[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Installing Pioneer AVH-3300BT
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Installing Pioneer AVH-3300BT

Installing Pioneer AVH-3300BT

Postby kavdawg » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:10 am

Hey Everyone,

I'm a periodic lurker and now first time poster to this forum. I've been a proud owner of a 2004 Silver SE Sport since October 2003. It has served me well over the last 8 years and is going strong with 100k miles and I hope it will continue to serve me will for another 100k+ miles. The car is completely stock with no modifications whatsoever. Gone are the days of good FM radio programming and burned CDs. I have decided after all these years to finally upgrade my stock JBL 6 disc headunit with something a bit more modern. I have never done any car stereo installation work and my only real technical experience is minor speaker wiring work for my basement home theater system. So in essence, I'm a total newbie. I've decided to start this thread to post my install experience so maybe someone down the line can benefit from my successes and blunders along the way.

After some research the last few days I decided on the Pioneer AVH-3300BT.

What appeals to me this head unit is it meets my needs: hands-free phone, iPhone integration with navigation capabilities, nice touchscreen and a reputable name-brand. I ended up purchasing this unit from Crutchfield. While I found a cheaper price on Amazon (by nearly $100), I decided to go with Crutchfield due to its reputation and tech-support. I figured since I'm a novice at this, I'll probably end up using their service during the install.

My order from Crutchfield will include the unit and a Scosche dash kit. Doing some research on this forum, it seems that from the Scosche silver color is a bit off from the OEM color and that the Metra is a better match. While this is a concern, I'm going to stick with the Scosche and see what it looks like to me. I figure if it looks bad, I can always replace it with a Metra kit later.

Crutchfield also recommended that I purchase a wire harness that will connect the Pioneer to the factory JBL amp. I ended up not ordering this opting to bypass the JBL amp based on past experience of other users with JBL amp integration interfaces. Instead, I purchased a Metra 70-8117 from Amazon for around $10. I'm hoping this does the trick. I recall reading on an old post, that one user stated that by using this harness one will lose their center speaker? Is this true? Is there anyway I can bypass the JBL amp and not lose my center speaker? Should I have just gone with the recommended amp integration interface?

I also purchased an PAC-SWI PS to use my steering wheel control. Hoping that this part of the install goes well.

Finally, I'd like to bypass the parking break so anyone I have in the passenger seat can watch movies while on the road, but I understand doing so would violate the factory warranty. So I guess I'll hold off on that for now and maybe save that project for down the road.

I'll be doing this install on Saturday, so I'll be sure to post pictures later this weekend. Let me know if you have any suggestions or tips before I go through with this. Thanks in advance!
kavdawg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Installing Pioneer AVH-3300BT

Postby kavdawg » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Update:

Was able to take out the trip and the factory radio today. I'd like to hook the radio up now, but 1 problem...how exactly do I access the JBL amp? I know it's behind the glovebox, but I can't visualize it from the dash. I know I need to get to the amp so I can get the output cable to hook up to the Metra 70-8117. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
kavdawg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ThurzNite » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:02 am

Any update on this?
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:30 pm

kavdawg wrote:Update:

Was able to take out the trip and the factory radio today. I'd like to hook the radio up now, but 1 problem...how exactly do I access the JBL amp? I know it's behind the glovebox, but I can't visualize it from the dash. I know I need to get to the amp so I can get the output cable to hook up to the Metra 70-8117. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

If that Metra harness was made properly, you should be able to use what went to the old head unit without digging for that amp.
Let's see...
OEM HU
Harness
Hmm... those harnesses on the Metra match the old HU...
I see your problem... the title of the Metra harness is one thing on the discontinue product page that you linked to, but in the instructions the title of the product is... wait for it...
Power/Amp Bypass Harness

So that's for bypassing not integrating the JBL amp. Products to use the amp with an aftermarket HU are much more than $10.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Down2TheC » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Here's the gizmo to let you keep the JBL driving the speaekers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127TATO/PA ... ml?tp=3486
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby corlon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:23 pm

i have a way to bypass the video block very easily. pm if interested.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:04 am

Good to see you posting your experience for others! I would HIGHLY recommend considering upgrading the speakers as well... AND going a component amp, but that's just me!

I'll sit back and watch your progress with interest regardless... just to see how you fair with your aspirations! Hope it comes together for you without too much hassle, there are MANY ways to get to where you are headed... and it's always okay to adjust your system and setup as time goes by and your get more ambitious or otherwise adjust your goals. ANY incremental upgrade from OEM is USUALLY a good move. Balance is the key!

BTW, there are MANY guys in here with a LOT of audio experience, both WITH these cars and in general. I HIGHLY encourage enlisting their INPUT, while always tempering whatever we have to say with what YOU really WANT to do. At the end of the day, YOUR OPINION and SATISFACTION are all that really matter!

Happy audioing! :D

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5