[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Why I should change my oil myself
Ever have a bad experience? Well here's the place to discuss things.

Why I should change my oil myself

Why I should change my oil myself

Postby crimson blades » Fri May 20, 2005 6:57 pm

The car needed an oil change and the dealer I bought it from has $9.95 oil changes. I should have known better because every time they worked on my car for something else they screwed it up, but they are open on Saturday's so I thought I would give them another chance. I had them change the oil on April 9th, the car only had 9K miles on it. I'm getting ready to go on vacation so I'm checking the car to make sure everythings good and when I check the oil, it has too much in it. I go back to the dealer and ask them if its bad to have too much oil in it and they ask how much, its about 3/4" over the full mark on the dipstick. They then start telling my how bad it is for the car, could blow a ring etc. etc. Thats when I tell them they did it a month ago when I brought it in and I have put about 1K miles on it since they did this. They get in in right away, drain it, and tell me it had about 1/2 quart too much in it. Now they tell me that it can't really hurt the car. A completely different tune when they realized it was there mistake. When I talked to the service manager about it he said that theres nothing wrong with my car and if something goes wrong with it after warrenty is up, I will have to file a claim then, using the paperwork from this service. God I love it when the don't care one bit about the work they do. So I know have a 05 with 10K miles on it and have to wonder if anythings wrong with the motor for the rest of my lease. I guess the only good thins is it's a lease and I can give it back to Toyota after its over.

The moral of the story for me is, never let anyone else change your oil and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
When in doubt gas it out, brakes just slow you down.
crimson blades
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SPF 0 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:04 pm

I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that <i>moderate</i> overfilling of the oil wouldn't lead to much more than cranking losses (as the crankshaft sloughs through the extra oil).

I don't understand how overfilling the oil could "blow" a ring.
'05 Black Solara Convertible SLE, Gold Pinstriping, red calipers, lower grille, OBX pedals, Solara door sills, and OEM splash guards.
SPF 0
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby SleeperSolara » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:11 pm

Yeah i change my ow oil cause it cheaper.
And i know nothin' could be wrong if i do it myself.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Solarafreek » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:12 pm

Im not a mechanic but I would think running an engine with too much oil would put a lot more stress on gaskets. If your engine has a specific amount of oil recommended, all the xtra oil would find somewhere else to go, like blowing through a gasket. Just a thought
Solarafreek
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Solarafreek » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:47 pm

SleeperSolara wrote:Yeah i change my ow oil cause it cheaper.
And i know nothin' could be wrong if i do it myself.

What is the tool used to take off the oil plug?
Solarafreek
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:03 pm

Not a great plug to do your own oil changes. IMO, you should always check the oil levels (after an oil change). You should have checked it when you took the car from the service bay. I agree some tech's are not machines and do make mistakes...but still it took you 1000 miles to realise this. May be its me and i check my levels at every other gas-fillup, but still wanted to emphasis that yes they made a mistake. At least they are man enought to advise you accordingly (if file a claim after your warrant expires if you so feel necessary). IMO, this thread is a waste of bandwidth!
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby dondang » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:00 am

Is it okey to use synthetic oil on 2005 solara with 5k miles?
dondang
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:45 am

^^ it is alright. But i'd personally rather wait till its close to 8-9K before switching to syn
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby Mole » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:18 pm

imho, i would not bother with synthetic... i find that dino oil has come a long distance since 10 years ago.

but then its a matter of one own's preference.

i waited till 20k.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby StockSolara » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:02 am

dondang wrote:Is it okey to use synthetic oil on 2005 solara with 5k miles?

I believe Mobil 1 suggested after the first 10k than you should start using synthetic so the engine is completely broken in right
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6
2000 Lexus GS400
StockSolara
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby xSolarax » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:16 am

I was told by a few mechanics that synthetic oil should be used in the early stages of engine break in.... once your car has tens of thousands of miles on it, its basically pointless to spend the extra money and switch over. Jiffy lubes will say it benefits because they are making money off of it. Basically if your going to use syn oil, use it from the beginning.
Gen 1 TRD Lip Kit, TRD RSB, TRD Struts, Tein S-tech, CP-E, CC, Kicker Comp

-->>PART OUT DECEMBER 10, 2008<<--
xSolarax
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Overfilling Oil - drain out the excess!

Postby marc780 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:09 pm

Im not a mechanic but I would think running an engine with too much oil would put a lot more stress on gaskets.

Yes overfilling is bad for the engine, just a little bit over, like a half pint is tolerable til the next change. But more than that like 3/4" on the dipstick! is way too much.
Overfilling can cause gaskets to blow out, and worse it can also splash up from the pan and onto the lower oil control rings and load them up. Then this oil gets baked on, and this can make the rings stick and cause you to use oil.
AND with the crankshaft whipping around in all that oil, it can cause air bubbles and oil aeration and possibly a loss of lubrication. All this from an extra qt of oil! So drain out the excess.
; )
marc780
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Shoe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:28 pm

I always thought they called it an oil CHANGE because you were changing the oil. meaning bye bye old hello new, sounds like the authors dealership just fills up on oil.

shoe
Shoe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Somedude » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:53 pm

I don't understand why people actually pay other people to get their car's engine oil changed. Everybody should know how to do it, it is a waste of money to let people who aren't careful of other people's car change their oil. I did it myself, it is easy.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity,
but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power". -Abraham Lincoln
Somedude
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby MCOjerry » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:01 pm

Somedude wrote:I don't understand why people actually pay other people to get their car's engine oil changed. Everybody should know how to do it, it is a waste of money to let people who aren't careful of other people's car change their oil. I did it myself, it is easy.

Because some people don't want the bother of doing it themselves.
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Next

Return to Horrible Dealer/Service Rants