconut! I remember before I bought my car 1.5 years ago, I checked the MSN reliability ratings and it had a yellow ! which was moderate problems. I guess a lot can happen in a year. At least we know Toyota takes care of its customers since "Toyota has issued an 8 year unlimited mileage goodwill repair for this condition." So far Ive checked all the vacuum hoses which are good, and the VSV for the EVAP which is under the hood. That was good as well. Behind the gas tank is the Charcoal canister with a Vapor Pressure sensor and a VSV for the Vapor Pressure senser attached to it. I resetted my Check engine light to see if it would come back on. If it does im gonna pull all that crap out and check those three things. The way Carpoint words the Charcoal canister and EVAP solonoids I almost wonder now that if you buy a new charcoal canister it comes with both of those things attached to it. Cause the cost for those part are $264 which is what Fratsgotasolara said the part would cost. Im gonna have to ask toyota tommorrow if thats true. Thanks for the heads up!
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5