[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - crispmongo air filter = HP!!!
Post pictures or videos of your Solara and Camry!

crispmongo air filter = HP!!!

crispmongo air filter = HP!!!

Postby crispone » Wed May 09, 2007 8:01 pm

Well, after a little over 10,000 miles on the CP-e with the afe filter that comes with the kit, I have conclusively determined that:

1) my driving habits are "overly aggressive" and prematurely dry out the filter

2) the filter is inadequately proportioned to fully capacitate the intake capacity

3) a combination of the two

4) my expectations of oiling-to-oiling interval are unrealistic

I have found that after the initial four-to-five thousand miles, the filter appears to "dry out" every two-to-three thousand miles at a time. I don't recall my K&N applications in other cases of extensive use, ever DRYING OUT that rapidly.

I was "struck" by this thought once again on my drive home from work, so I popped in to a local AUTOZONE on the "HUNCH" that they might have a 3.5" diameter band-clamp-type canister or taper filter that would fit my car.

Here's what I ended up with, after some experimentation in the parking lot under the watchful eye of the store clerk...

...yeah... I MADE it fit! 8)

-crisp :evilbat:
Last edited by crispone on Thu May 10, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Biggi_e » Wed May 09, 2007 8:05 pm

thats a big filter. any difference? i know my filter dries out a lot too and i havnt re-oiled it in a looong time...
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby unbalancedwood » Wed May 09, 2007 8:06 pm

Looks really nice Crisp, any initial performance gain or sound?

I suppose your just gonna have to drive it to find out if its better...?
unbalancedwood
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crispone » Wed May 09, 2007 8:13 pm

Yeah... I poot it in whyl KunSooMing GUINNESS DRAPHED BEARS and a couple swigs of BAILEY's... so the option to test drive was obviously not in the cards tonight...

I warmed it up for a spell and then REVVED THE LIVIN' HECK out of it... and my conclusion is:

You gotta be under load to really tell.

Testing tomorrow...

NOTE: It DID sound different from before... FREER BREATHING different.

We'll see... I might have to play with the fuel map a little to compensate for "throttle-on/throttle-off" and a few "plateaus" I notice at around 4-4.5k in particular...

-crisp :evilbat: :drinking:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Good Choice

Postby JMSinMaryland » Wed May 09, 2007 8:22 pm

You can't go wrong with K&N. I was cleaning/reoiling mine every 10k, I called K&N and they told me to do it every 30k, that it actually functions better if left of for longer intervals.
17" Toyota Highlander Limited wheels for sale
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/g ... ed-wheels/
JMSinMaryland
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: Good Choice

Postby crispone » Wed May 09, 2007 8:32 pm

JMSinMaryland wrote:You can't go wrong with K&N. I was cleaning/reoiling mine every 10k, I called K&N and they told me to do it every 30k, that it actually functions better if left of for longer intervals.

I have CONSISTENTLY been satisfied with K&N products for many years as well... and have left their filter products UN-ATTENDED for extended periods, and noticed NO degradation in performance. A VERY durable product. (I DO degrease and re-oil them regularly other than a few instances of exception in my past.)

The JURY is still OUT on THIS setup until I actually drive this thing... and maybe tune it a little respective of the new filters effects, if any.

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Toy1mzfe » Wed May 09, 2007 8:37 pm

That looks huge hahaha. but i bet that thing have better air flow than the old one u had. Looks like an upgrade. good shiz
Toy1mzfe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby crispone » Wed May 09, 2007 8:48 pm

Toy1mzfe wrote:That looks huge hahaha. but i bet that thing have better air flow than the old one u had. Looks like an upgrade. good shiz

IT IS!!! In a COMICAL kind of way... but not TOO goofy. :wink:

I actually looked at one about 3" longer... but my intelligence kicked in and saved the day. 8)

I hope it works.

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Improvements

Postby JMSinMaryland » Wed May 09, 2007 8:48 pm

The only improvements you'll feel will be psychological, you COULD however improve performance by building a box around it to keep out hot engine air.
17" Toyota Highlander Limited wheels for sale
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/g ... ed-wheels/
JMSinMaryland
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: Improvements

Postby crispone » Wed May 09, 2007 9:08 pm

JMSinMaryland wrote:The only improvements you'll feel will be psychological, you COULD however improve performance by building a box around it to keep out hot engine air.

Psychological is good...

I've been toying with that idea since the prior filter... even "entertained" the concept of channelling air through ductwork and a "contained" box to create some "pressurization". I don't know if that's even possible, but I know it takes place on my motorcycles. (Requires specific tuning, too.)

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby crispone » Thu May 10, 2007 11:36 am

WOW!!! :o

After my initial 30-40 mile trial drive this morning... I'm convinced:

LESS RESTRICTION = INCREASED AIR FLOW = MORE POWER

Since the MAF is already dialed in well, and the fuel supplement is RELATIVE to the flow seen at the Mass Air Flow sensor, the system is appropriately compensating for the increase in flow that I am CLEARLY experiencing... and making better power, especially UP TOP, where flow is GREATEST.

I'll try to post the K&N part number when I get home tonight... for anyone that is interested in this 15 minute horsepower gain (if you have CP-e)

NOTE: The filter only cost me $52.99 +tx. THAT'S A BARGAIN!!!

PS The SOUND is NOT quite as loud... but that's because I'm not "SUCKING" through the FILTER element so hard, I believe. It is a little LOWER in frequency, and "fuller-bodied" in tone, still a HOWL, but not quite the "razz" that you heard from the afe filter... interesting... and COOL! :wink:

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby boneezy » Thu May 10, 2007 1:38 pm

damn that filter is huge! so are the injen and cpe intakes the same diameter? haha, i might want to buy a new filter media also.
1999 SE-V6 5spd
160,xxx miles
boneezy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Biggi_e » Thu May 10, 2007 1:45 pm

^^ the cp-e intake piping is 3.5 but im not sure about the injen.
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Akfahad » Thu May 10, 2007 3:07 pm

just took a look at the thread.....HOLY DRYNESS!!! I've never seen a filter that dry. Good thing you got it switched and glad to hear it's made a difference.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby crispone » Thu May 10, 2007 3:21 pm

Akfahad wrote:just took a look at the thread.....HOLY DRYNESS!!! I've never seen a filter that dry. Good thing you got it switched and glad to hear it's made a difference.

DRY for SURE! (The "underside" fins were WET in spots... but mainly right along the steel rib.)

I swear I oiled that thing WELL and kept TRYING to keep an eye on it... but my driving habits will put 2,000 miles on in a HEARTBEAT sometimes (I drove Northwest Ohio to Nashville and back in the same day... 970 miles... just last Monday!), so by the time I pop the hood after a week or two, IT WAS BONE DRY again! NO GOOD! :evil:

I suspect THIS big unit should do BETTER than the original...

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Next

Return to Pictures and Videos