[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - blind spot? unbelivable story
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

blind spot? unbelivable story

blind spot? unbelivable story

Postby Shoe » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:37 pm

is it me or does anyone find a bit of a blind spot when looking back over your shoulder on the driver side rear window?

I said when i test drove the car that it bothered me and today it almost cost me HUGE.

I think what happened was it was 1 of those 2 people changing into the same lane me from the slow lane to the middle lane him from the fast lane to the middle lane.

All I hear is beeeeeeeeeeeeep and theres this beige domestic like right beside me sharing the lane. Ill admit may have cut him off it happens but what comes next still has me shaking. He goes about pushing me back to the slow lane that was a bit risky even at that but maybe i deserved it. ( I would not attempt what he did. BUT THEN. HE GOES AS FAR AS TO SWERVE HARD AT ME TO USE HIS CAR TO PLANT ME INTO THE GAURD RAIL, he had his nose ahead of mine and i had nowhere to go other than to break hard and get on the shoulder he almost scratched the solara.

His fist waves in the air as he takes off. I was like WHAT A MANIAC there was no way i was going to re engage this clown in pre rush hour traffic.

diagram below

express 3 lanes |BARRIER| collectors 3 lanes

I was in the express he drove me into the barrier if i hit it at the speed im sure id have rolled over the barrier and into the collectors

id have loved to have gotten the plate on that car but i love to have my life even more so i just slowed down and let him get way ahead of me way way a head of me

hopefully he will get whats comming to him.

OH AND WATCH TAHT BLIND SPOT

shoe
Shoe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby slingshot » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:41 pm

Good news that you came out of that without a scratch! It is a little bit of a blind spot and I make sure I turn my head a more to the left every time I want to merge left. But when I test drove the G35 coupe its rear driver side window was even smaller and a lot harder to see. So this car isn't bad in comparison. Still not like a four door Camry but that's what you pay to have much better looks.
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

glad

Postby bigpow » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:01 pm

You should be glad you're okay.
Those crazy canadians! :D
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby fotodad » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:59 pm

You've described a classic case of road rage. I did the same thing as you. I was gaining on a car ahead of me and decided to do a lane change to go around him. So I put on my signal, checked my mirrors, and glanced over my shoulder to see if anyone was in my blindspot. I saw nothing, so I proceeded to do the lane change. There was a car in my blindspot but I never saw him. He gave me a polite beep, I passed the car, pulled over and waved an apology. He waved back and we proceeded on our way, me a bit smarter and a bunch shaken! Yes, there is a spot on the Solara that obstructs the view, but I blame myself.

Here's a case where I screwed up and could have caused a fatal accident. And the driver of the car I cut off had every right to be upset with me. But he took the high ground by realized tailgating me or giving me the finger or running me off the road would accomplish NOTHING!

Moral of the story: We all make mistakes behind the wheel and we all experience drivers who make mistakes around us. It does absolutely no good to get upset and take your anger out on the other driver. If someone cuts you off either ignore their mistake or go the extra mile and give 'em a courteous wave (using ALL the fingers on your hand).

Thanks for sharing your frightening story. It made me and hopefully others realize how dangerous driving can be and we must all stay alert and share the road.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now! :D
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby chuchurocket » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:24 pm

i used to drive a huge SUV and a VAN, so blindspot was never a problem
but when i get solara, i find HUGE blind spot everytime i turn over my shoulder,especially cuz i always kepy the seat very low, since i am over 6' and something also this increases leg room without makign hte ppl at back seat suffer. things gotten worse, i am getting honk more often when changing lane now LOL
chuchurocket
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:35 am

Always do a shouldercheck...some people buy those oval mirrors for the side mirrors to help them...its a nice nifty thing......nice to know you came out unscratched/unhurt...but the way KUDOS for not reengaging the person who cut you off.....I think i would have done the opposite...
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby pecora55 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:48 am

In the max i notice its a lot easier for me to peer over my left shoulder adn check for traffic in the other lane...before i had problems but now since its 4 door it helps out a lot
Goodbye solara, loved you while i had you :( now into my bros hands, and hello Spec V...BYE BYE SpecV HELLO 04 Maxima ;)
-------------------------------
'04 Maxima SE
'03 Sentra SpecV(SOLD)
'99 Solara SLE V6 Auto(SOLD)
pecora55
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby impactX » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:28 pm

Just do a careful shoulder check.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver