[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?

Re: Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?

Postby kingkakyle » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:36 pm

DriDed wrote:I plan to get just the HID low beams and they will be 35w 6000K, would the car look weird with hid low beams and stock halogen fog lights?

the coloring would be off.....thats about it
ur fogs would look more yellow....i replaced my fogs with some nokya hyper whites or something which helped with the color being similar
but now im changing to yellow HIDs for my fogs after it stops raining
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DriDed » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:37 pm

I think a setup like the one in the picture would look great, for some reason I like it like that. :lol:

Once I get the low beam HIDs on, the foglights will get rarely used so...........byahhhh :lol:
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kingkakyle » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:41 pm

i dont use my fogs to see better
i use them for aesthetic/looks
personally i think the car looks too boring/blank when the fogs rn't on at night
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DriDed » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:49 pm

kingkakyle wrote:i dont use my fogs to see better
i use them for aesthetic/looks
personally i think the car looks too boring/blank when the fogs rn't on at night

After a discussion with a friend of mine, I have decided to get both HID lows and fogs.

The online shop stopped selling the 55w, so I am gonna go with 35w 6000k for both lows and fogs.
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kingkakyle » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:07 pm

fogs have to be 35w otherwise it'll be too hot for the housing
also even though both are 6000K, the color will be off
our headlight housing adds some blue to the color i think
also they are projectors so will have different coloar than fogs
just an FYI
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DriDed » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:41 pm

kingkakyle wrote:fogs have to be 35w otherwise it'll be too hot for the housing
just an FYI

They won't be too off, I want a slight hint of blue in both of them and 5000k might be white with no blue and I don't want that.

Thanks for the help. :D
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:32 pm

kingkakyle wrote:fogs have to be 35w otherwise it'll be too hot for the housing
just an FYI

Even 35W is crazy hot (in fog housing) but its fine... Much hotter than the 55w lows.

Drided: if your able to get 55w go for 8000K thats what I have on top. my setup is exactly what I wanted personally, not straight up "blue" but not white or yellow either. Just enough blue to show you have HIDs.

About fogs helping, before HIDs it didnt do TOO much, but after getting HID fogs it makes a pretty big difference, the fogs let the light go everywhere, where as the lows have the cutoff. Makes a big difference.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:15 am

wkbrdr91 wrote:Even 35W is crazy hot (in fog housing) but its fine... Much hotter than the 55w lows.

Drided: if your able to get 55w go for 8000K thats what I have on top. my setup is exactly what I wanted personally, not straight up "blue" but not white or yellow either. Just enough blue to show you have HIDs.

About fogs helping, before HIDs it didnt do TOO much, but after getting HID fogs it makes a pretty big difference, the fogs let the light go everywhere, where as the lows have the cutoff. Makes a big difference.

If I can get 55w 8000K for the low beams, I will but we will see when I buy them this summer.

DDMtuning is only selling the 35w for the hids so 6000k for both low beams and fogs are my current choice of setup.

:sweet:
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ThurzNite » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:58 pm

wkbrdr91 wrote:but after getting HID fogs it makes a pretty big difference, the fogs let the light go everywhere, where as the lows have the cutoff.

Isn't that counter productive of the fogs function?

Take a read of the 1st paragraph of the Fog/Foul weather section: http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/LightAimingGuide.html
There are two important issues to address when installing fog lights, the first is to minimize the amount of return glare into the driver's eyes, and the other is to minimize glare into oncoming driver's eyes. Both must be accomplished while putting as much light as possible on the road.

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:34 pm

ThurzNite wrote:
wkbrdr91 wrote:but after getting HID fogs it makes a pretty big difference, the fogs let the light go everywhere, where as the lows have the cutoff.

Isn't that counter productive of the fogs function?

Take a read of the 1st paragraph of the Fog/Foul weather section: http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/LightAimingGuide.html
There are two important issues to address when installing fog lights, the first is to minimize the amount of return glare into the driver's eyes, and the other is to minimize glare into oncoming driver's eyes. Both must be accomplished while putting as much light as possible on the road.

Dr J

The HIDs do not do anything but make the fogs brighter than they already were. They have always been making everything in general brighter, the HIDs just make you notice it as you pull up along a drivethru or something similar.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DriDed » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:48 pm

^^
I think this photo shows the 55w 8000k lows/ 35w 6000k fogs HIDs on Wkbrdr91's Solara really well, look how dang bright the fogs are haha. Compare his to my car on the left, which has stock halogen lows and fogs.

Here is another photo of his car at night:

I can't wait to get the 35w 6000k lows and fogs this summer :D .
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:00 pm

SoSleek wrote:The relay kit will not help. Relay kits are made to supply power through larger wire, directly from the battery. They are mainly for older vehicles that do not use big enough wire in the factory harness to supply the current needed to power HID's. Our cars do not have this problem.

Tools you will need:
Wire Strippers
Razor
Soldering Iron
Permanent Marker or Pen

Materials you will need:
(2) H11 Male to Female Pig Tails (Part Number: PGJ19-2, about 1/4 down the page)
(2) 4700µF 35v Capacitor (Radio Shack stores stock these)
Electrical Tape (Self Amalgamating Tape is recommended, which bonds to itself making a better seal)
Solder

The photo below shows an example of a similar finished product (before being taped). Use the photo as a reference while following the directions below.

**During the following steps, be sure that the Capacitor leads and the Pig Tail wires DO NOT TOUCH POSITIVE TO NEGATIVE**

How-to:
1. Remove wire loom from pigtails to expose negative and positive wires
2. Separate wires enough to lay capacitor in between like shown in the photo above
3. Bend the Capacitor leads as shown in the photo.
4. Lay the Capacitor in between the positive and negative wire of the pigtail with the arrows on the capacitor pointing towards the male plug. Also make sure the lead that the arrows points to will be connected to the negative wire on the pigtail and that the opposite lead on the capacitor will be connected to the positive wire.
5. Use marker or pen to mark the positive and negative wires where the leads will be soldered.
6. Use Wire Strippers and Razor to remove the wire casing in the areas of the wires that you marked.
7. Solder the Capacitor in place
8. Electrical Tape both of the areas that you soldered, also covering the ends of the capacitor.

You're Finished!

Now take this product and plug the female end into your stock headlight plug and the male end into the ballast. Fire it up, and hope you don't hear a loud pop. A loud pop would indicate that you wired the capacitor backwards to how it was described in this How-To. Good luck and let me know how it works for you.

Is the error code eliminator the same thing? Id rather just buy that than make a capacitor myself.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Error ... tor-3-PAIR

I know this is a late reply... thanks!
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:10 am

Very well could be. It sounds like they may be Capacitors because it says that reverse wiring may cause them to explode...which is true for a capacitor. I would call them to make sure. Are you still having issues with yours? That surprises me, I have the same car.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 am

btw, Wkbrdr91, What is the red that you can see in the lower grill?
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:20 am

I never did your DIY, Ive not had time... and it would be easier for me just to order those things from DDM and not have to worry about doing it wrong.

The red things are (3) air horns 8)

2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades