[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - New Tires Needed
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

New Tires Needed

New Tires Needed

Postby know1uno » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:23 pm

I've got a 2006 Toyota Solara SE V-6 with about 26k miles on it and need new tires.

My older Solara, 2002, had Yokohomas on them and I really like them. Went to the Firestone store today and the guy was telling me either Bridgestones or Falkens were good tires.

Bridgestones were Potenza G019 Grids

Falkens were Ziex ZE912

Are both good tires? Are they better than Yokohamas? I really like my Yokohamas on my previous Solara.

Thanks!
know1uno
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:02 pm

I have the G019 grids. They are fantastic all seasons. I love them in the rain especially. In the snow, they aren't great though. I have no complaints about them. Dry traction is great, rain traction/hydroplane resistance is outstanding. They aren't snow tires, so that's really N/A. I'm not at all nervous about using them in the snow, they just aren't the best. Tread-wear is very good. I could go on and on about the G019, but to answer your question I would say, "Yes they are good tires, probably better than the Falkens or the Yokes." and they are probably cheaper than the Yokes too.

G019 FTW!!! Not many all seasons even come close. :sweet:
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Just for clarification, I am in no way affiliated with Bridgestone.
They are just awesome tires. :D
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby know1uno » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks for the recommendation on these tires.

I'm not buying the Falkens, especially since I'd never heard of them.

Like I said, I previously had Yoko's and was happy with them, but now that I think about it, I had to replace two of them fairly quickly compared to what they were "supposed" to be rated at.

Normally, where I live, we don't have that much snow, but last week we had 12.5 inches in 24 hours. That is a rarity.

Just would like to find a site I could research to make sure that the Bridgestones are one of the best tires for that vehicle.

Any websites you'd recommend or any one else for that matter?

I don't have to buy them tomorrow, but in order to pass my state inspection, I need to purchase by the end of the month.

:D
know1uno
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby krawzyazn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm

what you never heard of falken lol wow
2002 2AZ-FE SILVER Toyota Solara
<B>FIRST 2AZ Gen 1.5 Solara with Headers!!!</b>

<B>http://WWW.Obamastinks.net</B>
krawzyazn
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby Ruski » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:55 pm

krawzyazn wrote:what you never heard of falken lol wow

Are You serious , Falken are amazing performance tires :drinking: :drinking:
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Go to www.tirerack.com

It's a great resource.
Also, Falken is huge in the motorsports arena, they are however somewhat of an unknown name to the regular guy.
I have experience with Falken and can vouch for their quality.

If you want to see a selection of Falkens, and others, go to www.vulcantire.com
I have bought from both Tire Rack, and Vulcan. Both are very reputable.

I'd still go with the Stones though. :D
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby jetbtkng » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:04 pm

thats what i run for street, falken 452's, great tires............ :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team
solaraguy idiot racing team

My New Tires

Postby red2002solara » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:52 am

I managed to run my original tires on my 06 Solara SLE V6 for 49,000 miles. I replaced them with Goodyear Triple Tread tires, 80,000 mile warranty on them.

Tires overall are freakin expensive.
red2002solara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby know1uno » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:24 am

Nope, I'm very serious, I've never heard of Falken tires. Just not into cars and motor sports like many on this forum are.

I'll go check out that website recommended.

Thinking I'll go with the Bridgestones unless something really changes my mind.
know1uno
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Ruski » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:44 am

Stick with bridgestone. No need for falkens unless you want performance then there's also draw backs to performance tires also. Bridgestone will be your best option for Na set up, both are great companies
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby linmk2 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:42 pm

My Solara came with Bridgestones and I just replaced them at 48,000. I think that's very good service. The replacements were G109. I paid $825 or so for them. However, when I purchased the car, Gulf States Toyota had a 100,000 mile warranty on the tires. The only catch was the tires had to be rotated every 5000 miles. I did that with every oil/filter change at the Dealership. GST honored the warranty, but the replacement was done on Halloween, I did not get my money till just a week ago. I was not reimbursed for the whole thing, but I got back $750. Not bad. GST no longer offers the tire warranty. The dealership no longer offers $29.95 oil, filter, and tire rotations for the life of the car either. So if I buy something new from them, no more cheap oil changes. Going back to the tires. I find them good riding and quiet. Good wet grip too. My area never gets road coating snow, so I can't comment on that.
Howard
Arctic Frost Pearl/Ivory, Navi 2006 SLE Convertible
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DriDed » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:08 pm

My dad's 2003 Accord V6 uses the same Falken tires that you mentioned, those are very good dry traction tires, haven't drove it during rainy weather but my dad is not complaining about it so far.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby NightRider » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:09 am

Yoko's all day for me I run 215/50's r17 on my stock rims. FYI I have Yoko's YK520's. This is my second set and I just bought them last week. I put 44k on them w/ tire rotations every 5k though and that was a big factor to longer tread life. I love yokos cause of the grip and the style of these tires and most importantly the price! I've always been satisfied w/ how they perform.

IMO I think bridgestone tires are crap I have experienced two sets of them. The road nose with them is bad, and I don't like the side walls of them. And what I mean by that is the round-ish bubblish side to them. Makes car look funny to me. Plus they are expensive as hell, paying 800-900$ for some damn rubber to go on your rims is hwy robbery to me. But not everyone will agree with me.

I hope my opinion helped you. I know its a bit long but I wanted to share my thoughts.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5