[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - P0171 after boost, need advice.
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

P0171 after boost, need advice.

Postby JavaJoe_2 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:49 pm

You don't have a high flow fuel pump??
Got Boost?? :sweet:
JavaJoe_2
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby RON » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:53 pm

JavaJoe_2 wrote:You don't have a high flow fuel pump??

As far as throwing a LEAN CODE..

I had 5.5 lbs boost and Injen short ram with NO FUEL mods for 7 years (not even Jim's until recently) and never had a lean code. Not saying fuel mods aren't a good thing..just that his lean code isn't from lack of fuel with stock boost.
RON
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby atclate » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:30 am

I don't have an upgraded fuel pump, but I installed the jim's fuel mod, and it seemed to help a little, but it's still coming back...

And again, I only see the CEL come up at idle, and my idle is not very regular. It sometimes idles at 800, sometimes at 700, and then it might pop back up to 800... I think there's something wrong with my idle... but then, I don't have EBC, so I might be having boost even at idle...
For sale: Injen SRI, Randy's CAI extension, TRD Supercharger, TRD RSB, Jim's Torque Rod, 2003 Solara SLE with TRD Body Kit
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Eye8Pussies » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:16 pm

A lack of fuel mode will make you blow your knock sensors before making you throw a lean code most likely. And from the weird idle that you are describing and the fact that you thrownthe codes at idle, it's time to start looking for vacuum leaks.

Usually vacuum leaks will also throw. Random misfire code, but bit always, so check carefully.
HaHa

Ripped...and the girls are loving it. ;)
Eye8Pussies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby atclate » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:11 pm

Cool thanks.
I read up about checking vacuum leak here: http://www.aa1car.com/library/vacleak.htm

I'll use a scan tool to see what my Short Term / Long Term Fuel Trim is at idle, and try to spray my aresol carburetor cleaner to suspecting leakage locations.

Eye8Pussies wrote:A lack of fuel mode will make you blow your knock sensors before making you throw a lean code most likely. And from the weird idle that you are describing and the fact that you thrownthe codes at idle, it's time to start looking for vacuum leaks.

Usually vacuum leaks will also throw. Random misfire code, but bit always, so check carefully.
For sale: Injen SRI, Randy's CAI extension, TRD Supercharger, TRD RSB, Jim's Torque Rod, 2003 Solara SLE with TRD Body Kit
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby atclate » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:52 am

I couldn't find any leaks by spraying starting fluid on places I think it could have a leak. However, I started to suspect that the throttle body butterfly valve is where it's leaking. I see a small gap between the valve and the throttle body. I wonder if there's a way to adjust it.

I tried loosening the throttle cable and there's still a small gap.
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby atclate » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:42 am

I re-cleaned my throttle body again tonight, and loosened the screw that adjusts the throttle plate position. The CEL still comes back...

But while I was cleaning my throttle body, I found out something that seemed a little strange. When I was looking into the supercharger while holding the throttle open, I saw an opening that was closed, which seems to be the bypass for the boost. Basically, when I moved the actuator that controls boost, I don't see the opening open at all. It just keeps shut. I wonder if it's supposed to open. Does anyone know? I hope I don't have a defective S/C...

http://solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=14418
I found this old thread that another person seems to be having the same problem as I do, and basically, the mechanic installed his vacuum wrong, and from my understanding, he always gets boost because of that.
I wonder if I'm experiencing the same thing, except in my case, I have a different problem...
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby atclate » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:54 pm

>_< Doesn't seem like a problem with my boost actuator... I tried forcing boost all the time and I do feel a difference...

While I was playing with my scan tool, I noticed that I don't get the code when I first start up. I only get that code after I've driven my car, and then the car comes to an idle.
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby atclate » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:55 pm

I am able to reproduce the code reliably now.
The code gets thrown whenever my car is warmed up and then I come to an idle. Then I tried hooking up my scan tool and monitor the readings, I found something interesting.

- When my car is warm, and I turn off the car, and then start it, my O2 (Air Fuel since my car is Cali Spec) sensor reading is around 0.1V. Then I rev it a little, without going into gear, my reading is also around 0.1V.

- However, after I drove around the block slowly, and then come back to an idle, my reading pops up to 0.45V. I idled a little bit, 0.45V. I revved it a little, it's also 0.45V. All other readings are the same as if I just started the car, including short term and long term fuel trim.

With this information, I wonder if I can conclude I have a bad or dirty A/F sensor. Should I replace it or is there a way to clean it? Afterall, this stick http://solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=16121 did mention that "Heated oxygen sensor malfunction" could throw this code, and my engine bay does get pretty hot.
Last edited by atclate on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Akfahad » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:46 am

^^could be worth a shot. Although a shop would be more able to specifically ID the problem. They'd be able to determine if it is indeed the heater on the O2 sensor, since the heater function on the sensor is designed to bring the O2 sensor into optimum operating temp ranges. If the heater is bad, you need to replace the whole sensor since they are both "as one unit" if you will.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby atclate » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:10 pm

To correct my findings, the voltage on the rear sensor was .45V, and the ones before the precat was .7V.
Thanks for your advice.
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby atclate » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:33 am

Finally figured out what the problem was. I was the INJEN!
When I use the INJEN, the air flow read from my scan tool is 0.3lb/min. When I use the stock intake, the reading is 0.4lb/min.

The air fuel ratio must have been offset by the deflated air flow reading caused by the increased diameter of the INJEN. I'm going to go back to stock.
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jetbtkng » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 am

i have injens on all my yotas, one cai, two shotries, never thrown a code, one my ole ladies 4 banger, the cai is my 2000 lara 6 psi, the 3rd is my 02 lara with the shorty at 8psi, somthings not rite on your car, it could be the afs........ :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby atclate » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:20 am

I checked the front A/F sensor, and it has the normal white powderish coating on it. I don't think it's the a/f sensor. If anything, I would think it's the MAF sensor, or my IAC valve...
atclate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Eye8Pussies » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:26 am

bad a/f or o2 sensor does not cause the ecu to throw lean codes- if it's malfunctioning, the car will run rich- quite the opposite of lean

and although it's not common on our cars, it is not uncommon for an injen intake to cause lean codes in a lot of other cars, so it's not a huge surprise

especially when you were able to read the live data for the MAF sensor

and it wouldn't be your iac valve either since that doesn't change just because you have the injen intake on.

That, and if your iac valve is the culprit, you would have a lot of stumbling at idle as well (which I don't think you really described)
HaHa

Ripped...and the girls are loving it. ;)
Eye8Pussies
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Forced Induction