[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Idler pulleys on Supercharger failing?
For those looking for more speed through force. Forced Induction; Supercharger,Turbocharger or Nitrous discussion and maintenance.

Idler pulleys on Supercharger failing?

Idler pulleys on Supercharger failing?

Postby nmatthis » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:17 pm

I have the TRD supercharger on my 99 Solara V6, 5spd. Stock 4 psi boost with no other engine mods. A few weeks ago, I noticed that there seemed to be some kind of rust-colored residue on the supercharger belt. On closer inspection, I could see rust-colored dust on one of the plates that sandwich the pulleys, right around one of the idler pulleys. Specifically, the idler pulley right above the auto-tensioner pulley. I wonder if the bearing has failed on the pulley. I haven't noticed any strange noises yet though. Anyone ever see this rust-colored dust on the belts and pulleys?
Neal Matthis
DWP 99 Solara SE V6 5-spd
TRD Supercharger (4 psi)
TRD struts/springs
TRD quickshifter
Whiteline RSB
160k+ miles
nmatthis
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Mole » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:22 pm

hmm. i dont understand how rust can get in there.

try cleaning the pulley and plates carefully w/ some simple green. let it dry and inspect it after a week.

as long as you hear everything moving along fine, you should have nothing to worry about.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby nmatthis » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:37 pm

The rust-colored dust seems to be originating from the center of one of the pulleys. On one of the plates next to the pulley, there is a ring of reddish dust this is slightly larger than the pulley diameter. I thought maybe the bearings were compromised and were rusting, spewing rust outward from the pulley and collecting on the plate. I clean eveything like you said and check it in a week. Thanks.

TRDMole177 wrote:hmm. i dont understand how rust can get in there.

try cleaning the pulley and plates carefully w/ some simple green. let it dry and inspect it after a week.

as long as you hear everything moving along fine, you should have nothing to worry about.
Neal Matthis
DWP 99 Solara SE V6 5-spd
TRD Supercharger (4 psi)
TRD struts/springs
TRD quickshifter
Whiteline RSB
160k+ miles
nmatthis
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Forced Induction