[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Rear Deck.....
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Rear Deck.....

Rear Deck.....

Postby SolaraSilver » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:52 pm

I was selling my car a while back due to a job change. So I sold my big subs, amp and touchscreen navi head unit. Things worked out for the better and I am not moving so I am keeping the car. Just dropped in an 8" powered bass tube (sound great) in teh trunk and have new 6x9's for the rear deack.....How do I remove the plastic covering of teh rear deck inside the car without destroying whatever bits and pieces keep it in place? I recall seeing instructions on here a while back but cannot find them.

I also just got component 6.5's for the front. That will happen this weekend when I have time to fabricate a mounting bracket. Right now I plan on keeping teh stock desk as my car will be parked at the airport often when I fly out, but I really miss having DVD. The nav I don't miss as I have Google Maps on my phone. I may add a little amp and an EQ if I can find a nice spot to hide it.

Any help on the rear deck?
SolaraSilver
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby XEusioN » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:31 pm

Going by the Service manual, you'll have to remove a whole boatload of interior trim pieces starting at the B pillar and working your way back. When I get home later, I'll try and post the directions :)
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8
2004 Toyota Solara SE
7.1L - 12 Cylinders :: 442hp/488lb-ft
XEusioN
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraSilver » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:20 pm

Correct me if I am wrong....but this is the only way to get the stock 6x9s out right?
SolaraSilver
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SolaraSilver » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:18 am

Tonight I got the itch to start my project early. I took the front dash speakers out.....The front door speakers I pulled out, cut the cone out (leaving just the plastic mounting bracket), cut 1/4" board to fill where the 6x9 was, screwed in into the plastic and ran a bead of liquid nails to seal it up. I then cut to fit for the new 6.4" mid-bass woofer. No room for the tweeter so I surface mounted each one pointing out from the lower cargo pocket in the door. These components sound a million times better than the stock 6x9s and dash high rang speakers.

I used the new Power Acoustik 6.5" component set. I am quite happy. I think I should add an amp for sure. New 6x9's in the rear deck tomorrow....oh, and since I miss my old subs I dropped in a 250watt RMS 8" bass tube in the trunk. Saves space and sounds amazing! I will get some pics tomorrow. Its late and raining out
SolaraSilver
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SolaraSilver » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:50 pm

Front and rear new speakers (fronts are difficult to see, but you can see the tweeter). Also the new sub in the trunk
SolaraSilver
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby XEusioN » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:12 am

Hey, did you find any shortcuts to removing the rear deck?
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8
2004 Toyota Solara SE
7.1L - 12 Cylinders :: 442hp/488lb-ft
XEusioN
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby redgen1 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:53 am

hah i would love to hear of a short cut... but i doubt it exsists. it takes forever to get that rear out..
02 SLE V6
Kaizen *constant improvement*

-progress on hold while another project takes priority
redgen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraSilver » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:36 am

No real shortcuts, but it definately did not take too long. Dropped my rear seats and sat there staring at it for a minute or two. The B-Pillars just pop right off. Moved them aside. The carpeted molding around the lower rear deck I pulled back and pushed to the underside of the rear deck. Starting in the center of the rear dead (that faces teh rear seats) I just started pulling and teh clips came out. Once you get to each you have the pull the side molding out just a little to geth the deck to release. Then push the corner of the deck up and twist the corner with the seatbelt guide out. Once you have each corner out the deck slides right out. Took me about 10 mins. I used to be nervouse about breaking things, but I have accidentally broke and repaired enought things over my last 6 cars that I just roll with the punches now.

Remember that while the deck is out you can eliminate rattles. I stuffed mine with some polyfil type material I had around and also wrapped the insert points that stick out (there are 4 on the back of the deck that slide just under the window) with 1/8" rubber. 3M double sided tape works too. It just makes teh contact point softer and have less rattles.

Speakers went in easily. I intentionally pulled a set of 6x9's from our warehouse that had a huge surround because I did not want to fabricate another adapter. Whole things sounds amazing now!
SolaraSilver
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby JD » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:08 pm

What type of 6 x 9 speakers did you use for the rear. I don't want to fabricate anything either, just want something that fits.
JD
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:42 am

I used Audibahn's but had to use an ebay bracket to get hole allignments.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Astro » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:17 pm

The rear deck sucks in both gens, so what I did when I changed mine out was removed the stock grill and re-carpeted the deck. Now, I can just remove the new grill and have direct access to the speakers. Just buy carpet and spray adhesive and trim to size. It's like having a new deck!
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby JD » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:01 pm

I am having trouble finding speaker adapters on ebay.

When you say the rear deck sucks, do you mean the speakers or the plastic deck itself?
JD
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Astro » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:03 pm

Just the fact you have to take out most of the paneling and the seats to get to the speakers.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro

Postby Black Bob » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:36 pm

I'm researching how to get access to the rear speakers and I come across this and all I have to say is ARE YOU FRIKKEN KIDDIN' ME?!! We have take out the whole rear deck and pillars just to access the rear speakers? Wutup wit dat shi?! Currently all I want to do is visually see if I cracked one speaker. I tried feeling around the bottom of the speaker but that ain't enough, I need to see the top (ideally I would like to take the actual speaker out and test the cone integrity). While bumpin' Lil John and Paris Hilton on the way home from work today I noticed a crackle when I cranked it pass 45, usually I can bump Paris' sweet voice up to 56 with no problem. I can't tell if the cackles the speaker or if it is actually a rattle in the deck. I'm try to do a search on more specific directions (hopefully with pix) on getting to the rear speaker but I feel I may be missing it, could someone point me in the right direction?
Current: 2008 Brick Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Upgrade Pkg# 2
Previous: 2005 Arctic Frost Toyota Solara SE Sport V6
Black Bob
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Location: NE Ohio--where we know nothing about everything and we know it the loudest

Postby [SMAN] » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:12 pm

If you look in the tutorial section for my thread about sound deadening, you'll find step by step disassmble pictures of the entire interior of the car. This, combined with the factory service manual should show you how to take out the rear deck. Takes about a half hour if you take your time on everything.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5