[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Power Steering Fluid Flush
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Power Steering Fluid Flush

Postby bassthrive » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:54 pm

for this you will need...

ATF Dexron II or III (i used a little more than 2 quarts)
2-5ft of 3/8 inch vacuum line
Barb coupler (again 3/8 will work fine)
Some garbage bags
A friend

1 ) Put the front wheels on the garbage bags. This will reduce stress on the steering system while doing the flush.
2 ) Remove cap from power steering fluid reservior and siphon as much fluid out as you can.
3 ) Disconnect the return line from the reservior (smaller hose) and hook it into your extension tubing, running it to a bucket or empty soda bottle, etc. (tip - unbolt the coolant reservior and move it up and out of your way)
4 ) Plug the now exposed return hole in the reservior. A small wad of ATF soaked paper towel will work in a pinch.
5 ) Line the area surrounding the reservior with lots of towels to soak up stray fluid.
6 ) Fill the reservior with fresh fluid.
7 ) Have your friend start the car and turn the steering wheel lock to lock. IMPORTANT: your job is to keep the reservior filled with fresh fluid. Shut down when the fluid coming out is the same color as the fluid going in.
8 ) Remove the plug from the reservior return hole and quickly re-attach the return line (here you will understand why we line the area with towels)
9 ) Check your levels, start the car up, turn the wheel to purge any air that may have entered the system, re-check the levels, add more fluid if needed, drive around for a few minutes, check levels again.
10 ) Have a cold one.
Last edited by bassthrive on Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby StockSolara » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:56 am

cool. . . good job man
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6
2000 Lexus GS400
StockSolara
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby jazzlara » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:33 pm

isnt ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid?
jazzlara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Mole » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:33 pm

jazzlara wrote:isnt ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid?

ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby Hsakuragi » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:15 am

YES, check ur manual, it says use ATF for steering...
The ONE & ONLY Fully Loaded 2006 X Avalon Limited with Body Kit in CA = Special Limited Edition + First 2GR-FE rebored the throttle body (i think...)

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby noodlerooney » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:38 am

When I did mine, I didn't run the engine, jacked up the car using front center jack point and turned the wheels lock to lock many times and that was enough to pump the old fluid out. This way, it's a 1 person operation and you don't have to worry about the reservior going dry, easy to keep full. Took about 1 quart but I pushed 2 through for good measure. Used Mobil 1 synthetic Dexron III. Factory fill was undyed (amber colored) Dexron III, don't make the mistake of thinking that it's power steering fluid which has been known to cause leaks. When I reconnected the return line to the reservoir, I made sure the ATF level was below the return port so no fluid leaked out. After return line was reattached, I filled to max line.
Last edited by noodlerooney on Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
2000 SLE Flame Red Metallic, Charcoal Leather Interior, Loaded
15,001 miles, Garage Queen
noodlerooney
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Re: Power Steering Fluid Flush

Postby Hsakuragi » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:34 pm

noodlerooney wrote:When I did mine, I didn't run the engine, just turned the wheels lock to lock and that was enough to pump the old fluid out. This way, it's a 1 person operation and you don't have to worry about the reservior going dry. Took about 1 quart but I pushed 2 through for good measure. Used Mobil 1 synthetic Dexron III. Factory fill was undyed (amber colored) Dexron III, don't make the mistake of thinking that it's power steering fluid which has been known to cause leaks.

if u don't start the car, how can you turn the wheels?
The ONE & ONLY Fully Loaded 2006 X Avalon Limited with Body Kit in CA = Special Limited Edition + First 2GR-FE rebored the throttle body (i think...)

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby noodlerooney » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:46 am

Position jack under front center jack point and jack it up until wheels are just off the pavement, wheels turn easy now.
2000 SLE Flame Red Metallic, Charcoal Leather Interior, Loaded
15,001 miles, Garage Queen
noodlerooney
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Hsakuragi » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:08 pm

^ thank you, i just did it, less than 30 mins, then 20 mins clean up the fluid (i flushed it with some water)...COOL!

YAY!

Hsakuragi
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Whatever » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:26 am

omg i just spent like 150 bucks for that thing :evil:
Whatever
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5