[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - current diy project i'm working on (~800x600 pictures)
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

current diy project i'm working on (~800x600 pictures)

current diy project i'm working on (~800x600 pictures)

Postby pianist » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:51 am

just thought i'd pop in and show you all whats new with my install.

when i first installed my headunit into my car i had a couple of monkeys do it for me, in which they slightly modified the center console to make a fitment for the unit...and by fitment i mean cutting an ugly gaping hole in back of the console and taping a cage to the bottom where the head unit was inserted. it was such an eyesore to look at i tell you...

quite some time ago, i went ahead and started this project, but came out in failure as i was using the wrong techniques in constructing this new setup. it was a chipped up fiberglass piece of junk that was poorly aligned and would have taken far more work to complete.

i used the conventional technique of using fleece to wrap over and drowning it in resin...but as the resin started to cure it curled in and looked like crap when it cured.

i attempted this twice more to confirm that it wouldn't work

so as of late, i regreased my elbows and this time used mdf glazed over with resin and grafted the old cage to it. this time it didn't take as long and only one try as i cut it very slowly to ensure that it would look more presentable. even as slow as i did cut it, the mdf was still slightly crooked, but these mistakes weren't as noticeable. i quickly sanded it, and put a crappy truck bed coating over it.

as this picture indicates i got wayyy too impatient with my work and placed it in while the paint was still curing. you can tell by the hard scratches, and chips left on the bottom. this gave me a chance however to work on fitting the brackets in, which wasnt as hard.

so after a couple of days, it became evident that i needed to do something about the scratches....and the hideous paint job i did. i rebondo'ed the whole jig with a high quality filler and took my time with the sanding.

fortunately i was able to sand it so that it made the edges almost perfectly straight.

still anxiously waiting for the flat paint to cure so i can install it back in the 'lara. will post pictures of it installed when the paint's well settled.
pianist
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

pianist - Custom Audio - Gen 2

Postby michaels artic frost » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:08 am

Long time no see bro. Thanks for sharing w/ us your project. I too am working on a custom setup and have had quite a bit of trouble as well. I will post the final results once it's completed.

I must say, you've got quite a bit of determination and for that...I admire your hard work and admiration.

Keep us posted w/ the outcome. I'm sure it will be a great one! :wink:

-Michael 8)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby pianist » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:13 am

thank you, sir

most of this is new territory for me..and i work with very minimal tools, hence the reason why it takes me longer.

may i ask what project you're currently working on as well?
pianist
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby michaels artic frost » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:39 am

pianist wrote:thank you, sir

most of this is new territory for me..and i work with very minimal tools, hence the reason why it takes me longer.

may i ask what project you're currently working on as well?

Something very similiar to yours, but I've got something else in the works as well. I've got part of it completed, but the other part is waiting on an item that I had purchased a while back...they're taking so so long to ship, I'm starting to wonder if I should call my cc company.
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby cRaCkeD oUt » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:59 pm

Hey that's pretty nice... you should make something a little bit more professional looking with the paint job etc.. and sell it online! Like for 40 bux or something
Own yaH! @_@

2005 Toyota Solara SE Sport 5Spd. I4- Artic White
cRaCkeD oUt
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby BradOwens » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:23 pm

nice choice on the headunit. i have the same one
BradOwens
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5