[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Transmission Seal - Gen 1 V6 Auto
Stock talk about Solara

Transmission Seal - Gen 1 V6 Auto

Transmission Seal - Gen 1 V6 Auto

Postby amp3188 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:40 pm

Gents,

Been a while.

My 99 Gen 1 V6 w/ Auto Tranny has had a transmission seal go bad. It started with a light leak back in January, but the leak disappeared when the seasons got warmer. The recent cold temperatures seem to have brought a reemergence of the leak, but now with higher volume of loss. The leak only occurring during the cold weather is what has lead me to believe that it is just a seal - or at least I'm 90% sure it is just the seal. I am nearly to 250,000 on the odometer, and I'd like to reach that and beyond, but the repair was quoted for 1-2 grand and frankly that is worth more than the car is appraised for. She's been a good car and she's lived a rough and tough hard life with mostly city driving. I'd like to get this taken care of though if at all possible.

Any suggestions other than adding more transmission fluid and puking it as I go?

Thank you all!
1999 V6 SLE Red Solara - 247,xxx
2003 V6 SLE Black Solara Convertible - 167,xxx
amp3188
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Transmission Seal - Gen 1 V6 Auto

Postby TadS » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:29 pm

Can you post a picture of the leakage? Like where it's coming from.
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby amp3188 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:45 am

http://aaron-pierce.photoshelter.com/ga ... ioWyXWZIDQ

There's a photo. The leak is coming down and dripping from that center bracket. It is clearly wet in the photograph. I will hopefully have it up on jack stands this weekend. I'll get a better photograph then.

*Sorry if there is text over the photo. It seems like Photoshelter is not removing the copyright protection even though I have disabled that option.
amp3188
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby TadS » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:03 pm

I'll look at it when I get home. I need to see where the fluid is coming from. Looks like you have a bit of fluid around the pan, but that's a 10 minute job. Who checked out your car? I know several shops down there, as I was a manager and brake/alignment tech at the Sear's Auto Center @ Lafayette Sq. before it shut down.
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby TadS » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Based on what I can see, and what you've said: Is it leaking from around the passenger cv-axle? If so, it's not too bad to fix. You'll have to pull the shaft, which can be difficult if the carrier bearing is seized into the bearing housing, but other than that it's fairly simple. Look forward to seeing the better picture.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby amp3188 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:20 am

I've been unable to get the car up on jack stands. My friend with the stands has had his Cherokee up on them since my post. He's in far dire straits with his vehicle than mine at the moment. I'll update as soon as I get it in the air with those better photos. Thanks again!
amp3188
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Solara OEM