[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Changin your passenger CV axle
How to, DIY, and Get 'er done.

Changin your passenger CV axle

Changin your passenger CV axle

Postby SleeperSolara » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:45 am

Here's a tutorial i used to help me wit changin' my passenger CV axle.

http://www.tracystruesoaps.com/tutorials/gen4cvpass/gen4cvpass.html

Now this is what i did.
I didn't use a slidin' hammer cause there wasn't enough room to get it there to slide the hammer to get some force.
But i did use the FWD Axle Puller Adapter as a fork to pull the bearin' out a tad bit.

Here's the Axle Puller Adapter i'm talkin' about:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools-and-Garage-Equipment/FWD-Axle-Puller-Adapter/_/N-264u?filterByKeyWord=27058&fromString=search

I placed the puller near where the guy made the tutorial had the puller up around 11 o'clock position.
Got a small piece of wood to protect the puller, and found a long aluminum pipe, place it on the piece of wood, get a sledge hammer and give it a couple of good hits.
Check on the bearin' to see if it's moved a tad bit from the mount.
Once that has happened, got underneath and use a big flat head and place it at the 6 o'clock position and use a dead blow hammer to and give it a couple of hits and it should pop out enough for you to grab the axle and pull it out.

Now if you have to remove your rear motor mount be sure the have the jack supportin' the engine or have a engine picker hooked up.
If plan on takin' the rear OEM rubber mount out, what i did was saw the metal sleeve a tad bit close to the actual mount and then take a flat head to pry the sleeve up a bit.

^^
You can see on the OEM bushin' that i had pryed the sleeve up a tad bit.
All you do is pry the sleeve more and more and it should start to come out.

Only issue i had was to get the new poly mount pressed in.
You could technical get the old one pressed out if you have a hook up wit a press.

And here is the final result:
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Re: Changin your passenger CV axle

Postby GreeKAvaLoN » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:16 am

u actually posted this at a perfect time. i'm pulling my motor and this is the last that i need (aside from simple things) but so right now i have the haynes manual and it just tells me to pull the axle between the trans and that bracket. soo what you did was you put that puller on the bearing bracket thing and pulled it out like that? mine is refusing to budge.
are avalons supposed to be this fast?
GreeKAvaLoN
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SleeperSolara » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:33 am

GreeKAvaLoN wrote:u actually posted this at a perfect time. i'm pulling my motor and this is the last that i need (aside from simple things) but so right now i have the haynes manual and it just tells me to pull the axle between the trans and that bracket. soo what you did was you put that puller on the bearing bracket thing and pulled it out like that? mine is refusing to budge.

Got your PM. Yeah i used the puller as a fork in speakin', where the part that attaches to the slidin' hammer is at 12 o'clock, and place a small piece of wood to protect it, and find a long metal pipe, and use a sledge hammer and give it a couple of hard hits, if it moves alittle bit out of the mount, go from the underneath and use a big long flat head and hit it to push it the rest of the way.
Remember you MUST remove the metal C clip and the little bolt on the bottom of the mount.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby akora12 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:07 am

I can't believe this actually worked for you. Mine was so seized that it would have never came out w/o a press. I had to drop my tranny to remove the axle first, and then have the axle and bearing removed from the mount with a press.

My complaint with tracystruesoaps' tutorial is that the new bearing and axle can just slide back into the mount. No matter how much sanding or anti-seize I used, the axle and bearing took some serious pounding to go back in. The application for a V6 manual trans may be different, though.
2000 Solara SEV6 5-speed S/C - Dismantled and sold :(
akora12
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby GreeKAvaLoN » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:47 pm

yep. i agree with akora, mine is not budging no matter how hard i hit push pound or anything. i tried what sleeper said and the link said. tomorrow im buying some wrenches and just gonna pull the whole rear bracket out.
are avalons supposed to be this fast?
GreeKAvaLoN
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Tutorials