[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Clean your throttle body
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Clean your throttle body

carbon deposit at 40K?

Postby bigpow » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:45 pm

Hey, I just got back from 40K oil change and the dealer told me that I've got carbon build-up inside my throttle body..

I've got a Gen2 (2004), isn't it too soon for my car to develope this condition?

After reading 5 pages of DIY throttle body cleaning, I (who is mechanically challenged) am thinking to do it myself.

Is there any difference between the Gen1/1.5 and Gen2, in terms of cleaning the TB? Has anyone with Gen2 done this DIY TB cleaning?

Do I need to disconnect the battery to perform this?

Lots of questions, thanks in advance!
bigpow
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Ruski » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:52 pm

i cleaned mine at 40K when i got the car now I'm at 80k but this time i want to take the throttle body off and clean the intake manifold a little to.. You think its a good idea ??
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SPF 0 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:55 pm

Just playing devil's advocate, I have trouble believing that the pressurized solution from a dealer doesn't clean better than that from a spray can.
'05 Black Solara Convertible SLE, Gold Pinstriping, red calipers, lower grille, OBX pedals, Solara door sills, and OEM splash guards.
SPF 0
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby lilm » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:33 pm

^^ dont understand your post...?

and yes always disconnect your battery at least the neg. side when doing any matience
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Ruski » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:12 am

^^^ same... that didn't answer my question
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:04 am

Ruskimafia wrote:i cleaned mine at 40K when i got the car now I'm at 80k but this time i want to take the throttle body off and clean the intake manifold a little to.. You think its a good idea ??

For gen 1,1.5 the manifold is easy just take of the acis plate then you can fit your hole hand in there
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby lilm » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:55 pm

ruskin.......just do it the can costs like 2-3 dolla and it takes like 20 min to finish everything and i cant hurt if you dont go crazy.... i was very conservitive with the spray and tooth brush and then i changed my oil so i would have no worries :)
[quote="PhreakdOut"]Nice Jeff. I can't even get fat chicks to pose with my cars. [/quote]
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Ruski » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:14 pm

^^^ no, im not worried about doing the cleaning. i just want to take off the whole throttle body and clean the intake manifold while im already cleaning the body.But thanks
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Midias » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:48 pm

Ruskimafia wrote:^^^ no, im not worried about doing the cleaning. i just want to take off the whole throttle body and clean the intake manifold while im already cleaning the body.But thanks

If you have a gen 1 do it from the back where the acis plate is it will be easier and you will get better results.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby siennasc98 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:23 pm

Ruskimafia wrote:i cleaned mine at 40K when i got the car now I'm at 80k but this time i want to take the throttle body off and clean the intake manifold a little to.. You think its a good idea ??

I always remove the throttle body. I have to see what areas do I need to clean specially the IAC valve.

Image Image

Dismantled IAC valve.

Image Image

Looks like new again and ready for battle.

siennasc98
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby anttarz » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:33 pm

nice job cleaning
1999 Solara SLE V6 - Complete TRD Suspension (Struts, Springs, RSB, & FSTB) - OBX Headers, Random Tech w/ TRD Exhaust, 18" Kosei K1 TS, HIDs
anttarz
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ruski » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:35 pm

Great pics.. i guess ill do that to my Solara and while doing mine , Do my dads Sienna 00 w/ 140k
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Same procedure for Gen 2?

Postby nickabbey » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:34 pm

Hi, I saw someone else posted a similar quetion in this tread, but I didn't see a response.

The short version:
I want to know if the same procedure will work on my 4 banger gen 2. It's a 2004 with 44k miles on it. The dealer wants $1500.00 to replace the throttle body and the pedal sensor. I think cleaning will help and save me an a$$load of money.

The long version (I write way too much sometimes, so you can skip this part unless you're curious):

I already tried this but failed and am looking for some insight as to why. I'm mechanically inclined, but not a mechanic.

My whole problem is that the check engine light came on and a day later I started seeing this new behavior: I turned the key any my idle was normal at 900. Then it immediately dropped at a steady rate until the engine died. This happened in a span of about 10 or 15 seconds. If I gun the engine after turning the key and never let it get under 1000 rpm, the pedal responds and I can drive starting this way in neutral and dropping it in to drive while around 1-1100 rpm. If I ever let it get below 1k, the pedal stops responding and the idle dies steadily. This is still happening. The dealer put it on the diagnostic machine and told me that the throttle body needs to be replaced.

I thought I'd be able to open the valve and clean out the whole throttle body, but the valve wouldn't give easily and I didn't want to force it. I have the service manuals, so I learned that it's controlled electronically. I spent a half hour looking for a manual control, but only found the oval shaped wire harness on the right side of the TB and couldn't find anything about it in the manual. I gave up thinking that either it's not there or I just wasn't going to find it today. I cleaned what I could get at inside the the throttle body (above the valve) which looked pretty clean and shiny all around. I picked up nasty black gunk when wiping my rag around the edge of the valve as deep as I could get.

I think it helped and I want to clean it better. I think it helped because now it's not idling down and dying, but the pedal still doesn't respond if I let it go below 1K RPM. Even if I have to pay for the pedal sensor to be replaced by a pro, I'd rather not blow close to a grand on the TB replacement.
nickabbey
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby PiterNYC » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:11 pm

I did it today, my solara has over 120k and i guess it was never cleaned before there was so much sh**, now its way better
PiterNYC
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SPF 0 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:35 am

I was trying to say is that I trouble believing that a spray can can clean as well as a highly-pressurized cleaning machine from the dealer.

But I could be wrong.
'05 Black Solara Convertible SLE, Gold Pinstriping, red calipers, lower grille, OBX pedals, Solara door sills, and OEM splash guards.
SPF 0
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5