[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - TSB for Radio Reception Fix
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

TSB for Radio Reception Fix

TSB for Radio Reception Fix

Postby theprodigy79 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:55 am

I know this is in the TSB posts in the Gen Talk section.. but it blends in, and the people posting in this section are more than likely the ones who this is most relevant to (the ones who actually give a damn about what their music sounds like). I just posted this as a response to a poor reception concern, and I figured I'd carry it over to it's own A/V post.

One tip on the radio reception for you and all our other '04 brothers and sisters out there... I had noticed that my reception dropped when I installed my aftermarket headunit (it was never spectacular to start with)... There was actually a TSB posted to correct this... I went ahead and did it myself cuz it's a simple fix (and it only took me 2 min to do rather than having to schedule a BS appt at the dealer). Check out the link below:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/10775 ... index.html

It turns out that on the first few production runs of the 2004 Solara they reversed the wires going into the antenna amplifier... Smart people... But yeah, just take off your rear passenger side C-pillar cover and you'll see the antenna amplifier and the suspect connecter... all you need is one small, flat blade screwdriver and you're set (no cutting, crimping, etc... needed) Make sure the wires match the diagram in the TSB, pop the C-pillar cover back on and you're done!

It doesn't matter if you have an aftermarket or factory headunit, this solves a lot of crap either way. This is only applicable to early '04 models, so those with '05s and up shouldn't even worry.
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DaOnoKine » Tue May 16, 2006 2:17 pm

I replaced my HU on Sat and experienced this problem. How did you remove this piece, was it difficult? If this is not the problem, could it be a bad ground?
Black 2005 SE Sport 4cyl 5spd manual
--------------------------------------------
Tein SS Damper System
Injen Intake
DaOnoKine
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Tue May 16, 2006 3:18 pm

This TSB was only applicable to early production 2004 models.

Explain what problem you're having and I'm sure we'll be able to help you out.
'04 Solara SE Sport V6, all TRD + CP-e, gone but not forgotten... '09 G37S Sedan and '88 Supra Turbo project
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DaOnoKine » Tue May 16, 2006 4:35 pm

I was able to recieve radio stations normally with the stock HU, signal strength varied depending on location (kinda like yours, kool but nothing special). However, when I installed my after market HU (Pioneer deh-680mp), I do not receive the same amount of stations and signal strength is really awful no matter where I drive. I purchased my 05 vehicle in late 04, so maybe my car was still in the "bad" batch. I want to check the connection mentioned in the TSB and was wondering how difficult it is to remove the c-pillar cover. If the TSB is not the answer to this issue, would having a better ground improve signal strength?
Tein SS Damper System
Injen Intake
DaOnoKine
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Tue May 16, 2006 6:17 pm

Removing the cover is very easy, it literally pulls off. Just be gentle, pull outward on the rear passenger side pillar and it should come right off. The antenna amplifier is around a foot up from the base (the rear console).

As far as grounding goes... Did you add any amplifiers, or are you running your new HU as a direct swap with your old one? If it's a direct swap, and you connected all of the wires in the harness properly, there really shouldn't be any additional grounding necessary (as the wire harness contains all of the grounds). It may also be possible that your antenna connection isn't secure...

How do CDs sound?

Check it out and let me know. Good luck!

-James
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Thu May 18, 2006 4:59 am

Glad it worked; at least you don't have a Gen1... You'd have to gut the whole backside to get to it.
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DaOnoKine » Wed May 24, 2006 11:13 pm

Fixed it! Radio reception is back. I had to connect the remote wire from the HU to the power antenna wire on the harness to resolve this issue (blue wire to blue wire). I assumed that the blue wire from the hu was only for the remote connection to an amp and did not connect it. I did check the antenna connection in the C pillar, which was OK. Much mahalos to James for the help on the c pillar cover and making sure that I connected everything correctly.
Tein SS Damper System
Injen Intake
DaOnoKine
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby theprodigy79 » Thu May 25, 2006 6:44 am

Good deal bro, glad to hear you got everything straight!
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby xodessitx » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:06 am

how do you remove the 2 wires? i tried and they just wont come off, can anyone please help me.
thank you
2004 solara
se sport v6
lunar mist
getting tints probably 20% all around
more coming soon.....
xodessitx
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby iinokturnolii » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:32 am

yo james.... i have the same problem in my 2006... i wonder if its the same fix? cause when i swap to the new HU the reception got terrible... i was thinking it was the new HU... cause when i had the stock deck in it was fine...
iinokturnolii
Exotic Herb Sampler
Exotic Herb Sampler

Postby theprodigy79 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:58 am

This TSB is only for '04 models, it was corrected later on. Check your antenna connection and make sure it's secured properly...

What kinda headunit did you put in?
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby iinokturnolii » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:21 pm

theprodigy79 wrote:This TSB is only for '04 models, it was corrected later on. Check your antenna connection and make sure it's secured properly...

What kinda headunit did you put in?

Pioneer DEH-P6800MP... whenever i checked everything... still no good. maybe it's the HU? cause my friend use to have a pioneer HU (2 year old model) and he had poor reception with it. i wonder if thats the problem...
iinokturnolii
Exotic Herb Sampler
Exotic Herb Sampler

Postby xodessitx » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:02 pm

can someone please tell me how to remove the 2 wires from the socket thank you
2004 solara
se sport v6
lunar mist
more coming soon.....
xodessitx
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby xodessitx » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:26 am

can someone please tell me how to disconect the 2 wires, i cant pull them out of the socket
2004 solara
se sport v6
lunar mist
more coming soon.....
xodessitx
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby theprodigy79 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:59 am

You have to unlock the harness by sliding the pin in the middle out (you will see a slot on the bottom of the harness, use a small flat blade screwdriver or the like and push the notch forward), then you just squeeze the clips on the ends of the wires and gently pull them out.

When you push the wires back into the harness, they will click back in... once they do, just slide the harness lock back down.

Let me know if you need any further help.

-James
theprodigy79
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5