[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Question on error code P0171. HELP!
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Question on error code P0171. HELP!

Question on error code P0171. HELP!

Postby user99 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:20 am

I have been batteling with P0171 since three days after I bought the car. It has 167k miles on it.

I have replaced the following:

Spark Plugs (with bosch single tip autozone type ones)
Oxygen Sensors (with universal ones)
Mass Air Sensor
Catalytic Converter

Now I took it to a guy a few weeks ago that said those spark plugs are crap and you need the Denso OEM plugs or better (iridium kind, NGK). I didn't give much thought to it since the car was running smooth. He also said that with universal oxygen sensors that when the car says it is running lean, it is actually running rich (that would explain my mpg drop).

Toyota dealer said the aftermarket catalytic converter (DEC direct fit) will always throw a code (despite what everyone else says).

I have changed out the MASF with no difference. Same codes.

and last night it gave me four other codes saying:

Oxygen sensor slow response B1S1
Oxygen sensor circuit malfunction B1S1

Oxygen sensor slow response B2S1
Oxygen sensor circuit malfunction B2S1

This is the first time I have gotten those four codes so I erased the codes and drove it around a little and looked at my scantool and it said P0171 is pending... and sure enough this morning I got the CEL with only P0171 on it.. so I think the oxygen sensor codes were a one time thing. According to my haynes manual two of those codes can indicate a error in the fuel trim.

-----------

I have checked all vacuum lines and everything else I can check that could cause this and the only thing I have not replaced is the ECT sensor which I do not think is the problem.

I ordered some Denso OEM plugs last night online and will put them in, but my question is can the BOSCH single tip generic type plugs I bought cause this error code ??

Or are my oxygen sensors doing something wrong and I should replace them as well ??

Someone give me some ideas, its driving me crazy.
99 Solara SLE V6, Automatic
user99
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SleeperSolara » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:28 am

It could be both.
You should get a O2 sensor for the Solara.
Universal would work.....but who knows if it right for your car.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby user99 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:21 pm

I put in some NGK Iridium plugs and the P0171 code is pending along with the P0401 (EGR Flow insufficient) ..

Can the EGR valve cause the system to run lean ?? It doesn't say anything about it in the Haynes manual.
user99
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Hsakuragi » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:03 pm

stock car?
The ONE & ONLY Fully Loaded 2006 X Avalon Limited with Body Kit in CA = Special Limited Edition + First 2GR-FE rebored the throttle body (i think...)

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby user99 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:56 am

Hsakuragi wrote:stock car?

Yes, stock with 166k miles.
user99
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby user99 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:11 pm

I got it cleared up, I took it to a local shop that has been known to be really good. He said some of my vaccum lines were not on very good and he did three trip modes. Did not come back with any codes at all. Not even the EGR flow insufficient code.

Still today it has not came back on so that was the problem. Makes ya wish I would not have bought another MAFS (used though $48 ) and two universal oxygen sensors.. but oh well, atleast it is new stuff.
user99
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Question on error code P0171. HELP!

Postby Don2222 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:54 am

Hello

I had the P0171 error code also.
See my Post
http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.ph ... ead/73154/

If you have poor performance and replaced your Mass Airflow Sensor or Air/Fuel sensor with an aftermarket part it will not work! I wasted $70 on an Autozone MAF sensor. Then I bought the $232 OEM Toyota MAF Mass Airflow Sensor or Meter they call it and the car runs like a TOP!! No Checklight either!!

See my frustrations here!!!
Don2222
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: P0171 Error HELP! How I fixed mine

Postby Don2222 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:17 am

Hello

AutoZone dumped the error code for me but they only give you the 1st code their machine sees. Toyota dumped all the codes but charge $94 dollars for it. Since there was no vacuum leaks Toyota wanted to change my catalytic converter just because the front flex pipe was a little leaky and their OEM replacement part is all one piece. Front Flex and Cat. The front flex can be replaced by a local garage for 1/10th the price. Anyway, if the exhaust system is at fault a 420 code should be present in addition to the other codes.

So here is my P0171 Solara Engine Check Light problem and fix!
Don2222
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Question on error code P0171. HELP!

Postby Jay 3rd » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:54 am

Ok so this was close to my problem but not exact, so i figured i'd bring this back up instead of a new thread..
so i failed Emissions here in AZ and it says " P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)(2)"
i'm guessing that is Bank one Sensor 2? where is sensor 2? is that the one right up front or the one by the firewall behind the engine?
im not sure if it's the O2 sensor, i'd hate to pay over $100 (i have to get the cali emissions sensor) and the CEL stay on.
i Checked all the Vacuum's TWICE which all are good. the fuel filter could be replaced but dont think thats it. i will replace that anyway though. thinking about getting a WIX filter.
We unbolted the Catalytic Converter to check that out which the bolts were stripped on so had to grind off the bolts and replace it with new ones. atleast thats done lol. but it actually looked really good.
the Mass Air Flow sensor looked good, cleaned it out anyway though, still nothing.
the only other thing if it's not O2 sensors that i could think of is my Intake. i replaced it with an INJEN intake. i know they say cone filters can cause it cuz the oil, but i cleaned the Mass Air FLow sensor out, and it looks good so i dont know. and just a FYI this CEL was on before i replaced the Intake as well.

so basically im just trying to Eliminate all possibilities before i actually drop a pretty penny on this O2 sensorcan you guys think of anything? or is it pretty obvious just change the O2 sensor
Jay 3rd
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5