[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Dunno.....
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Dunno.....

Dunno.....

Postby Ogremensch » Tue May 18, 2004 4:25 am

Im seriously considering paying the considerable amount of money for the kazuma (i believe that was the name) supercharger, though for the gains, i'd personally consider the price of the part prohibitive, my biggest concern though is the taking of an engine that wasnt previously forced induction and making it so. how much will this shorten the life of my car, because i intend to be owning it for quite some time... advice? :(
There may be absolutely no meaning of life in this universe, or worse, there may be a meaning of which i dissaprove......

"come on baby, itll be just like jesus"
Ogremensch
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Astro » Tue May 18, 2004 8:42 am

As long as you keep it at stock boost, you shouldn't have any problems.
ImageImage
Lexus lip kit, LED tails, F-Sport Intake, HKS hi-power exhaust, TEIN S-tech springs
Astro
SolaraGuy Professional Racer
SolaraGuy Professional Racer

Postby Mole » Tue May 18, 2004 9:24 am

yup. although there will be times when you cant resist but to put the pedal to the metal, supercharge route is the safest way to go among forced induction.

keep up with regular maintenance and you will be fine.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

fuel/air mixture

Postby Sentinel » Tue May 18, 2004 5:22 pm

I see people writing about how lean their F/A Mixture is when blown, and some folks have 7th injectors? and increased capacity fuel pumps, and the like. Do you have these problems with the stock pulley? What kind of additions to the basic S/C kit can one expect to get maximum performance?

2000 SLEv6 : TRD RSB, Eibach & Tokico. :D
Sentinel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mole » Tue May 18, 2004 5:42 pm

you dont need any air/fuel tinkering on the stock pulley.

however you can free up the exhaust side, primarily the Y pipe.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby thakidd » Tue May 18, 2004 6:29 pm

i got the p0330 knock sensor malfuction bank2.on the stock pulley...
and i have a cai,cat-back exhaust.other than that it was the best purches
i ever made....
thakidd
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mole » Tue May 18, 2004 7:24 pm

^ what octane gas do you use?

if that codes is re-occuring you might then need a SAFC.

however when i was running with a stock pulley, i never had that problem.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Small pulley

Postby Sentinel » Wed May 19, 2004 8:37 am

What kind of tinkering would you need if you go with a higher boost pulley?
Also: What's a SAFC? some kind of Air Flow Sensor?
Once you open up the exhaust, is that when you get the knock sensor malfunction? isn't there a relocation kit for that?
3rd: Does anyone make any headers or a FULL exhaust system? it seems to me that once you get past the cat then there isn't a whole helluva lot to help exhause flow. I'd rather go w/headers, take the resonator off, and have a hi-flow cat and the rest of the exhaust. Is this what the Greddy evo2 is?

2000 SLEv6 : TRD RSB, Eibach & Tokico
Sentinel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mole » Wed May 19, 2004 9:51 am

depending on how much more psi you want, will determine how much more moding you will need.

the SAFC- super air fuel controller is a piggy back that tinkers with the air/fuel mixture.

recently for some odd reason knock sensors have been tripped by harley's. it's a type of microphone that tunes in to listen to knock, unfortunately harley's seem to make the same type of noise the knock sensor listens for. that's the main reason why some folks are getting knock.

other people can chime in on the knock sensor thing, since it never happend to me.

at the moment a company called JP made a set of headers, y pipe, midpipe and muffler made to accomodate section of the exhaust

another compay called XERD made something apparently but they disappeared w/ some people's money.

the Greddy evolution (2) exhaust is a simple cat-back exhaust containning 2 resonators.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby swimshady906 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:39 am

I would say after rolling around with the SC for just 2k miles, after i took it off i realized how much it helped. It is a good investment, just dont take it off once it's on, it will make you sad. :(
02' S2000 Silverstone
00' SE V6 Silverstream - sold :(

We race because Basketball, Baseball, Football and Soccer only require one ball.
swimshady906
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby WortownSolara » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:17 am

but thanks ANDY =0) I appreciate what you did for me =0)
If it doesn't kill you.....it only makes you faster!
WortownSolara
Audio Guru
Audio Guru

Postby Fletch » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:45 pm

Even at 5.5 psi, it is not too much pressure on the internals. Think of it this way, the S/C will create more heat, and heat is the enemy, so it has the potential to shorten engine life, but unless you have the sludge problem, the 1mz can run well past 300k without a rebuild and truthfully, most of us will get rid of it long before then anyway. I don't think anybody has blown and engine on 4.0 psi or even 5.5 psi. It basically comes down to the money for the S/C for most people.
2006 Legacy GT spec.B

(Totaled) '99 SE V6, TRD S/C, 5.5 psi Pulley, Jim's Fuel Upgrade, TRD Shortshifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Lightweight Flywheel, Tokico / Eibach, TRD RSB, 2.5" Custom Y-Pipe, Greddy Cat-Back
Fletch
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby swimshady906 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:50 am

WortownSolara wrote:but thanks ANDY =0) I appreciate what you did for me =0)

hehe, no problem :D
02' S2000 Silverstone
00' SE V6 Silverstream - sold :(

We race because Basketball, Baseball, Football and Soccer only require one ball.
swimshady906
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 808Camry » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:14 am

I have stock boost and had A/F probs and knock sensor probs in bank 2, and I have an SAFC II. Not all cars are created equal, I among others unfortunately have a very sensitive car. I believe that the real culprit is the fuel filter and the fuel line to the rails, after it being pointed out to me by someone on here who did Jim's fuel mod, it makes a lot of sense when you look at it. The system feeds bank 1 first and even though pressure should be equal since the system is pressurized, the fuel is not being T-ed off to both banks equally. If you get the SC and Foreign Affairs fuel upgrade kit you shouldn't see any probs in my opinion.

Money well spent if you do it right.
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Forced Induction