[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Attempting a HIFi car set up let me know wht u thnk sug welc
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Attempting a HIFi car set up let me know wht u thnk sug welc

Attempting a HIFi car set up let me know wht u thnk sug welc

Postby djverne2002 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:49 pm

Well this is the week I begin the upgrade of my Solaras audio system.

Back Speakers- are being disconnected and taken out they mess with the soundstage.

Front midrange tweeters- These little guys are to far away from the midrange driver and there fore sound thin at low listening levels and drastically mess with the imaging so they are also being disconnected and taken out.

Front Door Drivers- Now these drivers are being replaced with these babies

http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ES-630&Category_Code=BRAXIAL

and being powered by this guy

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=436

Now the goal of my new new system is simple

1.Two full range Premium CDT speakers mounted in just the front doors powered by one 2 channel 300 watt JL AUDIO AMP.

2. Either the Pioneer Premier Navigation Head or the Eclipse.

3. ONE 10 or 12 Hi FI grade sub put in a custom desighned TRANSMISSION LINE BOX or one closed factory box powered by a yet to be determined amp.

The results I am hooping to achieve is an acurate, detailed, 2.1 setup. For now my first step will be to disconnect front and back speakers and get the new CDT full range speakers up and running in the doors powered by the JBL amp for now. Im curious though as to whether the door speakers drivers receive the full audio signal or just a low spectrum signal filtered by the amp. If the latter is the case I may have to splurge and and get a new head unit too this week. I''l be picking up the converstion mounting bracket (6 x 9 ADAPTER TO 5.25 / 6 or 6.5 SPEAKER ADAPTER PLATES) and I'm hoping that the install will go ok for the 6.5 version of this speaker here are the factory mounting measurments for this speakers
http://cdtaudio.com/pdf/ES-600.pdf
If any of you guys think that installation will be problematic than I'm more than fine with going to the 5.25 version of this speaker, let me know what you think.
Yes ill be putting lots of sound dampening material in the doors and trunk if anyone has any brands from a paticular site that they are happy with let me know.[/img]
djverne2002
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby MCOjerry » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:52 pm

Why no speakers in the back? I like to hear the sound coming from the back too.
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby aleki2424 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:28 pm

unless you reaaaaally prefer the 2.1, i'd say go for the 5.1, since it seems you are shooting for the full range, couldn't agree more with mcojerry.
otherwise, that's great project man.let us know how it comes along
aleki2424
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby philosophicaljt » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:57 pm

coolio.
Last edited by philosophicaljt on Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Solara SLE V6
Search
philosophicaljt
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bri_n_m » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:51 pm

i dont run rear speakers. i actually like it. the rears were useless to me but i assume my rear passengers don't like it.
bri_n_m
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby blaK » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:52 pm

Back Speakers- are being disconnected and taken out they mess with the soundstage.

Beautiful

100%

I wanted to do that to my car but to do it right I would have to cut into the doors and fire the image right at me and I decided not to.
I put baffles to all my speakers.

The componants your picking I'm not to sure about.
According the spect sheet, they're only 60rms and with a beautiful 300/2v2, you deserve a better set.

Are you sticking to that price range?
I could recommend some if you like.

The 880prs I'm using has time alignment and it's golden. Really helped out with imaging in my car. Take a look at it.

Good luck in your upgrade. Keep us posted :)
WTF WITH ALL THE HUGE SIGS??????
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby djverne2002 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:43 pm

blaK
Awesome, I glad there is another audiophile on this forum. Its hard to explain to these other guys why you do not need rear speakers or a 5.1 setup to get holographic sound. A stereo image on a high quality pair of hi fi speakers will wipe the floor with mostly any 5.1 setup when it comes to imaging but most people have not had the luxury of hearing what there music should and dose sound like on world class components in just the regular stereo format. Great choice on the 880prs, ive been eying that and I am wondering what extra options it has when it comes to imaging and time alignment. The reason I am going with those CDt speakers is that I do alot of audio recording and it seems that in the car Audio deparment CDT is going to best mimic the acuracy, clarity, soundstage, and imaging, of the ATC and PMC monitors I have used at home and in the studio. I also looked at the Dyna Audio components but allways felt there stuff was overpriced for the performance. as far as price range goes that really isn't an issue so I am wondering what great car audio options I haven't considered yet sense i am new to the whole car audio game.
djverne2002
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby PXLpainter » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm going to be carefully watching where you go with this too... in the convertible, the rear speakers are essentially useless as they're down by the armrests so even rear passengers don't hear anything. They're crap. :roll:

Most people "think" they like the rear speakers to fill the cabin with sound, because most manufacturers put pure merde in the front doors and dash and because there's room in the back deck, put the heavy hitters back there and crank up the bottom end... over-compensate with some tinny tweeters up front and people think they've got a class system. LOL!!

