[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - ideas on tint
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

ideas on tint

ideas on tint

Postby invdrgir » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:48 pm

hey everyone,
well i've been deciding on getting a tint for my car but i'm sort of stuck between two different tint options for my solara. the first option is a standard tint (gray/black) with little reflection. the second option would be a more reflcetive tint. the color of my car is the lunar mist (silver) and though at one tint place they had pictures showing the differences between the two types, its different from seeing it in person.

another thing is that this is my first time getting a tint done for a car so another question i'm asking is if 50% is darker on a reflcetive or on the non/less reflective tint? this is because i live in VA and the laws for tints are 50 in the front and 38 in the back :cry: . i'm gonna try and look around for places that will go 38 all around (which is what i prefer) but the place i went to today said they could only do 50 in the front.

haha and the third question i have is would an uniform tint (either 38 if i can find a place or i'll probibly just go 50 all around) or varied tint look better? this is because i'll probibly again just go for a uniform tint for my car but if the variation looks better some people have noticed or seen i may take that into consideration. also if anyone is from around the Northern VA area and knows of any good places that can do darker tints let me know. again any ideas or input would greatly help me out.
invdrgir
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby thealkimo » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:37 am

i say keep it even on the sides, even if that means bumping it up to 50% to keep it legal...and since it's 50%, i think that it wouldn't be dark enough for the full reflective tint to look right, so i'd go with the normal dark tint...imo
thealkimo
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Jewls » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:59 am

I live in VA as well, and our tint laws SUCK!!!! I am going to wait until Oct. when I move to Florida and get ut of this $hithole to tint my windows. If you find someone to do the tint for you all around 38, good luck keeping it. Not only will you get a ticket, you will have to remove it, and there goes $150+ down the toilet. I hate to say it, but stick to what's legal, or you will pay for it later. I think the 50 front and 38 rear actually looks pretty good.

PS-Lunar mist metallic, you said it's silver, isn't that the light blue??? They tried to sell me one and I could've sworn it was blue??? I could be wrong.
2005 Mustang GT Premium
2004 SE Black-SOLD
Pioneer MP3/XM radio/speakers,K&N filters,TRD RSB,Cargo Net,OEM Mud Guards,sport pedals, blue interior lighting,TRD oil cap,20% tint
Jewls
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cklinh » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:32 am

I think you're thinking about the Cosmic Blue Metallic.

And I was thinking of tinting too... but stupid California laws require 70% in front.
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:16 am

I'd say fu*k uniformity..go for the darkest legal. If the front window's can't be darm enough..at let them small tringular rear's be darker. If you think you'll be reg plain jane vanilla solara..then stick with non reflective tint. If you like the bling bling..and or if you will mod it more i'd say have one with two colors...reflective on the top..and dark on the lower half (like two tone tinining..that flows..and is not a cut off). Seen at at the audi forms...looks amazing.
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby rohand » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:34 am

I've had two-tone tinting on my other cars before and you what? It actually looks pretty cool, so i say go with 50 in the front and 38 in the back. Going 38 all around isn't worth the ticket you can get. From what I've heard, cops can now pull you over just for a tint violation as opposed to before where it was a secondary, non-moving violation.
rohand
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby invdrgir » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:48 pm

thanks for all the input guys. it seems that the calls have been for a two tone tint. the quesiton though i have is wouldn't a 50 reflective tint in the front and 38 nonreflective in the back create a contrast and not be smooth? or since the tint in the back is darker, it will compensate and create a more flowing mesh of the two tone tint? also which really is darker, the reflective or the non reflective or are they too different to be really compared together.

again thanks for all the input and suggestions. i definately will take them into regard. :D
invdrgir
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:46 pm

invdrgir wrote:it seems that the calls have been for a two tone tint. the quesiton though i have is wouldn't a 50 reflective tint in the front and 38 nonreflective in the back create a contrast and not be smooth?

You are correct...go for the shade that is the darkest legal on the drivers window for the rears as well....(if your going two tone). Post pics post tinting of the twotone tint...
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby ICrazyChrisI » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:55 pm

cklinh wrote:I think you're thinking about the Cosmic Blue Metallic.

And I was thinking of tinting too... but stupid California laws require 70% in front.

No tint is allowed in the front to my knowledge..
ICrazyChrisI
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby invdrgir » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:37 pm

thanks for all the info guys,
i'll probibly decide by the end of this week but once i get everything done i'll try to get picutres online for all to see

again thanks for the info and ideas.

oh for the front i think it was to mean the driver side and passenger side windows. not the actual front windshield, which i think nationally your not allowed to tint.. though i could be wrong on that.. all i know is that in VA
your not allowed to touch it at all
invdrgir
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby dirtybird_1 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:47 am

just got my tint done yeaterday. it took a couple weeks to find a shop who would tint my whole vehicle at 85%, which is pretty dark. all it took was a little more cash, and the guy gave me a three year warranty on all defects. but there was no bill of sale and i lost out on the maufacture's warrantywhich was three years but scince it was so dark the company would not have covered it anyways. i got my whole car done for $150. and it looks great with my lunar white. but there was no way i was going to get legal tint in Fl, cause its barely enough to keep the car cool. i will get some pics up soon.
2004 Solara SE Arctic Frost
15% tint
Polk Audio DB212 12" subs x2
Kicker KX600.1 Amp
Infinity refrence 6x9 all around
Colgan Custom Bra
http://photobucket.com/albums/b82/mikeflaman
dirtybird_1
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Astro » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:21 am

invdrgir wrote:all i know is that in VA
your not allowed to touch it at all

In Cali, you can't go below the layer of tint that already on the windshield. I've got mine a few inches below. I'm guessing most installers out here will just do it, I've had 3 cars done at different shops and they all ran it a few inches below. It's much better, the sun doesn't get in my eyes as easy.

Larry
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5