[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Ideas on improvong gas mileage
Stock talk about Solara

Ideas on improvong gas mileage

Ideas on improvong gas mileage

Postby koenigturbo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:26 pm

I have a 03 Solara, with a v6. The car has 67,000 miles on it, and it runs like a champ, so the engine is in great shape. I'm lookng for ideas on how to improve gas mileage, it gets it average gas mileage now. I was wondering if an after market piggy back and dyno tune would help (or anything like that). I know at the facory they are set for optimum performance, but it doesn't neccesarly mean it tune for best mileage. Oh, I do not have the T.R.D. supercharger, it's a stock N/A.v6.

Thanks everyone!
koenigturbo
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Ideas on improvong gas mileage

Postby Down2TheC » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Any APC and/or intake will improve mileage a bit. Factory mixture is set rich so temps stay down and the cat lasts past mandated warranty. Leaning it up gets you better power and efficiency. I doubt you'll make up the investment in fuel bills unless you drive a lot, but beyond the only alternative is to drive like a granny. Slow off the line, coast a lot, and use cruise control when possible.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby 1gSE » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:41 am

Buy a Prius.....
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby sle-pur » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 am

i was averaging 26mpg city hwy with my 05 sle 2.4l auto. just ran the injen intake and for the last 5 days my average has gone up to 30.5 mpg driving the same routes each day. next would be to open up the exhaust with either a TRD or magnaflow to help flow the air out the exhaust and should see a mpg or two gain from that. tire pressures are also key along with driving like a granny. going to run some NST under drive pulleys in the future to see if that helps any as well.
sle-pur
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby koenigturbo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:47 am

a S.L.E. with a 2.4, didn't know they had such engine, here's qeustion, 2.4 is a 4 cylinder? Or is it a small six? I tought all S.L.E.'s were six's. Here's a couple of issue's I have with the intake and exhaust change; one: it's gonna be louder, unless you only mean the muffler. I'm trying to keep it whisper quite two: by opening up the exhaust and intake wouldn't I lose low end drive ability? Yep know I cant have my cake and eat it too. I'm a Solara newbie, go easy on your reply. Thanks though I appricieate your help.
koenigturbo
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby yaddadaimsayin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:37 am

drive like Drided
l CP-e Intake l TRD Lowered/Exhaust/RSB l 20/5 Tints l Custom Grille l Alpine HU l Rocksford Amp l 2 10" JBL Subs l 6000k HID l Smoked 2.5 Tails l Satisfied Driver l
yaddadaimsayin
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby sle-pur » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:07 pm

2.4l is a DOHC VVTI 4 banger, only makes like 155hp at the crank so im not fixing mine up for big hp gains, same motor as what came in the scion TC. So far so good with the intake with an avg 3-4 mpg increase. i bought a 100$ full unit magnaflow im going to cut my stocker off and weld this one up with a 5x8x14 body with a 4" tapered tip already welded to the output end with a 2.25" inlet. should see some more mpg gains after i keep my foot out of it. personally a huge fan of the magnaflow mufflers, great sound compared to the raspiness of the flowmasters. anything can go back to stock. the 3.0 v6 sounds like a 350z when backed with a magnaflow and high flow cats. sounds pretty sick IMO. keep your foot out of it and keep your resonators and i dont think you will mind a little more air movement noise through the intake and out the exhaust of your v6. if you want quiet, get a prius and stay under 5mph, they are silent. lol
sle-pur
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sle-pur » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:09 pm

also would like to report that my intake is only louder than stock at WOT> so no exhaust noises louder yet. will post vids of before and after once i can figure out how to do so on here and after the magnaflow is welded up.
sle-pur
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby briando » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:05 am

i'm looking for the white whale here people. who has the best way for my Solara to save me at the pump, and still be FUN to drive?
briando
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:35 am

Wtf is up with the link?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby ThatVietGuy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:04 am

Spam probably
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby sle-pur » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:40 am

start walking instead of driving, saves a fortune
sle-pur
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby seashoregirl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:52 am

Looking for the same as the OP. '06 Solara purchased at 95k miles on the odometer.
I drive 25k a year. Got the car less than a month ago and I've put 1k on it already *sigh*. It's only going to get worse as the holidays approach. Getting about 26mpg. What could I do to improve it.
seashoregirl
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:55 am

yaddadaimsayin wrote:drive like Drided

lmao, yes exactly this. I have no clue how that kid gets such great MPG's.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby pwizzle » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:42 pm

I think he swapped out his engine in favor of hamster power.
"To be is to do" - Plato
"To do is to be" - Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Sinatra
"Scooby Dooby Dooo!!" - Scooby Doo
pwizzle
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Toyota Solara OEM