[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Anyone buy an aftermarket dash kit yet? If not, take a look.
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

Anyone buy an aftermarket dash kit yet? If not, take a look.

Anyone buy an aftermarket dash kit yet? If not, take a look.

Postby mattyboyl » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:30 am

I have looked at a few sites and I have bought from NYCdashes.com before and was pleased. They have a kit that will be OEM with many more pieces to cover the entire center console, door handles, armrest with lock and window controls and more. I would want the combination of the basic kit with extra pieces 33 and 34. Take a look: http://www.nycdashes.com/cart/customer/ ... 750&page=1

http://www.nycdashes.com/cart/customer/ ... 750&page=1

If anyone is curious how a wood kit from NYC looks in a 3000GT, you'll be surpirsed. Just click on Readers Rides and look on page 5. I am the Matthew Lerlo on the page. Enjoy: http://www.3kgt.com/ie2.htm
mattyboyl
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DocJohn » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:14 am

These kits look pretty nice.
I never installed one of these before. Are they just applied over the existing trim with double-sided tape or something?

NEVER MIND, I just read that "All our dash kits have 3M adhesive foam tape backing." :o
<B>2004 Solara SLE V6 with mods (sold 10/10/06)
DocJohn
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby cklinh » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:33 am

hm... looks like they have a kit just to cover up the factory trim... might be interested in that to cover up the RED wood trim in my SLE...
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby michaels artic frost » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:50 am

My uncle put the wood dash trim kit in his Tacoma and it looks okay. Not my thing, I just think all those pieces takes over the entire car and it takes away from everything else on the interior.

However good find though. I'm glad to see that Developers have been working...haha. :D
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby slingshot » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:30 am

I agree that too many pieces take away from the great interior and are too ostentatious. But they have an option kit that just has the pieces that the stock car has which is a very tempting option. In effect you can put for example real brushed aluminum trim on top of all the existing red wood pieces for only $119.60. I'm interested to how it looks and if the adhesive isn't affected by the high heat inside cars. Wouldn't want it peeling up!
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby boaclub923 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:28 pm

i had it on my old accord b4.
it won't peel off under high heat. it came with 3M double side tape. all u need to do is stick it on fash. no drilling or modify anything. it's pretty simple and easy to do. the problem was i had "Brushed Aluminum" kit. it look nice on demo and picuters, but it looks cheap when i put it in my car because it looks like PLASTIC. i think carbon-fiber style, that my frnd had it b4, is much better. it's removable, but then the process is very HARD and danger. the 3M sticker is too strong and it took me hours to take it off with my HANDS, since i do not want to use any tool that could possible damage factory dash. the most bad thing about the kit is there is gap between dash. I will try to find my old pics that I took and post it here. I’m not sure I still have those old pix or not, and there is no way for me to take that kit’s pix anymore. I sold my accord already; solara is better~
boaclub923
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:32 pm

They have a brushed aluminum kit and a "real" brushed aluminum kit for more money. Perhaps you had the cheap brushed aluminum looking kit? If the real aluminum is real it sure can't look like cheap plastic. That's why I was considering it.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:45 pm

I have those on my camry (dealer installed them when we purchased it). After 7 years, only the a/c vents (center) looks a bid off, the rest still look like the day they were installed. I'd recommend REAL burlwood over wood imitation tho 9its like 75 bucks more and it looks more sweeter in person.
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby slingshot » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:50 pm

Jai wrote:I have those on my camry (dealer installed them when we purchased it). After 7 years, only the a/c vents (center) looks a bid off, the rest still look like the day they were installed. I'd recommend REAL burlwood over wood imitation tho 9its like 75 bucks more and it looks more sweeter in person.

The only real choice on that website is the real brushed aluminum choice. All of the wood choices are synthetic wood. If you know a website that has real burlwood inserts, please let us know. By the way, what exact choice did you get on your Camry if you used this site?
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby JadedEMOlush » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:58 pm

I would definatley go for the aftermarket kit and be the "tester".

Do you guys really think that the REAL brushed aluminum will look the best? Will it clash with the other crome already in the car.

I bought a kit very similar for my old car... my 2003 Corolla S Take a look. Recieved a thumbs up from everone.

JadedEMOlush
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby slingshot » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:26 pm

JadedEMOlush wrote:I would definatley go for the aftermarket kit and be the "tester".

Do you guys really think that the REAL brushed aluminum will look the best? Will it clash with the other crome already in the car.

I do think that it might clash with the silver center dash. Problem is they don't have anything that wouldn't clash so you'd be forced to get a large kit that would have pieces that would go over the center dash pieces but you wouldn't necessarily want all the other pieces. Guess you could just use what you want to use and throw out the rest. Real brushed aluminum over the present wood pieces and present silver colored plastic might look very good.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby boaclub923 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:33 am

JadedEMOlush wrote:I would definatley go for the aftermarket kit and be the "tester".

I bought a kit very similar for my old car... my 2003 Corolla S Take a look. Recieved a thumbs up from everone.

OH MY GOD! where did u get that kits from? it looks so nice on ur car. the gap is SO SO SO small. why it looks so crapy on my old accord? -_-;;
man, i'm jealous.. -_-;;

I customized my own dash on my new solara. i change all the wood trim into white. it looks really nice, and i like it alot. i cover it with sticker, so i can remove it back to facotry looking easily.
boaclub923
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:07 am

slingshot wrote:By the way, what exact choice did you get on your Camry if you used this site?

Not this site..i went to toyota dealership....they had OEM and aftermarket. The latter was cheaper (and looked better than OEM). In time, i'm sure real wood (not wood simulations) will be out.
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby mattyboyl » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:48 am

Try exoticwooddash.com, they should have real wood kits for our car.
mattyboyl
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5