[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - ***Gen 2 V6 - JPP Headers & Y Pipe - HISTORY & INFO
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

***Gen 2 V6 - JPP Headers & Y Pipe - HISTORY & INFO

Postby Down2TheC » Fri May 04, 2007 10:35 am

If you end up going custom and the performance boost is there, I'll pay for a copy even if it's a big ticket. I know there's a big potential boost in that ypipe.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Sebas007 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:55 pm

I may do the samething depending on the gains.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby crispone » Sat May 05, 2007 5:11 pm

Despite numerous OTHER projects that are all underway... and cost "HITS" that I'll be taking that I can never plan for...

I'M IN FOR THE PIPE!

...just for the record...

ONE way or another... I expect I will EVENTUALLY have a header/mid modification on my gen 2...

I'd be grateful for it to be the JPP pipes.

Count me in... again... still...

So... who's working on an improved "converter/valve-body" for the tranny? Can we get a Throttle Body job going, as well? HOW ABOUT A TURBO!!!???

...heh heh heh...

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Re: Question

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Sat May 05, 2007 7:06 pm

PXLpainter wrote:
JMSinMaryland wrote:What makes you think the Gen 1 headers were for S/C only? I never heard anything like that and I've been around since they first came out. Maybe you're mistaken? If the y-pipe needs to be redeveloped maybe they'll accept a lower number in the GB?

Because the guy who made them told me - and showed me just how that affects the fit - as well as the flow/length of the pipe.

What fit?
When I bought my headers they never said anything about the headers and y-pipe being for S/C purposes only. The only thing they did say was the 3" cat-back was for S/C purposes only. They recommended the 2 1/2" cat-back for non S/C.
Got Boost?? :sweet:
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Down2TheC » Sat May 05, 2007 7:19 pm

crispone wrote:So... who's working on an improved "converter/valve-body" for the tranny?

cp-e was going to before they saw the intake support trickle in. They were planning and actually did some R&D on my car toward a shift kit. (two yrs ago) I really wish they would have finished that. We lose so much power to the granny tranny.
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Mon May 07, 2007 8:40 am

Down2TheC wrote:
crispone wrote:So... who's working on an improved "converter/valve-body" for the tranny?

cp-e was going to before they saw the intake support trickle in. They were planning and actually did some R&D on my car toward a shift kit. (two yrs ago) I really wish they would have finished that. We lose so much power to the granny tranny.

Exactly! I sure wish I knew someone who could do that too - would go for that in a HEARTBEAT - especially with the anemic LAG issues the Gen 2 has! :roll:
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Down2TheC » Mon May 07, 2007 9:44 am

Josh said she drove like a friggin' monster with the stall speed dropped and a machined Altima TC in there. All they had left was to figure out the electronics so the ECU wouldn't cry foul.

So sad what might have been...
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Mon May 07, 2007 12:18 pm

Down2TheC wrote:Josh said she drove like a friggin' monster with the stall speed dropped and a machined Altima TC in there. All they had left was to figure out the electronics so the ECU wouldn't cry foul.

Any way you think we could convince them to consider going through with it? Screw GBs - what would it cost for a one-off?
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby crispone » Mon May 07, 2007 12:33 pm

PXLpainter wrote:
Down2TheC wrote:Josh said she drove like a friggin' monster with the stall speed dropped and a machined Altima TC in there. All they had left was to figure out the electronics so the ECU wouldn't cry foul.

Any way you think we could convince them to consider going through with it? Screw GBs - what would it cost for a one-off?

X2

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Down2TheC » Mon May 07, 2007 3:04 pm

X3...I'll just say it wouldn't be cheap. With their other shift kits they have to buy a swap part to alter, then send it to the guy buying, get his stock one back, then repeat. So you have a one time overhead.

That scheme works for stage one.
Stage one will include valve body and solenoid modifications that free up horse power and lower heat levels. You can expect increased durability and load capacity along with shorter more positive shifts. Short positive shifts free up horse power and parasitic loss. The ability to decrease friction allows for lower heat transfer, increased durability, and increased load capacity.

