[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Potential 2GRFE, TVS1320 S/C, E153 Transmisson
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Potential 2GRFE, TVS1320 S/C, E153 Transmisson

Potential 2GRFE, TVS1320 S/C, E153 Transmisson

Postby Rez Solara » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Just for the hell of it lets discuss this potential swap into a 1999 Solara SE V6 E153 5 speed.
I have been reading up on different MR2 Forums and discovered it is possible to mate a 2GRFE with the E153 transmission with slight modification to the bell housing. I'm sure it will also take custom fabricated motor mounts, and exhaust pieces. Major things to consider is wiring, that requires sourcing the engine with it's 2GR ECU and most likey the immobilizer and key if from a junked FWD Toyota/Lexus. The air conditioning and cruise control would also be something that would require lots of work.

The icing on the cake would be: the Eaton TVS R1320/TRD/ Harrop TVS1320 supercharger to go with the already potent 2GR, Fidanza flywheel, capable clutch kit, E153 LSD kit, coilover suspension, and big brake kit.

Imagine a 1st Gen Solara getting current Toyota technology. It would have improved gas mileage, torque, and horsepower over the N/A 1MZ and even the TRD Supercharged 1MZ.

Stock Solara 1MZFE 200hp, 211lb-ft, 16-28 mpg, weight 400 lbs
Stock Camry 2GRFE 268hp, 248 lb-ft, 20-29 mpg, weight 369 lbs

This is in the forced induction forum because of potential for supercharging, and I wanted to get everyone's attention.

What do you all think? Has it ever been done before?
To GregTRD or TRD4Life, you guys have mad experience working on our cars, what are your thoughts?
Rez Solara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Potential 2GRFE, TVS1320 S/C, E153 Transmisson

Postby chullen1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:37 pm

I already looked into doing this swap before I went the supercharged 1mz/3mz hybrid route. The 2gr can be picked up for a about 4500 bucks complete with harness and ecu and sensor and such. The TRD aurion or TVSR1320 supercharger is 10800 dollars. I am not willing to pay that for it. Once it would be all said and done you are looking at close to 25 to 30k minus the car. I would just looking into a MP90 from TRD4Life and have hime build you a motor like I am having him do. My motor is going to super stout so it is costing up the upper part of the price range.
chullen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Rez Solara » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:53 pm

I see... the costs of going all out 2GR with the TVS outweighs the benefits. This is probably why people have gone the custom turbo route for the 2GR.

Personally I wouldn't mind just having a NA 2GR to replace my tired 1MZ. For maybe 7,000 that is cheaper then buying a new/used car. With gas prices the way they are, the benefits still seem pretty good.
My preferences are more toward reliability, mpgs, and range more so than performance because I enjoy long road trips a little more then tuning. That's just me though don't hate hahaha
Rez Solara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Rez Solara » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:20 pm

chullen1 wrote:I already looked into doing this swap before I went the supercharged 1mz/3mz hybrid route. The 2gr can be picked up for a about 4500 bucks complete with harness and ecu and sensor and such. The TRD aurion or TVSR1320 supercharger is 10800 dollars. I am not willing to pay that for it. Once it would be all said and done you are looking at close to 25 to 30k minus the car. I would just looking into a MP90 from TRD4Life and have hime build you a motor like I am having him do. My motor is going to super stout so it is costing up the upper part of the price range.

Chullen, so you think it's not worth it being that a GLP hybrid motor w/ MP90 or M122 would simply always roast a 2GR Solara? I'm thinking of the Triple Charged Solara they built and that gives me chills. 400+ hp ftw.
And are you saying your total build will be close to 30k?

Am I even in the ballpark thinking a NA 2GR swap to cost 7-10k?
Rez Solara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:46 pm

chullen1 wrote:TVSR1320 supercharger is 10800 dollars.

Holy :bleep: That cost more than the TVS for my GTO and it displaces almost a full liter more..well one of them does.

I'd definitely like to see the outcome, but for that price of the blower you can have a pretty potent turbo that will probably out perform it in every part of the rev range. And the TVS is just too quiet :P but they're much more efficient than the last generation
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby chullen1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 am

Rez Solara wrote:
chullen1 wrote:I already looked into doing this swap before I went the supercharged 1mz/3mz hybrid route. The 2gr can be picked up for a about 4500 bucks complete with harness and ecu and sensor and such. The TRD aurion or TVSR1320 supercharger is 10800 dollars. I am not willing to pay that for it. Once it would be all said and done you are looking at close to 25 to 30k minus the car. I would just looking into a MP90 from TRD4Life and have hime build you a motor like I am having him do. My motor is going to super stout so it is costing up the upper part of the price range.

Chullen, so you think it's not worth it being that a GLP hybrid motor w/ MP90 or M122 would simply always roast a 2GR Solara? I'm thinking of the Triple Charged Solara they built and that gives me chills. 400+ hp ftw.
And are you saying your total build will be close to 30k?

Am I even in the ballpark thinking a NA 2GR swap to cost 7-10k?

I think the 3mz/1mz hybrid swap with a MP122 would be awesome. I was considering that route before I decieded to go twin charge. My motor build will cost about 10 to 12k. The TRD supercharger I will be running will only be pushing about 6.5psi. The Percision 6266 will be the other motivation for my car.
chullen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby chullen1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:49 am

1gSE wrote:
chullen1 wrote:TVSR1320 supercharger is 10800 dollars.

Holy :bleep: That cost more than the TVS for my GTO and it displaces almost a full liter more..well one of them does.

I'd definitely like to see the outcome, but for that price of the blower you can have a pretty potent turbo that will probably out perform it in every part of the rev range. And the TVS is just too quiet :P but they're much more efficient than the last generation

I agree its just too much money for the output. For the same price as a 2gr/TVS supercharger swap. I can have a 3mz/1mz hybrid with a TRD supercharger and a 62 trim turbo.
chullen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Brandoe91 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:57 pm

I think the 2gr swap can be done for around 5000 grand if you can do the ALL the work yourself and really go part hunting. It's a pretty impressive swap, capable of producing 270whp in stock form and 300whp+ with bolt ons and a tune. To get our 1MZ to those level we spend around 3000-5000 depending on what parts you used. So the swap is not that expensive but realistic for most of us that swap will probably cost around 7000 or more . If you were able to do it yourself you would be just fast as some of our heavily modified s/ced guys at a similar cost.Chullen what are your power goals?
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby chullen1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:30 pm

I am looking to put down about 450 to 550 or more just depends on what size turbo I use. I think twin charged that is very possible.
chullen1
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TadS » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:14 pm

Here's a monster thread revival! Has anyone successfully swapped the 2GR into a Gen 1 Solara, or Gen 4 Camry, yet? I know the MR-2 guys have done it, but I haven't stumbled across one on our platform yet. Personally, I'd like to just find a donor and move everything over, but I'm worried that there might be a half-shaft length issue. That's sort of where I'd draw the line. Motor mounts, or cross-member fabrication is pretty easy, custom half-shafts, not so simple.
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to Forced Induction