[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Price Comparison - US vs. Canada - SLE V6 2004 Solara Help!
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Price Comparison - US vs. Canada - SLE V6 2004 Solara Help!

Price Comparison - US vs. Canada - SLE V6 2004 Solara Help!

Postby royaloakranger » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:53 pm

SLE V6 2004 Solara (no navi)

The US Kelly Blue Book "invoice" price = $25,213 (= $33,785 Canadian)

Recent post with dreaded folder = $24,905 (= $33,372 Canadian)

Canadian Toyota Access = $28526 (= $37,241 Canadian)

Plus 14.5% Fed & Provincial Tax = $32,661 (= $42,639 Canadian)

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! What's a crazy Canuck to do? Even if you were to add on a 7% State Tax To KBB invoice you would be at $26,977 ($36,149 CDN)

Bottom Line: That's $6490 more up here in Canada (a $4,971 US difference).

I think US Toyota may have an agreement with Canada Toyota not to sell/register their vehicles to Canadian addresses.

So in love with this car yet cryin' my eyes out at the heavy Canadian price tag. Please help!
royaloakranger
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby slingshot » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:21 pm

How about joining the crowd and moving south? :wink:
2004 SLE V6 with NAV/VSC/TRAC/Curtain air
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/963151/1
slingshot
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby chuchurocket » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:35 pm

canadian toyota is cheap,trust me.

ever since 2002, january i think, (not sure,) Toyota canada passed that stupid toyota access price thingy, that is, YOU CANNOT talk a dime off your MSRP, it may sounds like BS to all our american buddies here, but check for yourself, goto a dealership, ask for the 2003/04 model, and they won't lower the MSRP at all. or talk to ppl who bought a toyota in canada after 2002.
the dealership will probably throw in services or extended warranty for you at a discount or free, but the MSRP itself will stand firm. the sales too, earn a fixed salary, no more commision, (unless you are looking in the used compartment)

the total cost of a SLE v6 will be something around 43000 CDN, that's including 1230 CDN of: freight PDI, battery, tire levy, reimbursement air tax thingy and 14.5 PST/GST. Also a 600 CDN worth of paint protection and "UNDERBODY COATING". these two services are usually done on all new cars for no extra charge, in fact some ppl don't even know they have it or not, but since the stupid access price, there's no dealership markup (or as they claim) so doing these two services for free like GM and Honda will mean that the dealership is loosing 600 dollar every time they sell a vehicle.

you can always wait till 2004 october/november to get a 500~1000 CDN cash back deal. but you know, that mean those car are a year old already.
or you can do what i did, just get a plain 4 banger, 33,000 CDN after all those taxes and such (14.5%, i'm in BC)

it's pretty good deal to goto the state and buy one there, but as i remember, there's a catch to that, it's like the vehicle have to be at least one years old before it can be considered a "canadian car", something like that. even if you are buying across province (buying car in alberta when you live in BC) similiar concept applies, you have to wait a period of time b4 the car can be ship to other places. anyway i am not very sure abotu that.
chuchurocket
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:53 pm

Do other car makers do the same thing, or are we talking only Toyota?
If Toyota is the only car maker doing this, I'd have a really hard time justifying buying one of their cars.

Postby chuchurocket » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:02 pm

BMW canada, (i'm not sure about US) also has a similiar agreement that all dealership can take only somewhere around 1000$CDN off the most. but i dunno whether the dealership still has mark-up or the sales has comission or not.

i believe all dealership is moving toward this direction, soon honda/acura will probably do the same. makers like GM will probably take a few years yet, since htey are offering something like 0% finance and up to 5000$ cash back without having yo ugoign to the ddeaership anyway. toyota can do this cuz they have a line of loyal customer and even they raise their price by a bit they can still maintain their sales, also the access price allows the dealership to have their own "territory" that they won't have to "compete" or "beat" each other's price.
chuchurocket
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Price Comparison - US vs. Canada - SLE V6 2004 Solara H

