[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - S-afc install...
This forum has frequently asked questions and stickies from all the Solara forums. Look here first to see if your question is answered or if the information you are looking for has already been posted.

S-afc install...

S-afc install...

Postby SC V6 » Wed May 21, 2003 11:25 am

I searched for this, and found the pictures at imageistation or w\e... but my manuals are in a different language... what do I do??
SC V6
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby happy_aggies » Wed May 21, 2003 11:36 am

You can find english manual at Apexi website.

S-AFC II is the same wiring w/ S-AFC I except the additional purple wire for knock sensor. If you compare both manuals, it's pretty obvious which one is that.
'99 Autumn Red Solara SE Auto S/C 1MZ-FE w/ JIC Exhaust
http://www.cardomain.com/id/happy_aggies
happy_aggies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SC V6 » Wed May 21, 2003 11:39 am

I bought the S-afc II... it jsut has an extra purple wire? At the USA apexi web page?
SC V6

Postby happy_aggies » Wed May 21, 2003 12:19 pm

Yup, just the extra purple wire.

Here is the link for the doc/manual.
http://www.apexi-usa.com/documentation.asp
happy_aggies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SC V6 » Wed May 21, 2003 1:53 pm

I called around to see who would be able to tune my S-afc II.. and no where in town knows how to use this type of controller... anybody have any suggestions?
SC V6

Postby happy_aggies » Wed May 21, 2003 2:23 pm

You need a shop who is capable of dyno tune using wide band (something like that).
happy_aggies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SC V6 » Wed May 21, 2003 8:33 pm

hmm... Ill keep that in mind.. where does the purple wire go? I looked at the diagram and it didn't envolve the purple wire
SC V6

Postby SC V6 » Wed May 21, 2003 9:13 pm

I looked in the Manual that I recieved, and its different from the one at Apexi for the S-afc. It looks like every wire is pushed up one spot.. and there is an extra wire.. which would be the purple one.. now, do I just plug the extra 3? (orange, pink, and blue) and where do I put the grounds in comparison to the diagram at Apexi, and teh one in the actual manual?
SC V6

Postby SC V6 » Thu May 22, 2003 6:52 am

I saw that there are 2 wiring diagrams, the one that has teh whole ECU, it has the wires all split up, how are the 2 connected? the one has all the wires u tap all next to each other... then the other one has them split up all over the ecu box, how are these connected?

The guy that has the pictures of his install on imagestation, has 2 wiring diagrams... and one just has 9 specific wires, going to the ecu, and the wires are labled to tap where... but on the second one its the whole ECU w\ all the wires possible, and it has different colored wires going to specific wires... can someone explain how these 2 are related, or which I should use to install the S-afc II?
SC V6

Postby happy_aggies » Thu May 22, 2003 8:38 am

All rite Scottv6,

Try this:

All you need is the last 2 pics from this site:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... =1&start=1

You remove the glove box and find the ECU.
And start looking of the wire from Wiring Diagram and
connect it to the one from ECU.

For example:
(Power) Red Wire from S-AFC needs to be connected or
tapped to PowerRed wire (B) from ECU.

(RPM)Green wire from S-AFC needs to be tapped to
the (RPM) Black/Orange (I) from ECU.

As simple as that.

One caveat, make sure that the flow of yellow and
white wires are not reversed.

Let me know if you need more help. :wink:
happy_aggies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SC V6 » Thu May 22, 2003 10:27 am

ohhh that cleared it up.. right away.. I now understand what the second diagram is for... thanks
Scott

One more question, the first diagram doesn't include the purple wire, I looked in the manual w\ the different language... and all that is different from the one that guy has done w\ imageistation, is that the 2 grounds on the same wire were moved up a wire, and the purple wire goes where the grounds were previously... does this sound right?? is that how it shoudl be done:?
SC V6

Postby happy_aggies » Thu May 22, 2003 12:01 pm

The most left (PE) is the knock sensor.
Pls double check w/ ur S-AFC manual, I am pretty sure but it's been a while. (Anyone else can verify?)

The two ground wire is tapped one inch apart.

Moderator: This is good thread to be a sticky or DIY or FAQ.
happy_aggies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SC V6 » Thu May 22, 2003 1:47 pm

thanks,.. one more.. ahha
If I decide to install this now (just plug the wires) and don't hook the actual unit into it.. would the car still run like regular... I want to wire this now, but not hook it up to run off the S-afc until im at the dyno... would this work?

also, which is the throttle signal?
and do I hook the airflow input and output to that middle p?
SC V6

Postby happy_aggies » Thu May 22, 2003 2:16 pm

Yes, you can do that by disconnecting the plug and re-wire the airflow (yellow and white wires) so that it will by pass the S-AFC.
The rest are T-tap so you don't have a problem w/ that.

I am not sure what do you mean by throttle signal, but it probably the RPM.

Dude....
You go to the back of ECU and trace the wire and hook it up from there.
U don't stick the cable from S-AFC to the ECU hole.

I hope u can get this thing done. I am a bit worried based on ur questions.
happy_aggies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SC V6 » Thu May 22, 2003 3:01 pm

what i was saying was... there are 2 wiring harnesses for the S-afc.. one has the ends exposed, and the other is what plugs into the other harness which goes to the acutal controller.. I wanted to just hook the wires in, and not connect the plug to the S-afc... I thought maybe it wouldn't turn it on, so the engine would run as it would if it were stock, until I plugged the second harness in (for the controller) and would have it dynoed.. all I wanted to do was hook it up, so the t-taps were there, but not have it run till I wanted it to.. is this possible, can I hook the wires up, and just not plug the controller in? not plug the the afc into the ecu

on that diagram it has differnt names for the wires, than the other diagram has... the diagram that isn't shown wants, a yellow and white for air flow/pressure signal in/out, black and brown wire for ground, gray for throttle, green wire for RPM signal, red wire for power, and purple for the knock sensor... the throttle signal and air flow pressure signal out/in arn't labled in the diagram above... thats what I was wondering also...
SC V6

Next

Return to Toyota Solara FAQs And Stickies