[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - HOW TO: Clean MAF Sensor
How to, DIY, and Get 'er done.

HOW TO: Clean MAF Sensor

HOW TO: Clean MAF Sensor

Postby Jabraltar » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:23 pm

Okay so today I decided to clean out the MAF sensor because I'm going to assume that it was never done by the previous owner, and my gas mileage and performace has been slipping for the last couple of months. Most of you guys know how to do it but for those of you new guys with used Solara's you should definitely give it a shot.

So the first thing you will need is a can of Electrical Contact Cleaner. I used Motomaster Electrical Contact Cleaner which is from Canadian Tire. Not sure if you have it in the States but the equivalent would be CRC Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner in which you can purchase from any auto parts store.

The tools you will need is simply a Ratchet with an 11mm bit, a screw driver, and the cleaner.

So first you will need to locate the the MAF sensor which should be simple but if not here's a picture.

Pop the clip off and then undo the 2 11mm bolts as well as the 2 screws holding it onto the stock/aftermarket intake. It should look like this...

Once it is off, spray a generous amount inside of it here and let it sit until both are COMPLETELY dry!!!! If it's wet when you connect it back up it can severely damage your engine!

Do the reverse to hook everything back up and enjoy the fuel and perhaps even some performance gains!
Gen 1:Custom stainless catback exhaust,Injen SRI..NGK Iridium plugs,2 10'' Kicker subs in Kicker box,Alpine door speakers, Kicker rear deck speakers,Pioneer amp,18'', Pioneer H/U, Icon rims with Falken tires,HID's,LED everything
Jabraltar
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: HOW TO: Clean MAF Sensor

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:13 pm

Looks like you're just cleaning the connectors and not the MAF, right? If so, why remove it?
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby yeungrulz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:43 am

hey man, you know for the air intake kit you have there? did you need to modify it a bit for the maf sensor to fit? or were you able to install the kit straight out of the box?
yeungrulz
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Smaay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:09 am

just FYI, those are 10mm bolts. and if you try to install it and run the engine before it dries, you will damage the sensor before you damage the engine
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pk1064 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:32 am

Cool, i will try it later