[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - My new build and some ?'s
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

My new build and some ?'s

My new build and some ?'s

Postby MR2 Biohazard » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Here I go, first post on the forum. Thanks in advance for the help. I have been running a 1mz in my MR2 Biohazard race car for the last two years. It is so much fun I decided to use it in an upcoming build for a kit car, but I have a few questions on which direction to go.

3.3L Twin Turbo with about 15-18psi. I am thinking it should have about 450-550 hp at the crank depending on rpm limit. So I have a few items that I am having trouble figuring out and could use help on.
1- What pistons to use and where to get them. I am thinking 8.5-9.0 c/r. I was going to call Wiseco and see what they have.
2- Head gasket? I was thinking of getting Cometic to make a custom one if they do not already have one, but any other suggestions.
3-Valve springs- Who makes upgraded ones or how to get more rpms out of the engine with boost and higher revs
4-Shimless buckets? I have done this on the 3sgte, but I reved that to 10,500. Is there a toyota drop in or does the 1zz shimless work?
5-Best way to raise rev limit. I have used oscilator chips to overclock the camry ecu and that works but might not be great at higher rpms. Is there another way?
6-Emanage- Does anyone have a base setup for this? I have tuned with TEC3 so I am wondering how hard it is to get the emanage up and running? I will have a wideband and will be able to datalog with that, but I am not sure of the capabilites of the emanage unit. It seems that most higher hp cars use it so it must work, just wondering how easy the setup is.
7-Am I missing anything major from the list below?

Thanks for the help and tips. Thoughts on my future setup?

Here are the specs
3mz block and head, stock 3mz intake and exh cams with vvti disconnected
8.5-9.0 c/r (which pistons should I get that work in this block with the c/r I would like)
Ported polished head, might as well clean it up a bit while it is out
Valve springs? (which springs to get? I want to rev to like 7500-8000)
Longitudinal mounted engine
G50 transaxle with flywheel,clutch,pressure plate and bearing supplied
Twin turbos, not sure on which yet, Maybe T28, GT? or t304b with .48ar housing. They should flow about 30cfm and spool fast. Twin turbo fun.
Dual 2.5" exhuast with borla mufflers
Dual 1.5" wastgate exhaust
Custom exh manifolds
Dual 38mm wastegates
Twin MR2 air to air intercoolers
Custom intake manifold with med to short runners and velocity stacks for mid to higher rpm
Head gasket? cometic custom with the rings in it to seal well? Anything else for the 3mz block that works good?
75mm throttle body to match intake and take in all the air
600 to 680cc injectors
Greddy emanage
Boost controler- not sure yet, maybe just wastegate spring
Custom oil pan or modified stock oil pan for longitudinal engine mounting
accusump
oil cooler or coolers. Might just use two small ones right before each turbo
Bosch 044 fuel pump to feed the rails and surge tank
Aeromotive FPR
All an fittings and SS lines.
Zentronics wideband and datalogger with rpm, afr and boost
MR2 Biohazard
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: My new build and some ?'s

Postby MR2 Biohazard » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Anyone have thoughts on these main things?

8.5-9.0 c/r pistons? where to get them.

Where to get better valve springs?
MR2 Biohazard
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Brandoe91 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:14 am

Here is some articles on the turbo charging the 1mz that might help:

If you are building the engine,I would stick with the 1mz-fe non-vvti. There is more info on the 1mz-fe and it is cheaper than the 3mz-fe. Aslo the power
output between the two are minimal in my opinion.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10-ha ... -info.html

http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38841
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MR2 Biohazard » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:44 am

Thank you. That really helped. I plan to use engle 3sgte valve springs so I can rev to 8000 and drop it for like $100. I see the stock rods have been proven to 500rwhp so I am good with them for now then. Pistons are my next choice.
MR2 Biohazard
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Smaay » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:43 pm

you don't want to run the 3MZ with the VVT disconnected. that will put the cams in a very non efficient position. if you are going to use a 3MZ, get a camcon to control the VVT or upgrade to a full stand alone EMS that also run DBW.
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Brandoe91 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:34 pm

^ well said.
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby i20solara02i » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:30 pm

i would dump the emanage and go with a full standalone.
if you really want to go twin go with the gt28rs
single go gt35r should be more than plenty
version 3.0 complete 302 hp 303 tq stay tuned for 3.01 (meth installed, now needs to get it tune)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZOTi2NPNIA
i20solara02i
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:32 am

Standalone would be the way to go to get a proper rev happy engine. The emanage won't be capable of helping you to reach your goals. You are right on the rods. As for pistons you really can't call any company to see if thy have them. That's the bad thing for us MZ guys. No matter who you contact. Arias. JE wiseco cp their going to have to custom make a forged low compression piston for you. I'm gettong Arias 9.0:1 forged pistons made for my 1mz. Their not cheap so don't be scared when you drop 1k on pistons.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby Smaay » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:54 pm

Smaay wrote:you don't want to run the 3MZ with the VVT disconnected. that will put the cams in a very non efficient position. if you are going to use a 3MZ, get a camcon to control the VVT or upgrade to a full stand alone EMS that also run DBW.

ok im going to contradict myself here. firs off the CAMCON wont work because it does not supply the signals to the OCV for VVT. it only manipulates the cam sensor to the ECU.

now for running a 3MZ using non VVT electronics. yes it can be done. my engine started tapping so i swapped in a full 3MZ. it runs but i had to do a few things. i had to use the non VVT intake manifold and throttle body. i had to tweak the EGR tube to fit around the larger head and shift cable.

the engine ran at about 350 RPMs at idle. i adjusted the screw on the TB to raise it to about 800 and the engine was much happier. the fuel trims are a little out of wack also. while driving it runs really good. if i stab the throttle it responds really well.

no CEL for any sensors. except EVAP but thats my fault. its not all installed yet.
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Forced Induction