[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Done w/ pics ! JBL Radio Replacement Interface
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Done w/ pics ! JBL Radio Replacement Interface

Postby Ruski » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:16 am

looks nice .. is this unit single disk unit? like you can only use navi at one time and music at another time not both at once ?
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Sebas007 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:56 pm

Ruskimafia wrote:looks nice .. is this unit single disk unit? like you can only use navi at one time and music at another time not both at once ?

Navigation function are in the KNA-G510 unit (a little 4"x4"x1.5" box) I can listen to my DVD full of MMp or MP3 USB key or radio while having the naavi screen on ! :)
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Solara08861 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:45 pm

I love my set up.
What do you have on the USB port?
Solara08861
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sebas007 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:35 pm

Solara08861 wrote:I love my set up.
What do you have on the USB port?

Nothing yet. But I know I could plug my 2 Gig USB Key...the thing is I don't know by where I could access it or by where I can I pass the USB wire. I don't have I-Pod.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby [SMAN] » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:45 pm

What i did with my aux in jack, was run the cable right into the cubby below the HVAC, with a little prying, you can actualy seperate the pieces in there big enough to run a wire though or even a cigarete lighter plug. This is how i ran my radar detector wire so it loks like it's hardwired.
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sebas007 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:15 pm

^^^
It's what I like on SG...knowledge sharing !! Thanks mister S ! ;)
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Zogg » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Sebas007 wrote:- Volume is ok but not perfect...need to know more about Peripheral TJA product ( Ie-mailed them) Issue with the Bd gain dip switches. But I can hear no problem...

Sebas007,

Does the Peripheral TJA work well? Yours was the only comment I could find by Googling of someone actually using it. I have the Scosche JBL adapter and it acts a little weird at times, and I have read of some problems with the Metra adapter as well.

For example if I fade to the rear and then change balance to the left or right, the sound level drops off almost to nothing. Changes take several seconds to kick in at times. And it just doesn't seem like the rear speakers are as loud as the front.

I was wondering if the TJA's gain setting helped any or if you experienced similar problems to mine?

Thanks,
Z
Zogg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Sebas007 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:03 am

Zogg wrote:
Sebas007 wrote:- Volume is ok but not perfect...need to know more about Peripheral TJA product ( Ie-mailed them) Issue with the Bd gain dip switches. But I can hear no problem...

Sebas007,

Does the Peripheral TJA work well? Yours was the only comment I could find by Googling of someone actually using it. I have the Scosche JBL adapter and it acts a little weird at times, and I have read of some problems with the Metra adapter as well.

For example if I fade to the rear and then change balance to the left or right, the sound level drops off almost to nothing. Changes take several seconds to kick in at times. And it just doesn't seem like the rear speakers are as loud as the front.

I was wondering if the TJA's gain setting helped any or if you experienced similar problems to mine?

Thanks,
Z

Hi Zogg,

I got a weird issue too. After some hours (long trip) it makes some weird sounds and the volume go half way for some several minutes and go to normal again. But I don't know if it is the JTA stuff. Also when we install it I used the dip switches to boost the sound to test it...but it seems to have zero impact on the volume. I installed it in winter at a Kenwood supplier garage...since it is cold and snowy and I don't have any place to check it, I'll wait summer to work on it.

Seems that those little module, yours and mine, are not magical at all like they claimed !! I even call them to know more about the dips switches...because they said to use 3 first one on the 8. I just ask them why you put 8 dip switches and they answer me the module was first designed for an other aplication needing 8 dip swtiches. Anyway, you'll have to wait if you want some news from my setup.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Zogg » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:44 am

Sebas007 wrote:Hi Zogg,

I got a weird issue too. After some hours (long trip) it makes some weird sounds and the volume go half way for some several minutes and go to normal again. But I don't know if it is the JTA stuff. Also when we install it I used the dip switches to boost the sound to test it...but it seems to have zero impact on the volume. I installed it in winter at a Kenwood supplier garage...since it is cold and snowy and I don't have any place to check it, I'll wait summer to work on it.

Seems that those little module, yours and mine, are not magical at all like they claimed !! I even call them to know more about the dips switches...because they said to use 3 first one on the 8. I just ask them why you put 8 dip switches and they answer me the module was first designed for an other aplication needing 8 dip swtiches. Anyway, you'll have to wait if you want some news from my setup.

Thanks for the followup. I also am using a Kenwood deck (X591) although I don't think that matters. I went with Kenwood because of the Dual Zone feature they have, where you can listen to one source up front and another source like a DVD player in the rear. This is in a Sienna, not a Solara unfortunately. :P

I got a Metra JBL bypass cable and connected the speakers directly to the Kenwood yesterday, and it sounded a LOT better. You do lose the center speaker with this setup, but I was very happy with the sound and the Dual Zone worked very well.