But not for Stage Two
Stage two will include a torque converter machined to custom specs provided by the customer. For the street CPE recommends a converter with a 3,000 RPM stall speed. With stage one and two installed one could spray Nitrous Oxide without any worries of transmission problems.

Our TC is cast so they have to swap it with an Altima TC which is machined.

That's as far as they got with my proto. Add in the electrical R&D and it's a pretty big investment for them to do for 3 sales. I notice they haven't made any other shift kits since 2 yrs ago when they put out the Mazda.

To my understanding, I think any transmission wiz should be able to do Stage One for you though. The solenoid valve tweaks didn't cause the ECU fuss. This would bring you shorter more solid shifts but not change WHEN the shift happens. (which is Jeff's major issue.) So you might want to check around locally.
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby crispone » Mon May 07, 2007 6:59 pm

Down2TheC wrote:X3...I'll just say it wouldn't be cheap. With their other shift kits they have to buy a swap part to alter, then send it to the guy buying, get his stock one back, then repeat. So you have a one time overhead.

That scheme works for stage one.
Stage one will include valve body and solenoid modifications that free up horse power and lower heat levels. You can expect increased durability and load capacity along with shorter more positive shifts. Short positive shifts free up horse power and parasitic loss. The ability to decrease friction allows for lower heat transfer, increased durability, and increased load capacity.

But not for Stage Two
Stage two will include a torque converter machined to custom specs provided by the customer. For the street CPE recommends a converter with a 3,000 RPM stall speed. With stage one and two installed one could spray Nitrous Oxide without any worries of transmission problems.

Our TC is cast so they have to swap it with an Altima TC which is machined.

That's as far as they got with my proto. Add in the electrical R&D and it's a pretty big investment for them to do for 3 sales. I notice they haven't made any other shift kits since 2 yrs ago when they put out the Mazda.

To my understanding, I think any transmission wiz should be able to do Stage One for you though. The solenoid valve tweaks didn't cause the ECU fuss. This would bring you shorter more solid shifts but not change WHEN the shift happens. (which is Jeff's major issue.) So you might want to check around locally.

I'M SALIVATING OVER THIS TOPIC!!! (It'll keep the header thread up there as well... 8) )

We GOTTA get a TRANNY thing figured out with these gen 2's! I remember how incredible my Supra Turbo (350-380 back then...) slammed through a full HKS built automatic with the Art Carr converter! It was the most impressive automatic I ever drove. (Converted to a 5 speed one day... but I STILL HAVE the tranny and converter laying around under something in the garage! Oh, and the car WAS set up for 2x 10 lbs bottles of NOS... but I didn't use it. :o )

A TRANNY mod to our cars will be MUCH BETTER as a performance enhancement than 25HP bump from some other means.... THEN AFTER the tranny gains, adding those HP or more numbers... SHAZAAAAAM!!! Our humble little Solaras would be formidable little "players" in the coupe realm... and truly rewarding cars!

Who's got some time and contacts to tweak this box?

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby PXLpainter » Tue May 15, 2007 11:30 pm

Well gang (those of you who are still into this) - Wed is the day I take my ride into JP's shop where it will undergo rigorous fitting and testing while I'm away to Chicago/Michigan.

I'll post results when I return... wish us luck!!! :up: :D
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby crispone » Wed May 16, 2007 4:08 am

PXLpainter wrote:Well gang (those of you who are still into this) - Wed is the day I take my ride into JP's shop where it will undergo rigorous fitting and testing while I'm away to Chicago/Michigan.

I'll post results when I return... wish us luck!!! :up: :D

JUST WAITING for the WORD!

Where you at in MI this round? Business or pleasure?

(We need another meet with those of us around the OH/MI/IN/KY area sometime...)

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Sebas007 » Wed May 16, 2007 4:34 am

Hurry to hear from you..fitting and especially different dyno results !
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Wed May 23, 2007 7:20 pm

Update -

I'm still out of town but heard from JP today. He said he was able to bolt up the headers from the Gen 1/SC model that he made and it does NOT FIT! Sure, it bolts on okay but since the 3MZ sits a bit differently in the subframe of the Gen 2 the headers need to be routed a bit differently. He said he's making a new mockup and will send me pics when he's got them ready. I'll be sure to post once they're in my hands.
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5