[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Blown motor!
Ever have a bad experience? Well here's the place to discuss things.

Blown motor!

Blown motor!

Postby Kalmado » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:37 am

After searching for a pearl white Solara with leather and moonroof for around a year, I finally came across one and bought it! Happily drove my Solara for about a year and a half. During that time, my second oil change, which was done at a Belle Tire(I know), brought out the service adviser trying to sell me the kitchen sink. He reported with the kitchen sink, my car did not have an ounce of oil in it, which caused me to :o ! I had never heard a knock sound or noticed anything out of the norm while driving the car. I asked them to inspect it and they said they found nothing.

Next oil change I take it to a reputable tech in my town and they too can't find a leak or burning or anything. About a month later, the engine had enough. My tech reported cylinder #2 having only about 40psi. Said the only thing to do was replace the motor, which is being done right now.

Only thing I could find about this problem was some things on the interwebz and this: http://www.autosafety.org/toyota-deal-h ... ge-judge-0

Toyota would not cover any of the repair cost so I'm eating about $2600 which sucks, but I love that car!

My tech that's replacing the motor has run into an issue with a clamp. Now, bear with me here because I'm not a tech and don't know much if anything mechanically with autos. He said this clamp holds the motor and ifs seized. They are afraid of braking it because it looks to be one of a kind and they don't think they can get a replacement from Toyota. They said it's just taking longer because of them being fragile with it.

Does that sound reasonable to anyone or has anyone heard of anything similar? Thanks for reading!
Kalmado
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Blown motor!

Postby 1gSE » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Sounds like a motor mount. I'm guessing the engine isn't out yet right? You can't them all over ebay
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Kalmado » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:15 pm

They said it's either right next to a motor mount or in between it. The reason it's seized they estimate is because it's rusted/corroded which would come about from 10 years of Michigan winters and road salt. Either way, I have to wait to get it back. I'm just so eager!
Kalmado
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Kalmado » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Two weeks later and my car is in the same spot as before. :( They got the clamp removed, but now claim the transaxle is rusted and they are having a hard time removing it. My wife and I are pretty sure my car keeps getting pushed aside for other cars with quick fixes and what not. Either way, we're getting hosed. I just want my car! :crazyeyes:
Kalmado
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:55 pm

have it towed, take it somewhere else
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Horrible Dealer/Service Rants