I hope you get the kinks worked out of the Peripheral adapter, but I'm going to return the Scosche. There's just something not right about those adapters IMO.

Thanks,
Z
Zogg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Sebas007 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:53 am

Thanks for the hint...what is the part number of your Metra JBL bypass cable ??? I don't know if I will be able to return the JTA unit...it makes more than a month I have it installed...need to read the return politic.

This cable must be not expensive at all. I forgot to say one problem I got with the navigation, caused by the JTA (I guess), is that the navigation voice telling me the way to go is at full volume (100%) but I can barely understand some unaudible sounds ! If the Metra cable solve this I would be very very happy !

Edit : By the way I google it and I found your post on Sienna forum ! ;)
http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.php?s=b39e60a3cfe3d10ffb37c87ad13aec7c&showtopic=18007&pid=139630&st=0&#entry139630

By the way...can you tell me if it is power cable only....no RCA connector isn't it ?? Any pics would be appreciate if you already took them !

Thanks
Last edited by Sebas007 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:01 am

Sebas007 wrote:Thanks for the hint...what is the part number of your Metra JBL bypass cable ??? I don't know if I will be able to return the JTA unit...it makes more than a month I have it installed...need to read the return politic.

This cable must be not expensive at all. I forgot to say one problem I got with the navigation, caused by the JTA (I guess), is that the navigation voice telling me the way to go is at full volume (100%) but I can barely understand some unaudible sounds ! If the Metra cable solve this I would be very very happy !

http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/index.php?s=b39e60a3cfe3d10ffb37c87ad13aec7c&showtopic=18007&pid=139630&st=0&#entry139630

On my unit, there is like 2 settings for the guidence voice. There is one in the user settings of the GPS, but then there is also another one in the input settings on the actual reciever. This also lets you choose what speakers you want it to use (right, left, or center)
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Zogg » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:50 am

Sebas007 wrote:Thanks for the hint...what is the part number of your Metra JBL bypass cable ??? I don't know if I will be able to return the JTA unit...it makes more than a month I have it installed...need to read the return politic.

By the way...can you tell me if it is power cable only....no RCA connector isn't it ?? Any pics would be appreciate if you already took them !

Thanks

You found me!!! LOL

The very small instruction sheet that came with the kit says it works with 2004-06 Solara and other models so hopefully yours is in that range. If not go to metraonline.com and put in your car info, and it will show you a list of items they have. I googled the cable p/n and found it for $27, although some wanted up to $50 for it, so not too bad.

The kit has 2 cables, one for power and one for the speaker wiring. The speaker harness plugs into the existing speaker harness you unplug from the JBL amp, so that now you are bypassing the JBL amp. It has 17 feet of wiring that you route to your stereo. No RCA plugs unfortunately, just bare wires, but my Kenwood came with RCA jacks and wires so I just connected up to the wires. The sub output uses only RCA though so I need to get some connectors from Radio Shack or somewhere.

The power cable is short and plugs into the connector that used to go into your factory radio, where the JTA is connected now. It has only 4 wires for power, ACC, ground, and power for the antenna amp.

I just did a quick "twist the wires and tape them up" test yesterday, but last night I cut the main harness to length and soldered up the wires yesterday inside at the workbench. I'm going to install it all today hopefully. I also read in the Kenwood manual how to turn on/off the subwoofer amp so I hope that it's off and that's why it didn't work.

Regards,
Z
Zogg
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Sebas007 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:10 am

Thanks guys for this info. It appears to be a bit difficult to me to understand all the tech stuff, since I didn't make the connection myself...maybe Sean we could take a look when I'll be in Massachussetts ! Why not ! ;)

By the way I read that the sub-wires need to be cross-over to prevent any damage blablabla...
Last edited by Sebas007 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby [SMAN] » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:27 am

Sebas007 wrote:Thanks guys for this info. It apperas to be a bit difficult to me since I didn't make the connection myself...maybe Sean we could take a look when I'll be in Massachussets ! Why not ! ;)

By the way I read that the sub-wires need to be cross-over to prevent any damage blablabla...

Just get yourself some real amps and speakers and stop complaining :lol:
2004 Solara V6 SE
2005 4Runner V6 Sport
1996 Camry I4
[SMAN]
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sebas007 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:31 am

[SMAN] wrote:
Sebas007 wrote:Thanks guys for this info. It apperas to be a bit difficult to me since I didn't make the connection myself...maybe Sean we could take a look when I'll be in Massachussets ! Why not ! ;)

Just get yourself some real amps and speakers and stop complaining :lol:

You focker !! ;) :P

I just want my setup to be functionnal without any issues. I think it might be possible as Mr. Z told it.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5