[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Knock sensor prob with AC on and slight load
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Knock sensor prob with AC on and slight load

Knock sensor prob with AC on and slight load

Postby 808Camry » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:39 pm

Knock sensor tripping when AC and slight load
Okay ever since my knock sensor began to trip (not blown) I've been keeping it under 4K and not even flooring the car. It was good until recently when if I run the AC and apply a certain % of throttle the car would retard timing and then a few seconds later the CEL goes off with the bank 2 knock sensor malfunction. I clear it and it drives fine after. It's happened three times with the AC on, once while coasting and slight throttle, once when reversing, and once more last night when I was crusing around with 4 friends in the car. I never cut the bolt the install procecdures said to cut, but it never gave me this problem before. Also when I do get the bank 2 malfunction code it doesn't show a lean code which is what it did the first time.

I'm not sure if this is a factor but the last ECU reset I did, I did it after I made adjustments to my safc II, in hopes that it would learn a new fuel map with the safc II settings in place. Could this be why I'm getting this prob now? Before this reset I would always just run lean and get the bank 1 and bank 2 too lean code. I haven't gotten it since this reset, but I get an even worser knock sensor CEL. I went through that checked all my vaccum lines and everything is intact, and installed correctly because I traced myself a few times using the most updated diagram the supplement had. My EGR gasket and my throttle body gasket is fine. The only other possibility I can think of is the PCV hose behind the charger on the passenger side. I remember it looked like it was almost getting slightly pinched in there that's the only hose that could be wrong.

Here's my history of probs:

1. first month lean codes
2. next month it ran fine for a few weeks
3. out of no where, lean codes again
4. safc II install with slight adjustments, still get lean codes
5. ecu reset with safc II adjustments all set no lean codes but a few weeks later knock probs.
6. Today, asking why me on 4psi of boost...

I hope this hasn't been confusing. Thanks in advance!
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mole » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:21 pm

maybe the sensors are at the end of their lives, giving faulty codes.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby cdssolara » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:35 pm

It seems that once the knock sensors throw a CEL, they always do exactly what is happening in your car. I don't think there is a difference between tripping the code and blowing the sensors. Once they do what they're supposed to do, they seem to need to be replaced. I hope I'm wrong in your case, but my experience would indicate otherwise.
cdssolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 808Camry » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:44 pm

The thing is I want to fix the prob before replacing the sensors, I don't want this to happen again that's why. Man this sucks big time.
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kondo » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:46 pm

I went through the same thing with the cel lights going on and off the only way to fix it is to replace both of your knock sensors. I changed them and have stuck to the 4 psi ever since, all my troubles started when I switched to a smaller pulley. TRD gives you a 4 psi pulley stock for a reason, even with 5.5psi I only gained 10hp on the dyno...The smaller pulleys just dont work...adding more boost=more knock and that costs $$$$ to fix

Nick
99 sle, 03 evo
kondo
SolaraGuy StickerGuy
SolaraGuy StickerGuy

Postby Mole » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:26 pm

the reason why you gained only 10 more hp from 4-5.5 psi was because you increased the intake side, but didnt accomodate the exhaust side.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby 808Camry » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:02 pm

Sheddy thing for me is I've always been on 4psi.
808Camry
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Forced Induction