[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Just got new tires
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Just got new tires

Just got new tires

Postby Blazed04 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:42 am

So as i posted about a week or so ago...the dealer was ordering me new tires, because the bridgestones that come on the car were said to be crappy. So they were ordering me some Toyos. But called up and said that they were back ordered and didnt know when theyd be in. Anyways, i went down there this morning, because we told them that we needed the tires ASAP because of a road trip we were taking (:lol: haha) Since they didnt have the Toyos, the put a set of Michelin Pilot MXM4's on. The demensions of these tires are 225/50/17 compared to the 215/55/17 of the Bridgestones. They are said to be quieter, but i think that theyre louder than the Bridgestones. Although i think they look better, with a lower profile they make the car look more sporty, and they hug the road better. Just wanna hear some opinions...
Lunar Mist '04 SE Sport V6
2001 GSXR 750

Blazed04
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Mole » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:30 am

the lower series tires will always be louder than the higher ones.

for ie... in your case you jumped from 55 to a 50.
the power of 8
Mole
molerator
molerator

Postby HKSV6SLE » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:03 pm

the lower the sidewall (series) the tire gets thinner so it will make more noise, that's part of the reason why most passneger cars use 60 series tires...
2008 LEXUS IS350 SGM
www.lexusnet.com
HKSV6SLE
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby fotodad » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:35 am

Speaking of ordering new tires, I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot A/S. I'm in debt up to my butt. The should be here in about a week. My local tire guy matched Tirerack's price plus gave me a deal on mounting. I'll let everyone know how they perform once I get some miles on them.

Anyone need a set of stock Bridgestone Turanzas? I'll let them go cheap, cheap, cheap!
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
Sirius/Streamer plug and play satellite radio
a smiling face in the driver's seat!
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Blazed04 » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:50 am

Yeah im lucky, because i got my new tires for free. FOTO, you shoulda went to toyota and told them something bad about your tires, and since they are still under warauntee you would have probably gotten new ones at no cost, or almost nothing.
Lunar Mist '04 SE Sport V6
2001 GSXR 750

Blazed04
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:58 am

Fotodad never would have gotten Michelin Pilot A/S from Toyota. Those tires are the best all-season tires made and expensive. Foto, is your local tire place a nationwide chain store? I'm surprised you got such a good deal. Great going. How much are the stock Turanza tires from Tirerack? I don't have a place to store tires so can't buy your old tires. I have yet to make my OEM tires squeal so I would rather get stiffer shocks than new tires at this point. I would love to have less lean when making tight turns at high speeds. I never test drove the SE Sport model so don't know just how much less lean they have. Anyone test drive both the Sport and SLE and can comment?
Dave
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby fotodad » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:47 am

slingshot wrote:Foto, is your local tire place a nationwide chain store?

I think they're just a local outfit. The place is called American Car Care Centers. Who knows, with a name like that, maybe they are national.

I'm surprised you got such a good deal. Great going.

Thanks, Dave. I'm a little surprised, too. They told me they were making $90.00 on the deal. I can live with that. Hey, they gotta feed their kids, too.

How much are the stock Turanza tires from Tirerack?

Wow! Tirerack sells them for $167.00 each! That seems high! I'd sell my set for that price!
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp ... ranza+EL42

I don't have a place to store tires so can't buy your old tires
I'll make you an unbelievable deal! I just wonder how expensive shipping would be. Remember, one of the tires was patched.

I never test drove the SE Sport model so don't know just how much less lean they have. Anyone test drive both the Sport and SLE and can comment? Dave

Before I bought my SLE I test drove an SE Sport. The Sport version definitely has a tighter suspension. And yes, the Sport, in my opinion, did not lean as much as the SLE does. But it's a small difference. I think your idea to get new springs/shocks for your suspension is smart. Depending on how these tires perform and if I can get out of debt anytime soon, I think the next thing on my shopping list will be suspension improvements.
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:37 am

The Turanza's in HR speed rating are only $135 each at TireRack. Still, they are a lot more than the standard tires were for the Gen1 Solara. But these Turanza's are better for sure than those. Still no comparison to the Pilot A/S and when it comes time to replace them, I'll be getting the Pilots for sure since they aren't much more than the OEM's.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby fotodad » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:02 am

slingshot wrote:The Turanza's in HR speed rating are only $135 each at TireRack.

For whatever reason, I've got "V" rated tires on my car. Did I just get lucky, or did other 04s ship with "V" rated tires?
2004 Solara SLE
Lunar Mist/Graphite
InvisaGuard
20% tinting all around
Michelin Pilot A/S
fotodad
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby slingshot » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:42 am

I got V series too by the definition of the lettering on the tire that you specified in an earlier thread. I was just offering that an alternative lower speed rated tire is available for less that is perfectly suitable since I think few of us go over 120MPG. I can't see the need for anything higher than H rating myself unless you drive on the Autobahn.
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5