Postby angelo » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:42 pm

royaloakranger wrote:SLE V6 2004 Solara (no navi)

The US Kelly Blue Book "invoice" price = $25,213 (= $33,785 Canadian)

Recent post with dreaded folder = $24,905 (= $33,372 Canadian)

Canadian Toyota Access = $28526 (= $37,241 Canadian)

Plus 14.5% Fed & Provincial Tax = $32,661 (= $42,639 Canadian)

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! What's a crazy Canuck to do? Even if you were to add on a 7% State Tax To KBB invoice you would be at $26,977 ($36,149 CDN)

Bottom Line: That's $6490 more up here in Canada (a $4,971 US difference).

I think US Toyota may have an agreement with Canada Toyota not to sell/register their vehicles to Canadian addresses.

So in love with this car yet cryin' my eyes out at the heavy Canadian price tag. Please help!

note that canadian SLE comes fully loaded only incl. V6, VSC and front and rear side curtain airbags.
angelo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Bargaining at dealerships

Postby Someone » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:58 am

I am not exactly pro at this trade, but my mom is. She is financial adviser by trade so I let her make serious purchases for me. I am signing up bill of sale on Satarday and becomming owner of new 2004 black Solara SE-V6 Sport. Sticker Price was 778$ per month with 0 down. My mom knocked it down to 700$ per month and dealer said that they will be willing to beat it too. So, if they tell you that they can not lower the price, it is pile of crap. Just a way to trick you into paying maximum. (that is canadian over 60 month)
Someone

Postby kubi » Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:32 pm

Where do they have the sticker price broken down into monthly payments? They cannot predict what kind of rate you will get, therefore it's not even possible to have a sticker price at a monthly rate. 700 a month? You doin 36 months?
Please stop humping my car, owner privilege!
kubi
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Bargaining at dealerships

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:17 am

Someone wrote:I am not exactly pro at this trade, but my mom is. She is financial adviser by trade so I let her make serious purchases for me. I am signing up bill of sale on Satarday and becomming owner of new 2004 black Solara SE-V6 Sport. Sticker Price was 778$ per month with 0 down. My mom knocked it down to 700$ per month and dealer said that they will be willing to beat it too. So, if they tell you that they can not lower the price, it is pile of crap. Just a way to trick you into paying maximum. (that is canadian over 60 month)

i'm not fully understanding your post, so assume i ma only guessing your true intention if i got osmething wrong here

a v6 se sport is about 32700 cdn$. with tax and everything will come up to aorund 38000 somehting assuming u have 14.5% tax BOTH GST and PST
and u are paying 700 (assumed tax included)x60, which is 42000 total

are you getting what i'm trying to say now?

OF COURSE they are willing to give u a "deal", because outside the 38000 something for the car itself, anything up to the 42000 u r paying is PURE PROFIT. dealers u went are cutting u a deal on FINANCING RATE%, and even if they cut it down from 5.9 standard to 0.1% they still make profit. cuz u are paying OVER MSRP, you did not knocked "STICKER PRICE" off by even a penny.

what access toyota price is , if the car cost 30,000 MSRP, it wll cost 30,000 for the dealer to buy the car form the districutor/factory, so if they sell the car "UNDER" MSRP eg, selling 30,000 msrp toyota car for 28,000. then the toyota dealer will be LOOSING 2000 everytime they sell that car. and this is how toyota dealer's making money, with their 5.9% high financing rate. in other word, "if you go for the monthly instead of paying once and for all, no matter how much$$ u knocked off on the monthly, yo uare still paying over MSRP"

take my car for example, 33000 CDN is what i paid and what the MSRP is. i paid everything in one shot, taxes, MSRP, everythign, without knocking the PRICE off by 1 cent.

but if i go for the monthly, i iwll be paying something like 620 per month, even if i manage to knock it down to let's say, 580 per month, it's still 580x60 = 34800, by knocking the monthly down 40 dollar per month, i am still OVERPAYING msrp by 1800 dollar, i DID NOT get any where cheaper than MSRP

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5