[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Strut Clunking Noise?
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Strut Clunking Noise?

Strut Clunking Noise?

Postby Ben » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:51 pm

Hi.

My wife's 99 Solara has developed a clunking front strut noise from both
sides. What the hell happened, and what is it going to cost to fix?

A dealer said it was strut plates?, and it did not effect the saftey or operation of the car, however; it sounds like the front end is falling off when you hit bumps.

Is this a common thing--what should I do ?

Thanks -

Ben

Co-Owner, 99 SOLARA SLE
Ben

Yes it's a common thing...

Postby SKYravefever » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:56 pm

A lot of the Camrys and Solaras have had problems with the upper strut mount, which causes the clunking. I've also been told by the dealer that it's doesn't affect the performance of the struts, other than the annoying clunks.

Here's a short discussion.
http://www.camryman.org/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=181065

Personally, I've had the clunking for a good 10K mi., and have not bothered with fixing it as it doesn't affect the performance, or so I've been told. It IS definately annoying though. I agree with you that it sounds like my car's falling apart when it clunks :cry:
SKYravefever
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraGirl » Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:31 am

i have also had that noise for a while, and so far everything is ok (knock on wood). :fadein:
SolaraGirl
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SolaraGirl » Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:35 am

i have also had that noise for a while, and so far everything is ok (knock on wood). :fadein:
SolaraGirl
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:41 am

I had the same problem with my left front strut..

I went to the junk yard, and found entire (spring+strut) suspension set up for $65. No more noise...
-19" Konig Tantrum rims.. Sitting in the garage waiting for tires..
-TRD springs.. Sitting in the garage waiting for struts..
-Conrero aluminium foot pedals.. Sitting in the garage due to my laziness.
Jay
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Yanks0114 » Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:24 pm

Jay wrote:I had the same problem with my left front strut..

I went to the junk yard, and found entire (spring+strut) suspension set up for $65. No more noise...

hmm...haven't found many solaras at junkyards, was it from a solara or a camry?
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:25 pm

I had that problem with the rear driver's side. Toyota said the strut was blown and replaced it and it has been good ever since

Postby Cyanide41 » Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:27 pm

sorry, that last post was me. I forget that the work PC doesn't log me in automaticly
JAMES
SC3 Member

To find out how you can own this solara, send an e-mail slvrstreamsolara@aol.com
Cyanide41
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Jay » Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:28 pm

From Solara..

Camry and Solara has different spring rates. If you are mechanically inclined, you can just buy the strut from either Camry or Solara.... Only problem is that junk yards don't like to sell "ONLY" the strut... It's too much work for them to actually compress the spring, and etc..etc...
-19" Konig Tantrum rims.. Sitting in the garage waiting for tires..
-TRD springs.. Sitting in the garage waiting for struts..
-Conrero aluminium foot pedals.. Sitting in the garage due to my laziness.
Jay
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Yohon » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:15 am

Jay, I've got an 01SLE with this problem (I'm aware that Toyota has a TSB for 99MY only), mainly the passenger right front strut.
. . . when hitting certian bumps (not holes) it sounds like the shock wants to shoot to outerspace and makes a magnificant pounding noise in it's effort to do so. jeeesh.

Here, I know of only two (that's 2) bumps in Michigan that will cause this to happen so I avoid them at all costs. Futher, my car has 30k miles and there is no problem with pull etc. except for the fact that my tires have to be replaced already. Bridgestone Potenza's soon to be replace by Bridgestone Turanza H . . . but not before I think that the strut problem or loose ball joint may be wearing down my tires prematurely.

Question:

Can you provide the names of the components you used to replace your struts? and, no I'm not looking to lower my vehicle nor make a stiffer ride . . I be gettin ode man and want a smmooooothe ride. and . . . I do know that eventually my car will be out of warranty, hense I would want to fix them once, and pay the dealer only once.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Yohon

Postby TITO » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:54 pm

I have the same problem on my fornt end and the sound is louder on the right side. As mentioned, the problem is with the upper strut mount. If you replace them with after market strut plates you can fix the problem. Replacing your struts or springs will not. I bought new KYB struts and lowering springs for better handling an appearance. It looks and handles great but the "clunking" noise is still there just as before and it seems to be getting louder. I just can't get myself to pay to fix the strut plates. Somehow I feel like Toyota should pay for it (design flaw). That's why the dealer keeps telling us that IT does not affect safety or handling, its true but it sure is annoying! Big car maker politics.
99 V6, LOWERED, COOL CUSTOM GRILL, TINTED WINDOWS, CUSTOM FRONT BUMPER, WHITE 17" WHEELS, BODY KIT, CLEAR CORNERS, INTAKE WITH K&N.
TITO
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Strut Clunking Noise?

Postby Vampire » Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:15 am

It is quite common. What happens is that the upper part of the spring moves around in the plate and bangs around. The fix by Toyota was a revised upper strut isolator. Which is basically a thicker and slightly bigger upper rubber mount that is supposed to prevent the spring from dancing around and making a noise. Part of it also forms the strut rod accordian cover.

Ben wrote:Hi.

My wife's 99 Solara has developed a clunking front strut noise from both
sides. What the hell happened, and what is it going to cost to fix?

A dealer said it was strut plates?, and it did not effect the saftey or operation of the car, however; it sounds like the front end is falling off when you hit bumps.

Is this a common thing--what should I do ?

Thanks -

Ben

Co-Owner, 99 SOLARA SLE
Paul

02 Solara SE V6 5spd SC
00 Camry LE V6 Auto SC
Vampire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5