[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - cheap sound deadening
How to, DIY, and Get 'er done.

cheap sound deadening

cheap sound deadening

Postby i4yue » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:39 am

so ive been reading alot of posts about how to sound deaden a car for an audio system or to just quiet down your ride and everyone seems to use the expencive stuff like dynomat or edead.

i did some research and found that the only difference between most commercial sound deadeners and the cheap rubberized roof repair stuff at lows is the glue adhesive that is used. edead and dynomat uses butyl and claims that it resists heat better then old rubberized asphalt adhesive. what i found out was that my attic where the roof repair goes gets well above 170F(thats as high as my thermometer goes) and the glue is just fine.

edeads roll is about $1 per foot and the stuff i got at lows was about $12 for a 6inch by 32ft roll

another thing i used to further sound deaden and insulate my car was foam gap filler and double later bubble wrap with aluminum backing on both sides. i guess this would the the poor mans alternative to something like heavy vinyl. the bubble wrap is about $30 for a 60sq/f roll and works amazing!

these are the before pics

side note...that little LITTLE piece of silver thing is the previous owners or the manufacturers attempt to deaden that panel i guess...was kinda funny to me because thats the ONLY thing they did in the whole car

and after pics

also popped the back part off of the head liner and threw in a big thing of bubble wrap up there to help keep the car cool too. couldnt get a good pic of that without destroying the headliner. also i put the foam into all the cracks where panels would vibrate against each other and rattle.

deadened my doors also but didnt get pics of that =(
i4yue
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: cheap sound deadening

Postby MisterTedster » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:05 pm

That cheap deadener in the rear panel is from the factory. It's there to cut out the resonance of that panel, which is why some folks like to use just a small bit of butyl deadener on each of the panels, layered with a foam, and then mass loaded vinyl. Check out www.sounddeadenershowdown.com
02 SE V6
TRD FSB, TRD RSB, Dual TRD Mufflers, Eibach Springs, KYB Struts, OBX SRI, Fujita F5 Filter
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SleeperSolara » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Not bad man.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby solara4me » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:35 am

Where did you purchase the supplies for this project. Do they have a web site or phone # that I could purchase from?
solara4me
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Tutorials