[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Gas Mileage
Stock talk about Solara

Gas Mileage

Gas Mileage

Postby Kioko » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:27 am

Im in the I4 Solara and I am getting maybe 18 MPG, I know I need a tuneup (already have what I need) but what more can I do to improve upon this? I have a shortram intake, but everything else is basically stock engine wise. Exhaust was modified but just to a split into two mufflers, that wouldnt change to much would it?
Image of Solara incoming, work to be done first.
Kioko
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Gas Mileage

Postby 1gSE » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:35 pm

driving habits. Pretty sure DriDed will chime in here
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Kioko » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Driving habits are pretty well, Try to stay under the 3k, but I know many Solaras get 25-30 that I've seen. Would new plugs and wires really add that much to the MPG? What about then fuel filter? I'm pretty sure the Denso fuel filter that comes stock lasts a long time, I've only got about 135.5k on the motor.
Kioko
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Solarasian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:49 pm

you are burning so much gas... lol more than a V6. Stock V6 gets like 27mpg i believe on the highway. are you in a lot of traffic? lots of stops? tire pressure alright?
Auto SLE V6
6000k VVME Bi-Xenon
GReddy SP2 catback
injen SRI is2030p
Kaminari Lip Kit(stand by)
Tokico hp Struts
Tein S Tech
Solarasian
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Kioko » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Not to much,
New tires, will check pressure
Kioko
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Bostonlara » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Check your plugs, air filter, tires, throttle body. Any CEL's??? If so that could be it. Maybe a vacuum leak or two as well. You'd be surprised how a CEL will murder your MPG. O egr codes will kill mpg too
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DriDed » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:11 pm

The main thing is to go easy on the gas pedal, use the "instant mpg" display (if equipped) in your car to help you in adjusting your driving.

If you see a red light up ahead, take your foot off the gas and coast to it; sometimes the light turns green before you come to a complete stop, saving you a lot of fuel (the car uses quite a bit of energy to move from a dead stop).

Use routes with less traffic lights or traffic if possible.

Coasting is your friend in getting good mpg, that is one of the main reasons why I get about 27-31 mpg in the city with my 2004 I4 Solara automatic; I coast to red lights and stop signs all the time.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Toyota Solara OEM