Also - most "kids" think that 1000's of watts of power in big bass cabs in the trunk means you've got a killer system. I know - I've seen the way the audio competitions are judged!

I was looking at replacing my OEM speakers with Polk Audio because I love their home/studio gear and figured they'd deliver the fullest sound - especially up front where I need it. I am going to seriously look into your setup though... and obviously replacing the OEM sub with a Polk audio 8" and its own amp.

Keep us updated on your findings... this could be really interesting! :up:
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby blaK » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:14 pm

Cool bro.

Car audio is different but I have to say, the best car audio sound I heard came from a 980bt and Prs components on US amps. OMG OMG OMG Did I say omg enough? lol I can not stress how it's night and day with tube amps. He played a jazz fusion style track and I quiet with amazement. And he cranked it. I told him that's the best system I heard. He told me he insulated the floors and the front doors too.

For Mr.painter :)
In one of the showrooms I used to work at, I had the Polks SR6500 on a 300/2 and I could not believe the hard hitting mid base coming out of these things. If you wanna be loud pick these, but for all types of music? It wasn't flat enough for me.
Do not pick there Momo's, PLEASE.

djverne2002
What style or range of musik you listen to?
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:45 pm

Ive heard good things about the CDT set.

but if you want good detailed and accurate just as I am,
you will need to cut the panel and get rid of the grille on
that door. its responsible for a big mess in the 400-900Hz
area. ive RTA'd the car already.

as for the 300/4, nice amp definately but more headroom
is better than less.

lastly.. a 10/12 in a TRANSMISSION line box? good luck with
that one. I made a Focal 5kv? in a tran box and that was about
took most of the width in the trunk. I'd go ported if you dont want
trunk or sealed if you do.

Just so I dont seem like a goober of a critic, Here's what I got...
Alpine IVA-W205
KCE-300BT *bluetooth module
KCE-422I (iPOD full speed)
HD Radio
Sirius
Dynaudio 362 ( triamped)
PXA-H701
PDX-1.1000 1kW rms
2X PDX-4.150 4x150 rms
SWR-1242D subwoofer
CHA-S624 cd changer

whole lotta deadening and a new alt soon.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby djverne2002 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:03 am

Blak I listen to alot of jazz, classical, house, and ambient electronic music. I am aware of this problem with the greedy grille on the door panels. Iv'e been looking at the size of the tinny holes that form what you might call a grill (barely). I think I may first try just thicken out each whole with a small tap seeing that there is a big chunk off excess plastic (yea this will take a long time) If any one has a picture of how they modified the door panels I'd love to take a look so I can get a couple ideas and maybe fabricate something (im still hesitant about doing these modifications on a car seeing that this would be my first time.)

Aotoyota, I see that you have the Dynaudio 362 components. How the heck did you set this up and is the imaging as good has the home audio stuff. My mother drove an S80 volvo for a while that had the dynaAudio car components in it and she use to rave about how it was the most magical listening experience she ever had. She would go for an hour drive just to listen to music. I'm thinking based on what I read that I can get the same performance from the CDT components for half the price, $680 vs $1400 (I may be wrong on the dyno numbers)

The sub will be my last step and yea a transmission line design may take up to much space.

Finally what type and from what site are you guys getting your sound dampening material from. I'm sure there has got to be at least one vendor on ebay selling it in bulk price I just have yet to do that research.
djverne2002
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Aotoyota » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:20 am

dj...

I have the 362 almost completed... but the 8 in the door,3' in the kick and the tweet in the A pillar. when I put the tweets in the kick stage height suffers or rainbows as it use to do. PLDs are important but with a two way, unless you put that mid in the kick, theres not much else you can do...

Ive never ran anything other than dynaudio in my cars, and can tell you those are some of the best components period. Not sure what those CDT'w are capable of, but experiment with tweet placement. the solara stages really weird and when I put the tweet in the pillar, everything got wide and stable. other secret to my system is that i havent cut the panel because I am triamping... the 8 is from 50hz-400hz then 400-4k and 4k+ on the tweet. with this config i avoid the nasty stuff from the grille

hope this helps...
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby blaK » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:49 pm

djverne2002

Did you come up with anything? :)
blaK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver